Card/Deck Humans

CML

Contributor
While reading WG Sebald last night I scribbled in the margin, "Kaalia and Tariel, the best Nazi angels since Mengele"

Friend drafted a Worldknit deck from my cube. He happened to pick up a Mayor of Avabruck, and complained that he didn't want it in his deck. Then he cast it against my blue tempo deck turn 2 on the play, forcing me to FoW it, recurred it a couple times and eventually resolved it, only then realizing that all his creatures happened to be humans. I got wrecked.

Some parts of this combo might be poisonous/just too weak, but humanimator seems neat. Would work well in a Life from the Loam, Unburial Rites shell but they're also all humans.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
FSR had the best idea, hidden deep within his own cube thread: errata this bad girl to say Human. (It took Chris Taylor and his sharp eye to fish that idea out into the open.)

What other tribal cards from over the years would you also consider slapping the word Human over top?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
for anyone crossing creature types, this card usually becomes too good:
59.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
If you've been fishing in my cube thread, you may have seen I use Zombie/Vampire transparency and I will confirm Kalastria Highborn is amazing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta say, I liked the Human subtheme in James' cube much more than I thought I would. I do like Steppe Lynx still, but those Champions grew at a pretty steady pace.

Creature-type errata feels pretty innocuous to me, I think there's a lot of room there.

Side question: if you could errata any number of creature types, which creature types have mechanics that you would actually want to support in a cube environment?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Goblins have a lot going on, but if there is a clean way to make them work I haven't found it yet. Lackey in particular can lead to feel-bad awful games if you aren't careful with it. Matron, Ringleader, Recruiter, Warchief, Chieftain, Chiurgeon, Grenade, Warrens, Piledriver (maybe without obnoxious pro-blue), these cards all nicely support "omg, there are so many of them" theme that would be pretty cool if you could find a way to execute it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have reduced the human "theme" by taking out Mayor because it is not that great. Champion of the Parish and Xathrid Necromancer are still amazing cards, though
Exactly what I did. I now run two Champions and one Necromancer.

From the people who brought you Masques Rebels Linear and WB Rebels Linear, Presenting WB Humans Linear! (Cheering and abject whooping)

Tell me how it turns out it might be fun. I always thought Confidant and Xathrid were some of the cooler reasons to be in black and neither feels fucked-up powerful in cube. Great in revilark decks etc.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
From the people who brought you Masques Rebels Linear and WB Rebels Linear, Presenting WB Humans Linear! (Cheering and abject whooping)

Tell me how it turns out it might be fun. I always thought Confidant and Xathrid were some of the cooler reasons to be in black and neither feels fucked-up powerful in cube. Great in revilark decks etc.

It's a fun archetype actually, there are so many incidental humans flying around nowadays that it's ridiculously easy to get one counter on Champion of the Parish, at which point it is already good. If you make an effort to draft around it, it will easily get two or more counters, at which point it's well above the curve. Xathrid, likewise, is already decent with only a few other humans. After all, it replaces itself with a relevant creature type in the worst case, and in the best case you're running it with either a lot of humans, at which point a Wrath of God just looks silly in your opponent's hand, or with things like Braids, Smokestack or Goblin Bombardment. I've never been disappointed in either card, and doesn't feel nearly as linear as you'ld think because there's humans in every color.

Yeah I had been cubing with erics humans for a while now they never really came together for me but I think that's because I was in the colour at the wrong time. I need the average card in that deck to be of a pretty good average power level because it doesn't find answers well and none of the cards fix draws or spike really high in power (if you are limiting yourself to an aggro curve). Making decks like that more reliable while still being skill testing and varied was one of my bigger interests at one point.

It's certainly a more interaction heavy version of WW, but baring certain cards I think it's still a "Go-Under" strategy that wants to wasteland and mana tithe its way to victory after making some credible threats. White just isn't red in it's ability to play all game pressure, but revilark and other colours certainly help. I really think WW splash black has legs in a lot of riptide cubes but I don't see it very often myself for some reason.

On the other subject, I remember seeing that thread about "Adding Synergy to White" and remembering like a week later that half my white midranged decks are wrath survival decks. They're built on graveyard effects and being able to reset boards at very little loss while keeping up pressure / blockers. White is a great graveyard colour when you don't have to work too hard enabling and can just have a normal game going.