General Ixlan Spoiler

So some new and shiny pictures of spoilers rolling in? Check out this:
Jace-Cunning-Castaway-Ixalan-Spoiler-190x265.png
Not super powerful I think? But legendary superyype! And cool ult kinda chaining outwards and upwards if you can stay ahead on board. Infinite Jace's with doubling season...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, you can now have multiple Jaces under your control, as long as they don't have the same name. They're axing the planeswalker uniqueness rule completely! Unraveling rules complexity at the cost of flavor. I'm all for it to be honest :)

treasuremap.jpg treasurecove.jpg
Wow! Nice front end effect, and either insane ramp or good card draw (or both!) on the back side. Awesome way to bring back transformation. Doesn't score points on the front sidea word count, but could easily see this in Ramp and Control strategies in various formats.

Laz

Developer
I'm excited about the planeswalker rule change because it means I can run all the Lilianas without reservation

Is this rule change entirely for Cube?

I mean, in which other format is this change actually desirable? It doesn't or at least is hugely unlikely to affect Limited, since I am not sure if the same Planeswalker has had two different variants within sets which were drafted together, and even then, both need to end up in the same deck... I am sure it has happened, possibly in some crazy draft format, but it certainly doesn't seem like an issue that is worth changing rules over. Constructed then? I would be very surprised if 'Planeswalker saturation' wasn't on Wizard's danger-list given the last couple of years of standard, and this rule-change likely doesn't help at all in that regard. I hardly think the inability to have two variants of the same named Planeswalker at once was stifling deck-building. I am also not convinced that it increases 'grok-ability' by creating the common Legendary keyword, given Planeswalkers already break basically every other rule in the game.

That said, I mostly play cube, where this change is awesome, so yey! Plus, I think that Jace ultimate is adorable, and it is only possible with the new rules, so yey! I just think that it would be interesting to understand the thinking behind it.

CML

Contributor
So some new and shiny pictures of spoilers rolling in? Check out this:
View attachment 1451
Not super powerful I think? But legendary superyype! And cool ult kinda chaining outwards and upwards if you can stay ahead on board. Infinite Jace's with doubling season...

and those gay ripped overalls

it hasn't felt this lame to be associated with magic since i was 12 years old

coincidentally, i also didn't play then

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I love the frame on the back side of this.

I don't know... It's certainly evocative of treasure maps, but it really, realy clashes with the clean and crisp design of the regular card frame.

Also, anyone else find it jarring that they're introducing treasure tokens to the set? Would have loved backwards compatibility with gold tokens.

Laz

Developer
Gold tokens don't require tapping if I recall correctly, so they play oddly with Convoke from Kaladesh. Of course, by oddly, I mean, 'You can pay costs in any order'... I guess it is helpful for players to learn that?

Edit: Gild

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Gold tokens don't require tapping if I recall correctly, so they play oddly with Convoke from Kaladesh. Of course, by oddly, I mean, 'You can pay costs in any order'... I guess it is helpful for players to learn that?

Edit: Gild

I don't think that's right... /me searches.

While casting a spell with convoke, if you sacrifice Wild Cantor to add mana to your mana pool, Wild Cantor won’t be on the battlefield when you pay that spell’s costs. It can’t be tapped to help cast that spell using convoke.

Anyway, an astute Reddit user pointed out Gold tokens don't have a subtype, Treasures do. This makes them a little bit more intuitive I guess with all the 'treasures matter' cards. Still, they could have at least made Curse of Opulence create Treasure tokens :(

CML

Contributor
Screen_Shot_2017-08-30_at_4.02.55_PM.png

See, I do like pirates and dinosaurs

CML

Contributor
maybe pirate and dinosaur land would've been good if they had a creative team—this set is clearly the work of an algorithm that panders to nine-year-olds

and if there was a creative team behind it, they failed the turing test

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Okay, agree to disagree! They're making a card game first and foremost, flavor should always take a backseat to the game-related stuff. They can make a fantastic world, but if the cards suck or the set has a negative impact on various formats, they have a much bigger problem on their hands than if they printed a bland set with great cards and gameplay. I can certainly understand why you would dislike the pirates vs dinos (vs vampires vs merfolk) narrative, but you can't deny that the setting stands out from everything else they did recently. They created a world that will have instantly recognizable art and flavor, and that's really all I expect from the creative department. If I want a gripping story I'll grab a good book.

Also, that Casper and Hobbes comic is gold :)

Art is definitely great, not quite there power level wise for me at least. RW isn't really a big creatures or token based strategy for me so this isn't all that appealing. A 0 ability pooping out 3/3 tramplers isn't bad, but being a 5 drop kind of kills it. I don't think it has enough impact at that point of the game for me. This is going to be bonkers in retail limited though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Aww she's beasterblossom.

Also cnl: even if I'm more on board, please keep up with the analogies about how this set is trash creatively. That Turing test one is getting proverbialy retweeted :p