Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I triggers on "other" creatures only.
Ah, I misread it. Ok, that's a lot less egregious then. A 2/4 flying for three mana is still pushed, but I retract my previous statement regarding the end of Aggro.

I don't think either of those cards are super pushed. Brimaz is six years old at this point and I'd rather have a Goblin Heelcutter over the giant in a generic red beatdown deck. Neither seems like it's an auto-win in limited like Pack Rat or Jitte.
Also, screw Brimaz. That cat getting nowhere near my cube. Same for Pack Rat and Jitte, those are some GRBS cards in lower power environments.

Right, my point is that this new card is several steps in power below any of the cards I named and don't think it's particularly pushed. Just because we haven't seen this specific power/toughness/cmc combo before doesn't make it pushed.

edit: I realize I might be coming across too strong, so obviously I could be wrong once we see these in play!

Right, my point is that this new card is several steps in power below any of the cards I named

"Weaker than Jitte" is different than "isn't pushed." While I don't think anything is too insane by competitive metrics, most of these definitely qualify as pushed imo.

I know these are supposedly unintended leaks, but it's oddly coincidental that the cards that are out so far are teasing the Standard players with their pushed rare tribal lords and a couple of mythics.

I'm seeing people lots of places undervaluing the flexibility of Foretell. Having the option to pay 2 then 4 or just the basic 5 is huge in terms of smoothing out your curve and avoiding non-games due to mana issues.
Think Twice is amazing compared to Inspiration and the former only has the installment option.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think the 'meh' response to Foretell is based more on excitement levels than on power levels. It's undeniably powerful, and it may very well be flexible and skill-testing, but it feels really boring. Maybe it plays a lot better than it reads!

I agree that there are an awfully convenient number of pushed rares being opened. However, I read some speculation that these leaks are from a single rare sheet, and, since most of the pushed cards in a set are at rare or mythic, it's just coincidence that we're seeing the pushed stuff first. Maybe. Certainly I think that if there was one central leaker unaffiliated with Wizards they'd have been shut down by Wizards by now the way they shut down whoever was leaking Zendikar Rising.

I think the flavor would be more on point if the card would be exiled face up. That way you could also lower the costs, because the drawback of unhidden information can be huge with some cards.

I know, right? I don't think it will play nearly as well as Morph. It also doesn't apply the same kind of pressure Adventure or Suspend do - both of those mechanics have little mini-games to them, and Foretell... really doesn't. Who knows, maybe we'll get interesting Foretell cards... but I doubt it.

I'm also a bit annoyed because Cockatrice doesn't really let you exile things face down, so your Foretold cards will have to hang out on the board despite not being permanents. Blech.

Blech means sheet or tin metal in german.

But yeah, so far I am not exited by Kaldheims mechanics. Boast is a narrower raid. Foretell is a more boring morph imo. Dfcs are a bit annoying during draft, so I try to avoid them. Snow is parasitic and hard to enable in cube. Tribal is similar, and I'm not a fan.

I just hope I can cube another showcase card or two and maybe get a nice white equipment or something.

I mean, the Changelings look like they're interesting, at the very least?

Only if you support 2 or more tribes. I only have mono {R} goblins, so I'd rather have a good goblin than a good changeling.

snow hard to enable in cube? just have snow basics or a rule that they are snow.

Ture, but I feel like that is a huge step either way. You have to replace all your basic lands (and than it might be difficult to balance in some cases) OR you have do basically do functional errata to all your basics. I'd do the former only if I wanted that to be the flavor of my cube and the latter, I wouldn't do.

So for me personally, Kaldheim spoilers and leaks so far have only lowered my enthusiasm.

Why are people so eager to share that they're unenthusiastic about something. Isn't it more constructive to talk about the things that we are psyched about?

Why are people so eager to share that they're unenthusiastic about something. Isn't it more constructive to talk about the things that we are psyched about?

That would require there to be things that we're psyched for. ;)

In all seriousness, there are cards that I'm looking forward to messing around with in kitchen table decks. But that'd be a bit off-topic, considering that this is a forum about Cube.

EDIT: Like, I'm kinda excited to see Dwarf Tribal, since I like the whole Dwarves→Treasure→Dragons thing that Magda has. But Magda doesn't really work without the kind of framework you'd see in a tribal deck or in EDH.

Also, I was looking forward to the White and Red Inscriptions, but apparently those aren't going to happen. :(

Because criticism is both good for the critic and pointless if you only talk about the good stuff. Please bear with the following somewhat rambling anecdote.

I was a music major back in undergrad, and we had this thing called studio class, which is a weekly meeting of all the students of a particular professor, in my case the flute professor. In studio class, or studio, we'd hear performances by our peers or perform ourselves and then we'd solicit feedback, not only from our professors but also from each other. This was very helpful as an artist because we got to hear what we sounded like from many different vantage points, both physical and mental, though I quickly learned that some feedback was more helpful than others. Hearing from a range of our peers of varying experience levels gave us an opportunity to understand how effective our choices were. Additionally, we learned the life skill of accepting feedback gracefully. When I received feedback, I was always excited to hear about strong emotional reactions both negative and positive because a) I'd rather be polarizing than bland and b) a reasonable amount of what we hate, especially as musicians, we simply do not yet understand. Negative feedback, however, was much more useful than positive feedback because it let me know which way to correct my actions rather than simply telling me to keep doing something.

However, perhaps even more importantly, we learned a lot--and perhaps more!--through the process of providing feedback, which is what we're doing here.Giving feedback helps us understand what we do and don't like (I was surprised to discover how much I value resonance in mechanics) and it helps us figure out how to fix our own problems (I'd prefer to see Manifest or Morph used as "hidden information" mechanics and I find cost-reduction mechanics dull unless that process of acquiring that reduction represents an interesting puzzle). But sure, we can do this on our own. What we cannot do on our own is to have a conversation about these things, like with Lin Sivvi But Better over in the Low Powered Card Spotlight thread. It's really hard to change your own mind. I'd love to, for example, hear something that addresses my concerns of a lack of resonance with Foretell. Maybe there's something I've missed! By voicing my opinion that Foretell does not appeal to me because I don't find it to be a resonant mechanic, I'm creating an opportunity for others to offer alternatives. Maybe Foretell should be a cube staple because it's just that good as a smoothing mechanic. Maybe, like Morph, it's going to start off a little clunky but will grow into something we love. Maybe I need to be more patient and see what the rest of the spoilers bring. But crucially, we don't have this conversation and therefore this chance to grow if we restrict these sorts of threads to being hype trains.

TL,DR: Having opinions in general is a good thing--don't you hate it when you and your friends can't agree on where to go for dinner because everyone is fine with everything? It's only when these opinions are either universally positive or universally negative that there's a problem, because everything is outside of a useful range.

4sodah.jpg

Feedback is good for a lot of reasons, but like, send it to the right place. We are on a cube forum discussing prospects for archetypes, inclusions, etc. Tell WotC you are not impressed. It really doesn't do anything for me, here, trying to see what could be worked into UG tempo or something.

Magda as a 2/1 anthem is still good though.

I'll be honest, I completely forgot about that +1/+0 to Dwarves. The thing is that her baseline is great (2/1 for 1R that gives other dwarves +1/+0 and makes mana whenever a Dwarf taps), but I'd feel like that flashy final ability is probably going to be really misleading.

what could be worked into UG tempo or something.

UG tempo already has the best card, though :p

I think foretell looks super awesome. Mammoth Guy looks sweet. Boast is going to help encourage attacking. Changelings are good to see. The tribes don't seem super bad (although all of the statmonsters everyone is complaining about are mostly terrible except for the Angels).

Looks like a good set so far. I don't see a reason to complain.

Feedback is good for a lot of reasons, but like, send it to the right place. We are on a cube forum discussing prospects for archetypes, inclusions, etc. Tell WotC you are not impressed. It really doesn't do anything for me, here, trying to see what could be worked into UG tempo or something.

Sure, I hear that it's not helpful for you, and I understand that WOTC isn't going to suddenly errata their newest set because Zoss is a little disappointed. But the point of my post was explicitly that we are not expressing opinions on WOTC's actions with the purpose of convincing them to change. Rather, we're writing for ourselves to help clarify our opinions and because we may be wrong--if we don't express our opinions, it's hard to have them be changed.

Back on topic, I agree that Boast seems like a fine riff on Raid, and anything that encourages combat is cool in my book. Changelings are always cool too, and with how they were included in MH1 I've hopeful that they're going to get more love in the future from WOTC. I'm cautiously interested in Foretell (up from dismissive!), though I still think it's going to be a terrifically dry mechanic due to its lack of interactivity. I'm curious as to why the mechanics here seem to be exclusively returns to previous themes. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Eldraine, Ikoria, and ZNR having some really innovative stuff?

I'm curious as to why the mechanics here seem to be exclusively returns to previous themes. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Eldraine, Ikoria, and ZNR having some really innovative stuff?

Wizards use simpler new mechanics when they want:
1. More new mechanics than the average,
or
2. More complex cards in the set.

On this regard I feel like it is unfair of us to judge Wizards or Kaldheim because they haven’t started spoiling cards yet and haven’t told their side of the story. All we can do is draw conclusions based of random rare cards it seems.

Why would positive criticism be more constructive than negative criticism?

Personally, Fortell doesn't do much for me. I would rather have Echo, perhaps Suspend.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
There are lots of cards that get a ton of initial hype but don't perform in practice or look good but fight for space with similar cards. Why is ignoring those tradeoffs more constructive?

Sure, I hear that it's not helpful for you, and I understand that WOTC isn't going to suddenly errata their newest set because Zoss is a little disappointed. But the point of my post was explicitly that we are not expressing opinions on WOTC's actions with the purpose of convincing them to change. Rather, we're writing for ourselves to help clarify our opinions and because we may be wrong--if we don't express our opinions, it's hard to have them be changed.

Back on topic, I agree that Boast seems like a fine riff on Raid, and anything that encourages combat is cool in my book. Changelings are always cool too, and with how they were included in MH1 I've hopeful that they're going to get more love in the future from WOTC. I'm cautiously interested in Foretell (up from dismissive!), though I still think it's going to be a terrifically dry mechanic due to its lack of interactivity. I'm curious as to why the mechanics here seem to be exclusively returns to previous themes. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Eldraine, Ikoria, and ZNR having some really innovative stuff?

Writing that sort of thing to WotC is one of the ONLY ways they change their stance on certain mechanics. No it won't change the current set, but they release a survey every set for a reason, have Mark and others on social media for a reason, etc. etc. Like, write whatever you want, but a blanket statement only serves to be a downer on this site. A specific negative criticism on a card or how a mechanic plays in a cube is another thing. That can be thought over and digested.

And remember, feedback, even to ones self can be bad. I've literally had to take corporate training on how to give and get good feedback, as ridiculous as that sounds. It tends to be
  1. Specific and meaningful
  2. goal-oriented
  3. focused on a future outcome (actionable)
  4. focused on addressing a past action, not a person
  5. not afraid to be negative
  6. but can be positive
  7. doesn't assume it's fact

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'll be honest, I completely forgot about that +1/+0 to Dwarves. The thing is that her baseline is great (2/1 for 1R that gives other dwarves +1/+0 and makes mana whenever a Dwarf taps), but I'd feel like that flashy final ability is probably going to be really misleading.

{G}{2} for a 5/5 with the ability "Sacrifice 20 creatures: target opponent loses 1 life" is still a good card.