Card/Deck Humans

CML

Contributor

some other cards that should be in anyway, so no reason to double

edit: i guess sometimes this guy gets a counter but it's unbeatable all the time anyway

Laz

Developer
Don't forget the super sweet anti-human tech!

I could also see doubling up on Champion...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I dunno, there's not much to this theme. A few months back, I started writing a long primer for this exact topic, before I realized it basically came down to the three mainstays that CML already covered. Optionally, if you want an enabler:

You probably already have a bunch of incidental humans, especially in white. Some notable off-colour ones:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Write more about incidental human support people. I need to see what the options are. And only if the stuff is playable in an attacking deck. Trinket Mage is already pretty iffers.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think I've seen nearly every colour combination for humans except blue here, actually. WB, WR, Naya, and Junk. The latter two have gone 3-0.

There's always fun tricks to pull off:

The most powerful human:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think I've seen nearly every colour combination for humans except blue here, actually. WB, WR, Naya, and Junk. The latter two have gone 3-0.

How many of each "humans matter" card do you run? I'm thinking of making a package for humans that overrides Lynxes with Champions and guarantees humans in lots of other slots.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I run three Champions, and one of each of the other cards. But I could see making a case for doubling up on Mayor and Xathrid Necromancer. They're both solid cards even without amassing a bevy of humans. I've seen Mayor churn out a crapton of werewolves on his backside, and the Necromancer is a poor man's Kitchen Finks even by his lonesome.

I also run double Experiment One, but he's just incidentally a human.

Threw in 2 Champion of Parish and 1 Xathrid Necromancer for the last draft. Naturally somebody picked up a first pick Champ, nabbed all the fixing, and went 5 color Human. It was sweet.

Champion of the Parish, Burning-Tree Emissary -> Sylvan Library, Shardless Agent -> Bob

CML

Contributor
i like the bonds of faith idea

do keep in mind that my cube naturally has 51 humans, which is 3-4 times the size of any other tribe with explicit support. ergo the search is not for playable humans but for human enablers, of which there appear to be ... those three.

as we've discussed recently i'm reluctant to break singleton unless cards are both super-awesome and work poorly as one-ofs (or are cantrips), so here i don't see any need to double up.

i'm sure i've run these searches before but
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o:human&s=cname&v=card

i like the bonds of faith idea

do keep in mind that my cube naturally has 51 humans, which is 3-4 times the size of any other tribe with explicit support. ergo the search is not for playable humans but for human enablers, of which there appear to be ... those three.

as we've discussed recently i'm reluctant to break singleton unless cards are both super-awesome and work poorly as one-ofs (or are cantrips), so here i don't see any need to double up.

i'm sure i've run these searches before but
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o:human&s=cname&v=card

This may be a spur of the moment thing due to clicking your link, but a part of me totally wants to make xRavenous Demon//Archdemon of Greed a thing. Seems like it could be fun.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, CubeTutor says I'm at 56 humans out of 384 cards, including the handful of enablers I run.

Chances are, you guys all run this theme, too, without even trying.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wish there were more retroactively humanized amplify creatures. Daru Stinger is kinda awesome except for the fact that it comes down after nearly all other humans in the cube.

CML

Contributor
Yeah, CubeTutor says I'm at 56 humans out of 384 cards, including the handful of enablers I run.

Chances are, you guys all run this theme, too, without even trying.

the Human theme is one of my proudest Cube design innovations because it's so simple and obvious, like a swan's melody turning into a symphony

really though i think far more successful themes are like this than they're like Zombies

Do you think this card will work for cubes? There are a lot of creature types that appear multiple times in and across colours (humans, soldiers, zombies, wizard, cleric etc.)

I like that it halfway works with zombie decks. It's also nice that boros decks have a bunch of extra things that proc from time to time. Little cutie interactions coming up have a similar appeal to rolling die in games. Density of champions is kind of a thing that feels weird for the player considering weenie decks and you start hating cards for being a Kor etc.

I don't hate it, honestly. His niche is an extremely powerful one, and 3 power is nothing to scoff at.

Unfortunately he dies to everything. Every 4-drop can't be resto angel.