Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

poisonthecup.jpg
This is a nice Murder variant. I like it.
insearchofgreatness.jpg

In Search of Greatness - GG
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may cast a permanent spell from your hand with converted mana cost equal to one plus the highest converted mana cost among other permanents you control without paying its mana cost. If you don't, scry 1.

Hmm...

usherofthefallen.jpg

And look at this! Cool seeing really nice white aggressive creatures. You'll probably not activate this on turn 2, but dropping another one drop on turn three and boasting Usher seems like a good way of giving weenie decks more consistency.
Also the tokens are humans!! So you can pump your champion of the parishes and your thalias' lieutenants.

This is quite possibly the best card in the set. It's a really powerful aggro dude in the sense that it can create a board state all by itself. While I think it's a little fragile as a 2/1, that's not really important on a Savannah Lion that makes an army by itself. It usually adds at least three power to the board (the 2/1 base stats plus the first token), possibly more, save for the instances when it dies before it gets to attack. Great card, get your foils and never cut them :D

We're seeing more of the Uncommon Land Cycle today:
axgardarmory.jpg
skemfarelderhall.jpg
gnottvoldslumbermound.jpg

karfellport.jpg

Karfell Port
Land
Karfell Port enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.
{3}{U}{B}{B}, {T}: Sacrifice Karfell Port: Mill four cards, then return a creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

surtlandfrozenflame.jpg

Surtland Frozenflame
Land
Surtland Frozenflame enters the battlefield tapped.
{T} : Add {R} to you mana pool.
{2}{U}{R}{R}, {T}, Sacrifice Surtland Frozenflame: Scry 2, then Surtland Frozenflame deals 2 damage to each creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

It's unfortunate how wide the power band on this cycle is proving to be. Karfell Port and Gnottvold Slumbermound seem insanely good, even in higher power environments. Meanwhile, the Axgard Armory and Bretagard Stronghold seem generally pretty weak for their cost in the context of cube. I'm not sure running these as a cycle is going to be worthwhile. I'm also not sure how to count these. They're lands, but they don't fix for mana and have the mana requirements of gold cards to function correctly. Granted, these are expensive top-end pieces for decks to begin with, so if the other color is a splash, they become easier to enable.

Frankly, I'm not sure where these fit into the cube design story and that is a little frustrating. I like these designs, but I'm not sure where they are good.
bretagardstronghold.jpg

I actually think they're all pretty low power given the expensive and color-intensive activation costs and coming into play tapped.

I'd much rather run cycling lands or the new Zen MDFC lands over any of these.

It's unfortunate how wide the power band on this cycle is proving to be. Karfell Port and Gnottvold Slumbermound seem insanely good, even in higher power environments. Meanwhile, the Axgard Armory and Bretagard Stronghold seem generally pretty weak for their cost in the context of cube. I'm not sure running these as a cycle is going to be worthwhile. I'm also not sure how to count these. They're lands, but they don't fix for mana and have the mana requirements of gold cards to function correctly. Granted, these are expensive top-end pieces for decks to begin with, so if the other color is a splash, they become easier to enable.

I don't think they are insanely good, and I think Axgard Armory Bretagard Stronghold is significantly better than all others. Note the two you pointed out as the best effectively cost 7 mana.

Standard (not sure why I'm talked about it, but I already ranked):
[Standard bannable] > Bretagard Stronghold > Axgard Armory > Surtland Frozenflame > [Standard playable line] > Karfell Port > Skemfar Elderhall > Gnottbold Slumbermount

Cube:
[Powermax playable line] > [Elegant Cube GRBS line] > Bretagard Stronghold > Axgard Armory > Skemfar Elderhall > Surtland Frozenflame > Karfell Port > Gnottbold Slumbermount > [Elegant Cube playable line]

I'll have to eat a Storm Crow when Gnottbold Slumbermount is banned in Modern and generally recognized as GRBS somehow in a couple of months, but that's my guess.

Edit: I hadn't seen Bretagard Stronghold before, added to ranking as the best of the cycle so far.

Yeah, paying seven mana to reanimate something is good but not insane, even if it's from a land.

Edit: I think the troll land is actually pretty decent, you get a tempo swing in possibly locking out a color from your opponent and adding a pretty big body to the board.

I want to durdle with LftL and Karfell Reanimation Port.

Also, I'd count them as gold cards, sadly.

They're totally gold cards, but eehhh we've had gold land cards before that people have ran successfully. They take up space in a different part of a players deck, so they're way easier to splash for, so I don't think they're the same as a creature you want to play on curve. Plus I love playing spicy lands!

You're right. You can usually justify a tapped land and they mostly have late game abilities as well. It's just akward that they have double pips of the color you are most likely splashing for them.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
usherofthefallen.jpg

Love this card, statline and activation match Bloodsoaked Champion so my gut is to run like 4 (yes I know it is worse)

ascendantspirit.jpg

@Dom you were running all snow basics right? Can I interest you in snowman of destiny?

Mystic-Reflection-extended-KHM-672.jpg

Sorry need the English version.
Someone talked about casting this in response to Avenger of Zenikar's ETB and now I have a new "Most EDH" I've ever seen a suggustion

gnottvoldslumbermound.jpg

I think that this card is way better than it looks, at least for Standard.

It looks like Trolls are intended to be some kind of ramp archetype. However, instead of ramping into some specific big threat, the troll game plan is to leverage having more lands than your opponent. Both this and Old-Growth Troll let you turn a land into a troll in the late game, and Waking The Trolls just straight-up rewards you for having extra lands. Don't think of this as overpriced land destruction. Think of this as a land that you can trade for a 4/4 trampler in the late game, that just so happens to keep you and your opponent at land parity.

EDIT:

Also, look at this little sneak:
scorneffigy.jpg

In Search of Greatness is bonkers. Maybe hard to draft around in cube, but in constructed? Insanity.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's literally just asking you to curve out. I dont see how that's very difficult to achieve in cube decks or otherwise.

And the "fail" state is still scry 1 a turn? Dear lord.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's literally just asking you to curve out. I dont see how that's very difficult to achieve in cube decks or otherwise.

And the "fail" state is still scry 1 a turn? Dear lord.
It's asking you to pay GG on turn 2 (ideally), curve out with permanents and have those permanents in hand when the trigger goes off each turn. I think it's not that obvious that this is going to be super good in cube, though the potential is obviously there.

All I'm saying is those asks are awfully easy to hit. Same basic approach as Birthing Pod, but way more flexible. I think most cubers will have no problem seeing how awesome this is.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I honestly think Pod is more flexible since it has a much larger number of cards you can pull your +1 cmc target from. We'll have to see, I guess.

Scorn Effigy looks great! It supports artifacts, creaturefall and 2nd spell/turn (which is something I want to get pushed more, jhust like draw 2nd card and cast 1st spell/opponent's turn). Not sure if that's enough, as a 2/3 vanilla is otherwise very unexciting.

Besides the disgusting powercreep (BW saga rofl, G enchantment rofl²) and parasitic snow shit, I have to say that I find some cards pretty interesting.
Usher of the Fallen looks pretty interesting. If it doesn't end up being too strong, it looks like a fine addition.
That angel similar to Stitched Drake also looks interesting, especially since my white section cares about gy/selfmill.
Clarion spirit looks very fitting! I cut Young Pyro and instead added Akroan Crusader, Valiant Rescuer and Murmuring Mystic, to tighten the powerband, so this looks might be another good addition.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Love EC
But hey I get it, rising power over time. You can slow it, and you have to keep it in check, but it's still likely a good thing overall. We're not casting grey ogres anymore

I honestly think Pod is more flexible since it has a much larger number of cards you can pull your +1 cmc target from. We'll have to see, I guess.

deck building flexibility is no contest. This hits any permanent. that's way easier on deck-building. Just build a nice curve of permanents.