Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

New spoiler

And now we know for certain what foretell does

7B3EE866-A084-48F1-9C3A-C2F4A06BD04B.jpeg

The spoiler exists in a higher resolution but I couldn’t upload it.

Also: We have a new watermark. This mean factions of some sort. Watermarks are used only if the in-game lore wants the cards to show each other that they belong to different factions. This is the reason why Alara never had factions because the five different Shards didn’t think they’d ever need to show their faction affiliation to other factions where Phyrexia vs. Mirran had watermarks because they were at war and needed to show it clearly.

Yeah, that looks incredibly mediocre.

OTOH, this particular creature may just have a crappy Foretell cost because the base body is so pushed. Getting a 6/5 trampler with built-in removal protection on T3/4 is, in a phrase, 'big game.' It's probably less attractive than Lovestruck Beast in standard, but then again we don't care about that here. If the normal cost was {4}{G}{G} I think we'd be a lot happier with this foretell cost, and the base body would still be passable. I might even like that version better, come to think of it.

Regardless, I don't think this is a particularly elegant mechanic. It's hard to interact with without mechanically screaming "PLAY ME WITH FORETELL CARDS" because, as Chris says, we're not getting anything out of the foretelling. I wonder why they didn't just give everything Morph, which would work really nicely with all the Changelings running around. WOTC might try to make Foretell payoffs a little bit more elegant than simply saying "when you Foretell, X" and instead tie things into "how many cards you have in exile," as seen with Ragnar the Ever-Watchful. If so, I and those with blink sections should be on the lookout for more goodies.

I'm not seeing it nearly the same way apparently... foretell can be applied to non-permanent spells for one thing, and the cost is discounted compared to morph. Paying 4GG in two installments is much, much better than paying 3GG in one installment a good fraction of the time due to the reduced final cost of the foretell payment. It ramps itself out a turn early as needed! I really like the line-of-play flexibility offered by the mechanic, which is improved by the card going to exile rather than being on the field as a fragile 2/2.

Morph had problems with Shock effects. Foretell will probably not have those issues. And they were issues even though it was interaction because it was such a huge tempo loss and it also lead to tons of rule questions on every friday night magic from newer players. (Not sure they were FNMs but in my local store it was friday night tournaments.)

The mechanic is quite simple.

Good point, Sigh, with the non-permanent spells. Let’s hope they took advantage of that opportunity already instead of waiting for a return to Kaldheim.

I absolutely agree that Foretell is the stronger mechanic, and yeah, Morph has major issues. However, I like the interactivity of Morph, and Foretell is, at least so far, just a cost-reduction ability/reverse Kicker. It does make sequencing a lot more interesting, and I'm glad that WOTC is making moves to formally recognize that space between the introduction of both Foretell and Spectacle, but as a mechanic Foretell seems incredibly boring to me. Morph has mind-games, whereas Foretell may as well just be renamed "Layaway."

My private hope was that Foretell was going to be a variation on suspend, something along the lines of "Foretell [COST]. Pay {2}, exile this card face-down from your hand with X time counters on it. (You choose a value for X. X cannot be 0.) Remove a time counter at the beginning of each upkeep. When the last time counter is removed from [CARDNAME], look at it and pay [COST]. If you do not, return [CARDNAME] to your hand." While wordy, it would give the player a lot of agency, and having to "call" when you're going to want a spell would add a certain amount of strategy. And, if you don't actually want to cast it, you can just try again! This would act kind of like a DIY Miracle, which was a cool idea, and would also play VERY nicely with Time Spiral Remastered. Unfortunately, this is neither here nor there, at least until I start building a custom set.

Maybe Foretell can lead the way for a new trap mechanic for Dungeons & Dragons: Adventure in the Forgotten Realms.

Foretell will feel nice on MTG Arena. Just like putting a Companion into hand by paying 3.

I will, like most others, withhold my evaluation of Foretell until we’ve seen what else the mechanic has to offer. Either way it will be a standalone mechanic that doesn’t combo with much other than ‘exile matters’ if that ever becomes a thing.

dragonkinberserker.jpg
Are we sure this card isn't from Dragons of Tarkir?

Does anyone also have this error message when they wish to upload a card to this site?

I came here to spoil three Kaldheim cards:
Runeforge Champion
Resplendant Marshal
Sigrid, God-Favored

See the error message below

Issues.png

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Does anyone also have this error message when they wish to upload a card to this site?

I came here to spoil three Kaldheim cards:
Runeforge Champion
Resplendant Marshal
Sigrid, God-Favored

See the error message below

Easiest option when sharing new cards is to find the link to the image then just use the insert image (the little tree).
Calamity-Bearer-216x263.jpg
Runeforge-Champion-213x302.jpg
Resplendent-Marshall-216x299.jpg
Sigrid-God-Favored-216x245.jpg

They all seem like decent cards even though we have no idea what runes are. Feels weird that they made Sigrid just after they made Skyclave Apparition, but they have different applications I guess.

Returning Runes from graveyard would be too irrelevant unless Runes are supposed to be sacrificed. I imagine they are colored artifacts that you crack to activate, like Executioner's Capsule. The cost reduction suggests they will be in general cost 1-3 mana and be colored artifacts, again, like Capsules.

Easiest option when sharing new cards is to find the link to the image then just use the insert image (the little tree).

The little tree?
When I upload pictures on Riptidelab I use the "Upload a File", then I find the picture on the PC, then I click "Full Image" because I want to show you guys the best version of the picture.
But lately there has been some issues on this page when trying to upload. It doesn't matter which device I'm using to upload from. It could just randomly be the files?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Obviously the difference is that Think Twice already gives you half the effect up front, which foretell doesn't do, but yeah, in general I think this is a mechanic that's likely to play better than it looks.

I'm waiting for the interesting roleplayers, rather than the pushed mythics and rares.

That 2/4 flyer for {2}{W} that gains 4 life on entering the battlefield is insane. Such an enormous punch in the gut for aggro decks! And any other angels or clerics that make your deck also gain life equal to their toughness on etb, as if this wasn't enough of a ridiculous roadblock on its own. Really, really pushed. Aggro is dead with this card aroud.

Obviously the difference is that Think Twice already gives you half the effect up front, which foretell doesn't do, but yeah, in general I think this is a mechanic that's likely to play better than it looks.

I'm waiting for the interesting roleplayers, rather than the pushed mythics and rares.

That 2/4 flyer for {2}{W} that gains 4 life on entering the battlefield is insane. Such an enormous punch in the gut for aggro decks! And any other angels or clerics that make your deck also gain life equal to their toughness on etb, as if this wasn't enough of a ridiculous roadblock on its own. Really, really pushed. Aggro is dead with this card aroud.

I triggers on "other" creatures only.

It is still pretty pushed though, the body alone. It's not quite as big an offender as the 3/4 double striker for 4 in red, but close. I remember Azure Drake being an uncommon because it had "such a solid body". I am totally fine with being better than Azure drake or Orazca Raptor, it is just a very inelegant way to design better cards by just further and further adding stats or keyword-like abilities. Also these cards tend to play as no brainers in limited,which makes for the most boring wins.

I don't think either of those cards are super pushed. Brimaz is six years old at this point and I'd rather have a Goblin Heelcutter over the giant in a generic red beatdown deck. Neither seems like it's an auto-win in limited like Pack Rat or Jitte.