Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

shepherdofthecosmos.jpg

Shepherd of the Cosmos - 4WW
Creature - Angel Warrior
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, return target permanent card with CMC 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Foretell 3W
3/3

I am probably the only person on Earth who is sad that this card costs 6 instead of 7.

frostpyrearcanist.jpg

This kinda sucks in Cube, but imagine using this guy to fetch another copy of [[Frantic Inventory]] or [[Kindle]].

hellishpet.jpg

Hellish Pet - 2B
Creature - Devil
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and it gains flying until end of turn.
"Here, my pet. Another little light for you to extinguish."
- Kzarakh, Immersturm Guard
2/2

This is a pretty sweet build-around if your Black section wants to cast multiple spells per turn. I'm not sure how good it actually is, but it's entirely possible that it will swing in as a 4/4 with flying the turn after you play it.

hellishpet.jpg

Hellish Pet - 2B
Creature - Devil
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and it gains flying until end of turn.
"Here, my pet. Another little light for you to extinguish."
- Kzarakh, Immersturm Guard
2/2

This is a pretty sweet build-around if your Black section wants to cast multiple spells per turn. I'm not sure how good it actually is, but it's entirely possible that it will swing in as a 4/4 with flying the turn after you play it.

I don’t think that’s very likely. It only triggers once each turn and for it to be 4/4 on turn 4, it would need to trigger on turn 3 and on turn 4. Triggering on turn 3 is going to be difficult. You’ll need plenty of lands, ramp, this little Devil and several spells to cast on turn 3 and 4 where at least one of them has to cost 1 mana or the amount you have ramped for.

I'm not thinking about it being cast on-curve, is the thing. And I said "entirely possible", not "likely". :p

It could be something like:

T4: Cast Hellish Pet, cast a Foretold Doomskar Oracle/Iron Verdict/Ravenform/Crush the Weak.
T5: Cast Disentomb on a cheap creature card, cast that cheap creature card, swing with your 4/4 flyer.

Love the 2nd spell/turn cards, but I like the 2drop way more, as it gets two of them counters instead of one. I'm hoping for more of those cards! :)

Also, where's that 3R Giant with 4/2 stats that has etb deal x damage to target creature where x is the creature type you control the most of? THAT'S sweet design I like! I do have a lot of incidental tribals, supporting those by changelings is pretty cool, but this new angle of support can make tribals a LOT more viable.

cinderheartgiant.jpg

Rag? Is that you? You don't look quite right...

squash.jpg

More of the kind of tribal design I praise. 5 mana for 6 damage is just fine in a draft and a 2 mana kill spell isn't particularly pushed.

60.png

When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, return all non-Giants, non-Wizards nonland permanents to their owner's hand. (Or so I have been told)

LadyMapi
This is for you :) Suggestion: Maybe you should have a Giant theme in your 7 drops? And a Wizard theme in your 2/3 drops?

Alternative cost should be pretty good in your cube and Giants have tied to Wizards in previous sets as well. There are also Surtland Elementalist from Kaldheim + a lot extra spicy stuff actually.

Scryfall link:
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=type:giant cmc=7

I can't actually include Realm-Cloaked Giant. Sadly. But Giants might be an interesting theme to pillage once Kaldheim drops.

I don't think you need to restrict yourself further. It is a 7 mana card in every rule book. You're not cheating anymore than you are if you include a card with kicker.
But you do you <3

clarionspirit.jpg

This is one of the better cards we've seen spoiled so far. It's like Young Pyromancer, but it makes flying tokens whenever you cast any second spell as opposed to only triggering off of instants and sorceries. I think this is going to be good in aggressive White strategies in cube. It's probably constructed playable as well. While I don't think this is better than Young Pyromancer, it's n0t difficult to trigger and will probably make 2-3 flying tokens over the course of the game. I think it's pretty good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
clarionspirit.jpg

This is one of the better cards we've seen spoiled so far. It's like Young Pyromancer, but it makes flying tokens whenever you cast any second spell as opposed to only triggering off of instants and sorceries. I think this is going to be good in aggressive White strategies in cube. It's probably constructed playable as well. While I don't think this is better than Young Pyromancer, it's n0t difficult to trigger and will probably make 2-3 flying tokens over the course of the game. I think it's pretty good.
Clarion Spirit triggers when you double spell, not when you double post Train ;)

Yeah and it’s somewhat of a challenge to reap the reward which is a lot cooler than creating a token at the beginning of your upkeep for instance. Fan.

Is anyone interested in a low-powered tempo Equipment?

1DC52B91-8FDC-4458-9EC1-AD8FC01EFF91.png

Imagine casting an evasive creature on turn 2 and this + equip on turn 3.
That would leave you with the opportunity to cast another 1-drop on turn 3 or a 6 drop on turn 4.

firjaspunishment.jpg

Firja's Punishment - 1WWB
Enchantment - Saga
I: Create a 4/4 Angel Warrior creature token with flying and vigilance.
II: Until end of turn, Angels you control get "T: Destroy target creature with power less than the power of this creature."
III: Angel's you control gain double strike until the end of turn.

WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW, UNBELIEVERS!? I WILL STRIKE DOWN YOUR PATHETIC MINIONS AND THEN DRIVE THE SWORD OF MY WINGED VENGEANCE INTO YOUR GUTS! I WILL-

*Ahem*

Sorry. Card looks good, I guess.

I love how phase III text starts with "Los Angeles", even with the correct casing simply because Magic puts creature types in upper case for some reason.

That would leave you with the opportunity to cast another 1-drop on turn 3 or a 6 drop on turn 4.

Yeah, that might be good. Not excited to play worse Leonin Scimitar, but in the right blue deck that's counterspell mana. Even without evasion, threatening scary things will make people block more often.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is anyone interested in a low-powered tempo Equipment?

View attachment 3574

This would have been so cool at a casting cost of 1. Then again, I've got all my artifact mana ramp at 3 cmc, so maybe this is perfect for my cube :) It's certainly an exciting combat damage trigger!

resolutevalkyrie.jpg

Code:
3W
Creature - Angel Warrior
Instead of paying the mana cost to cast this spell, you may pay 1W and exile a creature card from your graveyard.

Flying

This seems to pair really well with stitcher's supplier and similar cards for some nice orzhov aggro. I guess bone picker is in a similar vein of conditionally cheap orzhov fliers?

Edit:
usherofthefallen.jpg

And look at this! Cool seeing really nice white aggressive creatures. You'll probably not activate this on turn 2, but dropping another one drop on turn three and boasting Usher seems like a good way of giving weenie decks more consistency.
Also the tokens are humans!! So you can pump your champion of the parishes and your thalias' lieutenants.