Jason Waddell's Cube

Chris Taylor

Contributor
theros -- anger of the gods, ashiok, boon satyr, chained to the rocks,erebos, elspeth, firedrinker satyr, fanatic of mogis, gray merchant, nylea, polukranos, purphoros, god of the forge, soldier of the pantheon, spear of heliod, underworld cerberus, whip of erebos
cmd -- ophiomancer, sudden demise, unexpectedly absent, toxic deluge, curse of shallow graves

fencing ace
aven mindcensor
mirran crusader
gideon jura
ludevic’s test subject
rotting rats
blood scrivener
vampire hexmage
dark ritual
unearth
stupor
jackal pup
torch fiend
squee
smash to smithereens
act of treason
tuktuk the explorer
birthing pod (3 is fine)
rancor
kozilek’s predator

duskmantle seer

Ace/Crusader = Don't cut double strike! Though I would swap crusader for either another paladin or fabled hero, if only for feelbads.
Mindcensor = he's kinda Eh for me. Does pod need this hosing? I know it leads to sweet moments where they find it anyways, but has he actually been good?
Gideon = Eh, maybe. Ask your drafters.

Subject = Ignore CML
Rotting Rats = I really wish this card was better
Scrivener = Jason I think even you know this is bad at this point
Hexmage = Has this been good? It kills walkers, does it do anything else?
Ritual = Is this just for black aggro? I'm not sure how this fits
Unearth = Ignore CML
Stupor = Eh, it could go. You want enough disruption, but I've always found this one to be mediocre

Jackel Pup = I'm not a fan either. Another 2 power 1 drop could get doubled up on instead, IMO. If you feel otherwise, Firedrinker Satyr
Torch Fiend = Ignore CML
Squee = This isn't a red card :p Keep it though, sweet with lots of stuff
Smash to Smithereens = Needs a focused environment, which I think you might have. Still annoyingly narrow though.

Pod = Worth looking into. Didn't you say it's rarely correct to play 4? Does your table support multiple pod drafters?
Rancor = Ignore CML
Predator = Polukranos seems less interesting, IMO. He could go. You don't run opposition do you?

Seer = Ignore CML, Ashiok sucks

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ace/Crusader = Don't cut double strike! Though I would swap crusader for either another paladin or fabled hero, if only for feelbads.
Mindcensor = he's kinda Eh for me. Does pod need this hosing? I know it leads to sweet moments where they find it anyways, but has he actually been good?
Gideon = Eh, maybe. Ask your drafters.

Subject = Ignore CML
Rotting Rats = I really wish this card was better
Scrivener = Jason I think even you know this is bad at this point
Hexmage = Has this been good? It kills walkers, does it do anything else?
Ritual = Is this just for black aggro? I'm not sure how this fits
Unearth = Ignore CML
Stupor = Eh, it could go. You want enough disruption, but I've always found this one to be mediocre

Jackel Pup = I'm not a fan either. Another 2 power 1 drop could get doubled up on instead, IMO. If you feel otherwise, Firedrinker Satyr
Torch Fiend = Ignore CML
Squee = This isn't a red card :p Keep it though, sweet with lots of stuff
Smash to Smithereens = Needs a focused environment, which I think you might have. Still annoyingly narrow though.

Pod = Worth looking into. Didn't you say it's rarely correct to play 4? Does your table support multiple pod drafters?
Rancor = Ignore CML
Predator = Polukranos seems less interesting, IMO. He could go. You don't run opposition do you?

Seer = Ignore CML, Ashiok sucks

Crusader is making way for Fabled Hero.
Mindcensor is sweet. It's not just Pod, it's the double fetches. I run it in decks, helps for say, UW tempo.
Control is already slightly underpowered, getting rid of Gideon doesn't help.

Rotting Rats actually gets played in 3 - 0 decks. Unearth (the ability) + Gravecrawler is kind of baller .
Scrivener is awful. I don't know what creature should go there though. Anybody have suggestions?
Hexmage: eh.... kind of. It's pretty borderline
Ritual: Probably could afford to go. It leads to some sweet plays / openers, but I wouldn't call it essential.
Stupor: Been on the fence for a long time, I'll bring in the new sweeper to bolster control.

Squee was never red here either. But I think I'm taking it out.

Pod: The thing is, it's not correct to run 4, but what usually happens is that two people will be interested in them and fight over them, and we end up with a 1 / 3 split between them. Pod is a weird card because it was kind of shit with only 1 in your deck, but it's sweet with 3. I don't know how I feel about 2. But I do feel that running 4 is important for the environment.

CML

Contributor
after playing the very fetchy, poddy, scapeshifty modern i have a suggestion for a mindcensor "upgrade" (lol usman words, i was inspired by "correct")

40.jpg

fabled hero is hearthfire hobgoblin in cube
cmc2 black dudes: skirsdag high priest and nether traitor

pod is OK with 1 in your deck, i've noticed that though it's less of an incentive to draft around and therefore you might just drop it entirely, it can also make the decks run better without it and sometimes better with it

i think you need the red artifact hate with fun stuff like SFM into Bskull running around (Manic Vandal is insane in power Cube) but that was really just a bit of passive-aggressive bitchery at said artifact section

poluky is super-fun and not easy to play optimally (ahhh activated abilities) if also a strong card that's a giant headache to deal with.

i love rancor (it evokes more childhood memories than http://www.salon.com/2001/03/23/wizards/) but it has been an abortion in my cube for ages, so i had to throw out my baby, and the idea that this might be the case for other cubes deserved a float if also a rebuke

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Green is an aggro splash color in my cube (or sometimes, main in Selesnya), and Rancor is one of the main incentive cards.

Also...

Turn 4 20 damage.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Here is what I am considering:

Out:

In:

Anybody think I should be more aggressive with changes? Am I missing out on new toys?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's mostly shuffling around where I file it in my list ( {G} -> {W}), but I posted it in IN and OUT so you could line up which cards were replacing which, making it easier to gripe and nitpick.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Mission accomplished!

I like the changes in general, I'd keep Mortars over Anger though. Does your Cube need another red sweeper?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Anger is coming in regardless. I like anti-zombie tech where I can find it. It's mostly between Mortars and Sudden Demise. I just think Sudden Demise is a cool design and want to see how it plays.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I've wanted to push control a bit more, and red seems like a fun place to do it. I'd be happy if Big Boros (hi CML) became a playable archetype. Well, 3 - 0 playable.

Reactions: CML
What about cutting Wolfir Silverheart/Vorapede and Unearth?

I think those green 5 drops are the two least interesting, and green seems fairly top-heavy already. I also am surprised you don't play Genesis. I'm sure you tried it and cut it, but it just seems to work well with Pod and GY interactions.

Unearth is a good card, but so many of the black creatures equal to or less than 3 cmc come back already.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Assuming the changes above, I'm not a huge fan of lifebane zombie, he doesn't sound interesting to me (Lots of mediocre times with Dauthi Marauder) and the hosing factor rubs me the wrong way. I think he could go.
I like this over unearth because this way you're cutting pressure for pressure, even if curse is worse on an empty board. Sweet with manlands though.

Assuming you want it, Thragtusk could come out for curse of predation. He seems like a less cool more durdly Vorapede in my eyes. Silverheart could also go, but I like him better :p

Jim: Genesis works well with pod, but it is a ponderously slow card, and rather mediocre if you don't have pod. Jason's cube has been traditionally pretty fast, what with the steppe lynxs and all, so genesis never got off the ground.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What about cutting Wolfir Silverheart/Vorapede and Unearth?

I think those green 5 drops are the two least interesting, and green seems fairly top-heavy already. I also am surprised you don't play Genesis. I'm sure you tried it and cut it, but it just seems to work well with Pod and GY interactions.

Unearth is a good card, but so many of the black creatures equal to or less than 3 cmc come back already.

I don't think they're that interesting either, but they are both pretty fundamental in getting me to want to play Green, which is certainly not a powerhouse in my cube. I would feel more inclined to avoid that color without them, and the Green curse doesn't feel like it's pulling a ton of weight.

I know it's weird, but what do you think about one of these as (temporary) a cut:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming the changes above, I'm not a huge fan of lifebane zombie, he doesn't sound interesting to me (Lots of mediocre times with Dauthi Marauder) and the hosing factor rubs me the wrong way. I think he could go.
I like this over unearth because this way you're cutting pressure for pressure, even if curse is worse on an empty board. Sweet with manlands though.

Assuming you want it, Thragtusk could come out for curse of predation. He seems like a less cool more durdly Vorapede in my eyes. Silverheart could also go, but I like him better :p

Jim: Genesis works well with pod, but it is a ponderously slow card, and rather mediocre if you don't have pod. Jason's cube has been traditionally pretty fast, what with the steppe lynxs and all, so genesis never got off the ground.

Like, my green ramp is already precariously positioned enough, and it feels like you all are suggesting cuts that make it even worse. The 5's are always the incentive cards to playing ramp. If anything they're more essential than say, Craterhoof.

Lifebane isn't so random. I tracked 10 drafts and 90% of the decks played green or white. And it's a zombie. But I probably like that cut more than Unearth. Unearth is a pretty big part of the theoretical Smallpox deck, that seeks to create a constrained resource situation and translate it into tempo by recurring guys like Bloodghast and popping Geralf's Messengers onto the field with Unearth.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
oh fuck that get regrowth out of here, I didn't even see that :p
It's got the same problem as all the mirage tutors: Very little is worth going a card/tempo down to get. It's a little closer because it's more demonic tutor than vampiric tutor, but still. Witness is fine because it adds to the board, but regrowth is less good usually.

Survival could go, but it does at least have you drawing live to bombs in the ramp deck, and does sweet things with gravecrawler.
Keep Sylvan in. One of the best green cards, especially with all the fetchlands. Like top, but way way better since you can draw extra cards if nothing there is exciting, and you don't need to keep paying mana and recasting the fucker.
Call of the herd is a solid card. Hardly exciting, but name a green 3 drop other than eternal witness that is

Lifebane isn't so random. I tracked 10 drafts and 90% of the decks played green or white. And it's a zombie. But I probably like that cut more than Unearth. Unearth is a pretty big part of the theoretical Smallpox deck, that seeks to create a constrained resource situation and translate it into tempo by recurring guys like Bloodghast and popping Geralf's Messengers onto the field with Unearth.

I guess I would just say that both Bloodghast and Messenger are already good with Small Pox. I'm thinking of lines of play involving Small Pox...t2 Small Pox discard Bloodghast, t3 land...t3 Small Pox, land drop, t4 Curse of Shallow Graves/Messenger...I don't see one that Unearth makes awesome. The best Unearth target I see is Bone Shredder or Fleshbag Maurader, which are both decent, but nothing too powerful. I think the Curse at least deserves testing, especially with the number of recursive guys in your cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
oh fuck that get regrowth out of here, I didn't even see that :p
It's got the same problem as all the mirage tutors: Very little is worth going a card/tempo down to get. It's a little closer because it's more demonic tutor than vampiric tutor, but still. Witness is fine because it adds to the board, but regrowth is less good usually.

Survival could go, but it does at least have you drawing live to bombs in the ramp deck, and does sweet things with gravecrawler.
Keep Sylvan in. One of the best green cards, especially with all the fetchlands. Like top, but way way better since you can draw extra cards if nothing there is exciting, and you don't need to keep paying mana and recasting the fucker.
Call of the herd is a solid card. Hardly exciting, but name a green 3 drop other than eternal witness that is

Yeah, I think Regrowth is the call. Taking out Call of the Herd to put in a green card that benefits from multiple bodies seems a little counterintuitive.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I would just say that both Bloodghast and Messenger are already good with Small Pox. I'm thinking of lines of play involving Small Pox...t2 Small Pox discard Bloodghast, t3 land...t3 Small Pox, land drop, t4 Curse of Shallow Graves/Messenger...I don't see one that Unearth makes awesome. The best Unearth target I see is Bone Shredder or Fleshbag Maurader, which are both decent, but nothing too powerful. I think the Curse at least deserves testing, especially with the number of recursive guys in your cube.

Entomb or Smallpox the Messenger, Unearth it. There are tons of other Unearth targets too. Eternal Witness loops, Snapcaster, etc.
It's been a pretty fun card, outside of the ideal Messenger play. But maybe it's too cutesy? I'm pretty enamored with it at the moment.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah smallpox discarding messenger --> unearth is a way sweeter play. I'd keep it in, and I think it's right to swap pressure for pressure here.

Oh man the thought of being wrathed out with a curse of shallow graves in play, then playing a land, recur bloodghast and swing. So satisfying :D

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah smallpox discarding messenger --> unearth is a way sweeter play. I'd keep it in, and I think it's right to swap pressure for pressure here.

Oh man the thought of being wrathed out with a curse of shallow graves in play, then playing a land, recur bloodghast and swing. So satisfying :D

Land, Bloodghast, swing, get zombie, Gravecrawler, Gravecrawler