Jason Waddell's Cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a secret admirer of this cube. After drafting it a lot of times on cubetutor I proxied it up and took it to GP Oakland and I've been playing with it all week. It is awesome. I'm now back in my homeland and I'm going to be playing it in central London tomorrow, too. (Penderel's Oak in Holborn on Saturday 31st at 12pm if there are any London-dwellers on this forum!)

I see from http://cubetutor.com/cubeblog/759 that you made the following changes post-M14:

< Bloodbraid Elf
> Huntmaster of the Fells

< Chandra, the Firebrand
> Chandra, Pyromaster

< Lotleth Troll
> Varolz, the Scar-Striped

< Greater Gargadon
> Young Pyromancer

< Zombie Cutthroat
> Lifebane Zombie

< Reins of Power
> Sphinx's Revelation

< Venser, the Sojourner
> Brainstorm

I had been wondering about Reins of Power and Zombie Cutthroat and although some of the cards that have gone are awesome (Lotleth Troll and Bloodbraid Elf!) the replacements all look great. Everyone loves the Brainstorm-fetchland interaction.

It would be cool if you used Cube Tutor's update option in future rather than deleting and recreating the whole list but I suspect you have your own list management going on that makes that less practical.

Anyway, not much to say just thanks for your great work on this cube and for sharing it - you are bringing enjoyment to the cubers of California and London!

Yes, those are indeed the current wave of changes. I manage the list in a .txt file then upload it from there, but I'll see if I can do the CubeTutor way next time.

Reins of Power was an experimental thing that combined with sac-outlets like Gargadon and Goblin Bombardment to form a 4-mana Plague Wind, but the deck just never comes together. Cutthroat was kind of sweet with pod (play it, flip it, turn it into a Grave Titan), but also a little terrible sometimes because Pod decks already pay a lot of life and nobody else wants the card.

Brainstorm #2 provides some latent help to Control decks by helping them a) find their answers easier and b) set up Terminus.

Huntmaster bolsters midrange and is super sweet with Pod.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Jason, what do your control decks normally look like and how good are they? I've been finding that in a creature-centric Cube with lots of contextually powerful cards instead of haymakers it's hard to put a decent control deck together.

Thomas, are you going to the SCG event in Cardiff in a few weeks?

Our last draft was won by an UWR control deck, and UW control made the finals of the draft before. Unfortunately I didn't write the UW deck down, and still need to write down the UWR deck.

Some control decks:
ezQU7UM.png

YK0uZtO.png

D6pM3PP.jpg

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
For what it's worth, Jason keeps whining to me about how he needs stuff like Baleful Strix to improve the woeful performance of his control decks. Bah. #cubeworldproblems

CML

Contributor
Ahhhh adding the second Brainstorm I see. Good call

Baleful Strix + Pride of the Clouds: bird tribal (anyone ever tried out Pride)? Seaside Haven for utility land support obviously.

The UW deck looks unbeatable, how's the whole "SFM in Legacy but actually Cube" thing working out?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't you hear that I don't actually play Magic anymore? Well, it's been a while. But this has always been me. Burn hard and burn out.

I tried drafting it on cube tutor a couple of times now and I am really impressed. There is a lot of depth lent to decks I have always been curious about and so many surprises. I have to say, I'm so baffled by the fact it's 360 cards, because I feel like I'm always seeing something new, though I believe it may just be that you've achieved something really cool in the overlap of purpose a lot of cards have so their relevance changes with the drafters context.

Super sweet, I have half a mind to take it to a school printer and proxy it up for the lads. New environments are always fun because you get a fresh chance to get to know its own quirks and frustrations!

I think my first draft involved 4 grave crawlers, survival of the fittest and vengevine! Does that sound like fun or what?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I tried drafting it on cube tutor a couple of times now and I am really impressed. There is a lot of depth lent to decks I have always been curious about and so many surprises. I have to say, I'm so baffled by the fact it's 360 cards, because I feel like I'm always seeing something new, though I believe it may just be that you've achieved something really cool in the overlap of purpose a lot of cards have so their relevance changes with the drafters context.

Super sweet, I have half a mind to take it to a school printer and proxy it up for the lads. New environments are always fun because you get a fresh chance to get to know its own quirks and frustrations!

I think my first draft involved 4 grave crawlers, survival of the fittest and vengevine! Does that sound like fun or what?

There are like 5 different zombie archetypes (RB Sacrifice, GB recursion, Zombie pod, Grixis, BW Ranger of Eos Zombies) that have been successful in our drafts. Did you manage to snag an Entomb for that deck?

EDIT: Also, several people have proxied this cube and came back with rave reviews, so I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Yeah I really like the 4 wastelands too. Land recursion feels like more than just a lock out deck, especially with the sacrifice trigger red enchantment.

I was a little sad to see how slim reanimator has become. Is rites in there even? I like to think of necrkmancy as about where im happiest with reanimator. I have picked up faithless looting in about half the drafts I started and felt good about it, and I think that's pretty special.

Is aggro always a heavily multicolor or heavy black deck? I've noticed I only ever get excited by black aggro or like 3 colour in your cube.

You just have to insert images man
Tymeret seems like such an attrition play. Has anyone tried Lyzolda? What do you think their kids would look like?

Insert how? And it seems sweet in the sacrifice deck. I have dreams of just chaining gravecrawler with him over and over. It's like zombies version of loam/assault

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm willing to cut him some slack in that he comes back and is a zombie.
Hot damn if we somehow got black tribal enchantment - zombie goblin bombardment I'd be like woah

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Because I am lazy and you guys have nothing else going on in your lives, anybody want to propose an in/out changelist for my cube that includes Theros and Commander?

CML

Contributor
theros -- anger of the gods, ashiok, boon satyr, chained to the rocks,erebos, elspeth, firedrinker satyr, fanatic of mogis, gray merchant, nylea, polukranos, purphoros, god of the forge, soldier of the pantheon, spear of heliod, underworld cerberus, whip of erebos
cmd -- ophiomancer, sudden demise, unexpectedly absent, toxic deluge, curse of shallow graves

21 cards in; for colors this is roughly 4,1,6,6,4 for W,U,B,R,G. 21 cuts

fencing ace
aven mindcensor
mirran crusader
gideon jura
ludevic’s test subject
rotting rats
blood scrivener
vampire hexmage
dark ritual
unearth
stupor
jackal pup
torch fiend
squee
smash to smithereens
act of treason
tuktuk the explorer
birthing pod (3 is fine)
rancor
kozilek’s predator

duskmantle seer

---

this was a really fun exercise, i did it in ~5 minutes whereas cutting 21 cards from my own cube would be torture (rather like editing my own writing) so next time i need to go after cards with a cleaver i think i'm just gonna ask y'all what isn't working out