Sets Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

All I desperately need from Capenna is 3-colored lands to beat Arcane Sanctum like Ketria Triome once beat Frontier Biveuac.
I am about 90% sure that the land cycle in Capenna will be Shard Colored triomes. I think they will probably be called something else though. I heard someone say that the name will be "(3-Color Demon Crime Family Name) Turf."

I'm also excited to see what a Bant demon looks like. Demons are cool, they're one of my favorite creature types to make customs for right after Angels.

I'm optimistic that they retained the essence of Kamigawa and it doesn't feel like a completely different plane. However, I share Ravnic's fear that the tone is too different from the original. I wouldn't read too much into the Collector Booster art, though. That probably just means the alternate arts are in that style (which doesn't appeal to me either) but that's an easy part of the set to ignore.

--------

I was so excited for the 2021 sets, except for Kaldheim, and guess which set I most liked in 2021? Yeah, Kaldheim.

This year, I'm excited for Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty and The Brothers' War.

Streets of New Capenna might be a good surprise.

I'm kind of pessimistic about Unfinity, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong since I loved Unstable. Also lukewarm on Dominaria United, but who know what it's going to have.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm really excited for this set, Neon Dynasty and Capenna look like they are going to be standouts from a flavor perspective. I hope they are closer to [...] Midnight Hunt in terms of card quality as opposed to Crimson Vow [...], I really want to utilize cards from these sets in my Cube.
Really now? Midnight Hunt had exactly one card I was interested in (Cathar Commando), while Crimson Vow had 15! So I'm hoping for Strixhaven or Crimson Vow (or even, dare I say it, Throne of Eldraine)! :D

I'm very open minded but I will agree this doesn't much feel like Kamigawa to me (SO FAR, yes).

I think it's also fair to point out that, increasingly, Magic isn't about what enfranchised players want anymore. Sure, they play endless lip-service to "fan favorites" with Modern Horizons but those are individual cards, not entire sets. They clearly decided to go after YOUNGER audiences with this direction. Manga fans. Hey, why not...there's quite a lot of them out there.

Maybe it sells better than the old one. If it does, we'll never see feudal Kamigawa again outside of supplemental sets and one-off's in (yep) Modern Horizons sets.

As far as alternate versions of cards goes, I think you'd be pretty insane not to expect a few japanese ones too, a la the Strixhaven mystical archives. It's Kamigawa. Oh, I know what would work. Make the collector versions FEUDAL VERSIONS of all these. I mean....that's exactly what a "signficant % of Magic players" will want. I know ravnic definitely isn't alone in his POV. If I were in that room deciding what to do, that might be it.

I am about 90% sure that the land cycle in Capenna will be Shard Colored triomes. I think they will probably be called something else though. I heard someone say that the name will be "(3-Color Demon Crime Family Name) Turf."

I'm also excited to see what a Bant demon looks like. Demons are cool, they're one of my favorite creature types to make customs for right after Angels.

Yeah.. I honestly don’t care that the 3-colored rare lands will be replicas of Triomes as long as they are 3-colored, pretty strong and in ally (which we know they will be)

Just give me the enemy half of the BFZ land cycle you cowards. That's all I'm waiting for with each spoiler season on a new plane.

You must have been pretty disappointed when we returned to Zendikar 6 years later and didn’t have any BFZ tango lands :p

Multiple sets have started with variants of disappointment and dislike from you. Have they all used the exact phrase "i hate this"? No, but the pessimism is palpable on spoiler seasons. I wouldn't have made the post if this was the first time.

I have literally made callouts on blanket pessimism in spoiler seasons before: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/khm-kaldheim-official-previews.3196/page-6#post-95528

AND I wasn't the only person to do it that very same thread: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/khm-kaldheim-official-previews.3196/page-6#post-95502

Have whatever opinions you want, but openly expressing hatred at this stage is like saying you hate a piece of artwork after the first 4 brushstrokes.

I don't get this respone either. I said you couldn't find another post by me where I express hatred and you linked me to two posts by you and Rasmus saying you don't like negative opinions being expressed during spoiler seasons, basically. My actual post was this:

So far I am not exited by Kaldheims mechanics. Boast is a narrower raid. Foretell is a more boring morph imo. Dfcs are a bit annoying during draft, so I try to avoid them. Snow is parasitic and hard to enable in cube. Tribal is similar, and I'm not a fan.

I just hope I can cube another showcase card or two and maybe get a nice white equipment or something.

Which is really not that negative. I mentioned before that there was already a card in the cool showcase frame I'd add and that I was hoping for more cool cards outside of the mechanics, which aren't for me. This is also how it ended up, I ignored boast/foretell/snow/mdfcs and still got 15 Kaldheim goodies for my cube.

I'd understand your agenda if I would always just say "meh, I hate it" whenever we got anything revealed from new sets, but that's totally not the case. Just recently I was very positive for both Innistrad sets, enthusiastic for MH2 and TSR before, neutral to postivie for AFR and I only really disliked Strixhavens flavor and mechanics. I go to boards/threads like this one to read people's thoughts and opinions and I also explain my points of view.

And here you have to understand, that old Kamigawa has a special place in my heart and of course I would've preferred them to give us simply more of what Kamigawa was, just like we got with our returns to Ravnica or the recent Innistrad/Zendikar visits. Also, Kamigawa fans where clamring to return to the plane for 15 years, always being told that it sold bad (and I think having shitty mechanics/stats and following Mirrordin block could've been avoided and make a huge difference today). And when we finally return it seems to be turned into some futuristic cyberpunk anime world, for the most part, which of course feels like a slap in the face. Add to that, that I don't like modern/futuristic looking world for my magics cards in general and of course I have a hard time not being upset.

Really now? Midnight Hunt had exactly one card I was interested in (Cathar Commando), while Crimson Vow had 15! So I'm hoping for Strixhaven or Crimson Vow (or even, dare I say it, Throne of Eldraine)! :D
True, VOW had a lot of cool designs. Most of the cards just weren't all that powerful, which means that a Cube playing in the lower portion of the power band is going to be able to utilize the fun cards more easily. The higher power options are kind of boring, though, which feels bad :confused:.

The set that must not be named
Oh come on, I loved that set ;)

I think it's also fair to point out that, increasingly, Magic isn't about what enfranchised players want anymore. Sure, they play endless lip-service to "fan favorites" with Modern Horizons but those are individual cards, not entire sets. They clearly decided to go after YOUNGER audiences with this direction.
I don't think that's a fair assessment. First, it assumes that enfranchised players are primarily middle-aged people who have been playing since the early 90's (which is increasingly not the case), but it also incenuates that younger people can't be enfranchised, which is completely un-true. I'm only 19 as I sit here writing this, and I'd be willing to bet I spend more time thinking about, writing about, and playing Magic than most people. "Young" definitely does not mean "not enfranchised."

Magic is just in a wierd transition state right now as Commander and Digital players are comprising a larger part of the player base. Things those groups desire don't always line up particularly well with what more traditional players need. I think once WOTC figures out how to best integrate the needs of emergent portions of the Magic audience with the usual flow of the game, things will get back to normal.

I think an over-focus on "colectable" cards, arena's poor economy, and the emerging ability to solve constructed formats in under a week has caused people to lose sight of this, but Magic is in a much better place right now than it was just a few short years ago. I remember during 2016 and 2017 when I would get really excited for a new set, only for the majority of the cards to be completely unplayable and worthless in all of the formats I wanted to play except for Standard. That was not healthy for the game, even though it didn't rock the "card pool boat" as much. Things like collector boosters have made new cards extremely affordable. I haven't been priced out of a Standard card since Throne of Eldraine released, with the sole exception of Wrenn and Seven, and that's mostly because I'm cheap. While it's easy to watch WOTC's PR team blunder their way through every interaction with the public and assume the game is having fundamental issues, I don't think that's really the case.

I get what you mean.

Maybe this is what Wizards was going for though: A plane we revisit a thousand years later to see how it has changed SUPER much but still have some resemblence to the past plane?

They also would find a way to not change Ravnica or Innistrad all that much.
They do it just because they screwed up the first visited by printing a bunch of 5-mana 2/1s.

so i can’t blame anyone for saying “hey, i liked this version of (insert plane here), but the new version coming out, i don’t like.”
that’s perfectly reasonable.
i would give you a little encouragement though, @ravnic : if we assume that, as they have with other planes, WOTC will continue to revisit kamigawa as long as the sets sell, there is always a nonzero chance that we revisit kamigawa AGAIN in YET ANOTHER time period, or the original time period, later on. for example, imagine Taiko Period Kamigawa? going WAY back for Pre-Shogunate Kamigawa? there are several good possibilities that are as likely as not to happen later.

I'd like that. But I fear it's more like this: If it's successful, we're getting another cyberpunk high-tech "Kamigawa" in the future. If it isn't successful, they will just never try it again to visit Kamigawa.

The plane is just utterly mistreated by them. They did three sets with a very low power level at a very bad time to be printed for a magic set (right after many people left thanks to affinity). Then we return 15 years later and seemingly it's a whole different world now, catering to a different target audience. It's like making fun of the Kamigawa crowd.

I meant no offense in my assessment! I would just suggest that 'Anime and Cyberpunk' came well after the Samurai/Ninja/Feudal-themed asian content that came before it for decades. (Kurosawa films, etc.) I seem to remember Anime & Cyberpunk coming into the mainstream during the mid-late 80's & 90's and since then, it's just exploded and became very mainstream in western pop culture consiciousness.

I don't think MaRo and a lot of those guys were quite young enough (80's & 90's) to really have been completely dipped in that experience and pop culture (the way anyone born DURING those years or since would have been) and I suspect that's a big part of the reason we went feudal the first time. I'm 46 and while I did experience some of that stuff I caught it on the tail end. (I'm pretty sure MaRo is older than I am but I may be wrong.) I don't think that aspect resonated with him so he just went in the direction that did resonate with him. Hey, let's go classic.

Anything else read into my comments wasn't really intended. Happy to clarify anything else I said (or sloppily implied).

I'd like that. But I fear it's more like this: If it's successful, we're getting another cyberpunk high-tech "Kamigawa" in the future. If it isn't successful, they will just never try it again to visit Kamigawa.
Dude we haven't even seen the set yet. Mark Rosewater has been saying on his blog for months now that this set has plenty of elements designed to make OG Kamigawa fans happy.

Look at this response on his blog from yesterday!

I don't think they would return to a world and just not have any of the elements people liked about it in the first place. I think, at worst, it will be like Eldritch Moon. In that set, gothic horror tropes stood aside for some cosmic horror madness, but it was still fundamentally an Innistrad set.

I meant no offense in my assessment! I would just suggest that 'Anime and Cyberpunk' came well after the Samurai/Ninja/Feudal-themed asian content that came before it for decades. (Kurosawa films, etc.) I seem to remember Anime & Cyberpunk coming into the mainstream during the mid-late 80's & 90's and since then, it's just exploded and became very mainstream in western pop culture consiciousness.

I don't think MaRo and a lot of those guys were quite young enough (80's & 90's) to really have been completely dipped in that experience and pop culture (the way anyone born DURING those years or since would have been) and I suspect that's a big part of the reason we went feudal the first time. I'm 46 and while I did experience some of that stuff I caught it on the tail end. (I'm pretty sure MaRo is older than I am but I may be wrong.) I don't think that aspect resonated with him so he just went in the direction that did resonate with him. Hey, let's go classic.

Anything else read into my comments wasn't really intended. Happy to clarify anything else I said (or sloppily implied).
For sure. While there are many older Cyberpunk type works (Blade Runner's Source Material, for example), the genre didn't begin to diversify until more recently. Cyberpunk is definitely a newer direction to take the set, although I think that kind of makes sense given the fact that it's been 1000 years since our last visit to Kamigawa (both figuratively and semi-literally :p).

I don't know if this set is going to be anime/manga inspired so much as it is raw Cyberpunk, but it will be interesting to see.

honestly, and i may be wrong, but i think the Venn diagram of “people who like Japanese cyberpunk fantasy” and “people who like Japanese feudal fantasy” has A LOT of overlap. but not 100% obviously
Honestly that's probably true.

Would anyone have an issue with me starting a new thread for the spoiler cards when they come out tomorrow? We're already on to page 2 of this thread and we haven't seen a single card yet
:pogchimp:

Dude we haven't even seen the set yet. Mark Rosewater has been saying on his blog for months now that this set has plenty of elements designed to make OG Kamigawa fans happy.

Look at this response on his blog from yesterday!

I don't think they would return to a world and just not have any of the elements people liked about it in the first place. I think, at worst, it will be like Eldritch Moon. In that set, gothic horror tropes stood aside for some cosmic horror madness, but it was still fundamentally an Innistrad set.

For sure. While there are many older Cyberpunk type works (Blade Runner's Source Material, for example), the genre didn't begin to diversify until more recently. Cyberpunk is definitely a newer direction to take the set, although I think that kind of makes sense given the fact that it's been 1000 years since our last visit to Kamigawa (both figuratively and semi-literally :p).

I don't know if this set is going to be anime/manga inspired so much as it is raw Cyberpunk, but it will be interesting to see.

Honestly that's probably true.

Would anyone have an issue with me starting a new thread for the spoiler cards when they come out tomorrow? We're already on to page 2 of this thread and we haven't seen a single card yet
:pogchimp:

I have 0 issues with both my thread and the other Neon set will fall into oblivion.

Just make sure to name the thread something new (so no duplicate names on the forum)

You must have been pretty disappointed when we returned to Zendikar 6 years later and didn’t have any BFZ tango lands :p

Absolutely. I'm pretty meh on the cycle of lands they decided to go with for Cube. When they first came out I thought that the BFZ lands were the perfect dual for the type of environment I was building and my experiences with them over 5 years in multiple formats have only reaffirmed that. They're great in any deck that is going for a base of two colors with a light splash for a 3rd. You can obviously play them in greedier decks, but there is a cost with the CIPT early so you need to make better sequencing decisions. Either fetch them early and miss out on those T1 and T2 plays or have "lesser" fixing deploying basics so they come in untapped later in the game.

Until the recent cycle of duals from MID/VOW (which are excellent in EDH), I was using these as my 2nd or 3rd dual land inclusions for tri-color EDH decks where the tempo loss from playing them tapped was a real thing against more tuned decks. Sometimes I'd fetch up a basic just so I could plan out for a T3 untapped land like Prairie Stream or Sunken Hollow in something like my Aminatou, the Fateshifter deck. I think there's a real opportunity cost to them in something like older non-rotating formats where mana accessibility is so crucial or in something like higher powered EDH, but for Cube? Fantastic. Double shocks didn't have enough of an opportunity cost for greedy piles but these were exactly what I was looking for the first two years of my cube design.

Yeah, I share the feeling that it's too early to say.

I don't think they would return to a world and just not have any of the elements people liked about it in the first place. I think, at worst, it will be like Eldritch Moon. In that set, gothic horror tropes stood aside for some cosmic horror madness, but it was still fundamentally an Innistrad set
Well, Battle for Zendikar was a terrible return that replaced all we liked from Zendikar with tentacles. It could be that Neon Dynasty is just as bad, but they've probably learned from BFZ that returning to a world just to lay waste to it is bad practice.

Yes, adoption of anime and manga in the West didn't really become big until around the late 90s/early 00s with the likes of Toonami in the states and the publication of monthly Shonen Jump in the early 00s. I still vividly remember when my friend on the bus introduced me to manga and being blown away that Japanese comics were read the other way around and that their stories were just MUCH more interesting to me than anything I had read to that point. Didn't grow up on superhero comics because I just couldn't get into them, but manga? Absolutely huge for my generation growing up in the early 00s. Before that we only had exposure through things like Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, etc. There were lesser series here and there in the early-mid 90s that had appeal for fans like Yuyu Hakusho or Cowboy Bebop, but nothing that crossed over into the mainstream until things like Inuyasha and like dominated Toonami.

Since then it's been an incredibly successful industry with huge mainstream crossover and appeal. I remember being a kid at a Barnes and Noble and them having a very tiny dedicated section to things I had read in Shonen Jump back in '03-04, but now? HUGE dedicated areas many times larger than the traditional graphic novels and American comics. It's insane to me as someone who has been reading manga and keeping up with some of my favorite series since '03.

This brings me to my big fear with this new Kamigawa that Wizards are going to skirt what made the original so memorable in favor of tapping into this potential market. I get why they'd do so from a business perspective, but I'm not a fan of this kind of cheap dilution (which is why I hate UB as a concept). It's like jumping aboard a bandwagon to ride a high. I'll reserve judgment until I see the set, but I have very little faith in Wizards not taking the most greedy possible approach with how they've been running things the last few years.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah.. I honestly don’t care that the 3-colored rare lands will be replicas of Triomes as long as they are 3-colored, pretty strong and in ally (which we know they will be)
I would like them to finish the cycle. Balance in all things, and all that :)