Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

I had the idea that got me out of powermax in mind as an article structure
https://strategy.channelfireball.co...nelmagic-articles/cube-design-eldrazi-domain/

Here's the Shrines, why they caught my eye this set, let's build on them
How Shrines affect power level
Double copies? Discuss
Enchantments theme
Enabling 5c
Legendary theme
Other themes
I don't know
I haven't researched yet
Conclusion + approximate list

Throw in some card images to each section to highlight things.

In ZNR's case, no one card or set of card's really jumped out at me, so maybe it'd be the best home for landfall or ZNR Masters where we'd explore the best expansion of kicker/landfall/party themes with all of MtG at our disposal. Actually.. that isn't totally true. Yasharn makes me want to make a black vs GW style Torment block themed cube, so maybe we go there. Maybe we explore UB mill and its effects on a format, which are actually kind of sad, in my mind.

It'd be an idea somewhat related to the new set, at least. Mostly just a build process of something unique.

I'd mainly intend it as theoretical, but you could hopefully build and maintain a list as a beginner because you were walked through the process and could refer to the article later. Or join RTL to come ask me/us about it if CubeCobra lets me plug that. The application asks for some of my writing, so I'll probably make a Cube Blog after KHM and format the OP as an article.

tegridgoddessofdread.jpg
tegridslantern.jpg

Tegrid, Goddess of Dread

Menace

Whenever an opponent sacrifices a nontoken permanent or discards a permanent card, you can put that card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.

Tegrid's Lantern

T, Target player loses 3 life unless they sacrifice a nonland permanent or discard a card.

3B: Untap this card.

eradicatorvalkyrie.jpg

Some tasty aristocrats payoffs here.

I could see potentially including that in my cube. Actually, come to think of it, I think that the 3-drop Foretell cards actually might be really good in Afternoon Delight.

I actually think that making this cost 1 mana on the critical turn makes it a lot scarier, and is an incredible tool for Heroic or Prowess decks. Uncaged Fury requires 3 mana on a single turn, and 3 is a lot more than 1. I expect this will lead to a disproportionate number of blowouts because it's never the right call to play around it until you've seen it, and once you've seen it you've probably either lost one of your best creatures or have lost the game.

moritteofthefrost.jpg

This can copy Planeswalkers, but you can't control both copies. I wish this was templated more like Spark Double where it can copy walkers and both versions stick around.

However, this card is an absolute meme because it can copy any permanent. Want to copy sagas? Done. Broken artifacts? Done. Starfield of Nyx? Those tactics confuse and frighten me, but Done. I don't know if this card is good, but it is vaguely neat.

We've had this for a while, which is a clone I rather enjoy. The option to pick anything is cool and it's text is very to-the-point, which a lot of Clones lose when going beyond their namesake.

bloodlinepretender.jpg
littjarakinseekers.jpg
guardiangladewalker.jpg
maskwoodnexus.jpg

Excited to see more low power Changelings today for my Onslaught idea! (including Moritte)

skemfarshadowsage1.jpg

"Skemfar Shadow Sage"
3B
Creature - Elf Cleric
When Skemfar Shadow Sage enters the battlefield, choose one:
* Each opponent loses X life, where X is the most creatures you control that have a creature type in common.
* You gain X life, where X is the most creatures you control that have a creature type in common.
Illus. Matt Stewart
2/5

Elf. Cleric. General tribal support. Probably one that Onslaught wants.

snakeskinveil.jpg

Solid little protection spell for anyone with a +1/+1 counter theme.

facelesshaven.jpg

Love the look and design of this card. Solid for anyone who calls all their basics snows or who makes hefty snow accommodations.

runeofaviation.jpg

'Rune of Aviation'
Enchant permanent
When Rune of Aviation enters the battlefield, draw a card.
As long as enchanted permanent is a creature, it has flying.
As long as enchanted permanent is an Equipment, it has "Equipped creature has flying."

Looks like Runes are Creature+Equipment buffers. That's pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing more.

That's very cool. You'll want to add it to the equipment if you have one and if you have the mana to attach the equipment/already attached. But if you can't go with the long-lasting buff then you can probably still find a creature to buff to draw the card.

If worded as translated then you can always cycle the card for 2 mana even if you don't have creature/Equipment.

bloodskyberserker.jpg

"Bloodsky Berserker"
1B
Creature - Human Berserker
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, put two +1/+1 counters on ~. It gains menace until end of turn.
1/1

I like this, even if you really want to be casting two spells on turn three to make it large right away. The "two spells each turn" is a good mechanic and I hope it comes back every set cause it works in every color and can be any trigger and so on.

opentheomenpaths.jpg

This card was basically made for Afternoon Delight.

EDIT:

tibaltstrickery.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You tell hilarious jokes, WotC. Where's the real card?

The mill makes this much harder to grasp

____

Kardur_Doomscourge_DE-2.png

When ~ enters the battlefield, goad all creatures your opponents control.
Whenever a attacking creature dies, each opponent gets drained for 1 life.

I might try this one, partly just because he looks so cool.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
rootsofwisdom.jpg

Was grapple too good? I guess it was in the best deck at the time (BG Delirium) but I figured the problem was with the payoffs, not the enablers

revivethedraugr.jpg

Revive the Draugr
1B
Instant
Choose one -
* Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
* Return two target creature cards that share a creature type from your graveyard to your hand.

This is return from extinction but an instant, which is nice.

toralfgodoffury.jpg
toralfshammer.jpg

Cool take on thor. 2RR tap an untapped creature: bolt with buyback is pretty strong, and as a creature he's cool, basically letting your burn spells "trample" onto another creature/walker.

toralfgodoffury.jpg
toralfshammer.jpg

Cool take on thor. 2RR tap an untapped creature: bolt with buyback is pretty strong, and as a creature he's cool, basically letting your burn spells "trample" onto another creature/walker.

AND! (Adding to what Onde said) Thor cannot only trample burn spells onto another creature or planeswalker but to ANY other target. The original target just has to be to a creature or planeswalker but the excess goes to anything you want.

The creature side is hilariously good. If nothing else, it's a really neat tool against token decks.

I have Toralf and you have five X/1s? I cast Pyroclasm - take 7, please.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's actually 3RRR tap an untapped creature, as you have to cast, equip, and activate this for 1R each every time you go through the loop.
Oof, you right.

AND! (Adding to what Onde said) Thor cannot only trample burn spells onto another creature or planeswalker but to ANY other target. The original target just has to be to a creature or planeswalker but the excess goes to anything you want.
oh man I saw permanent and my brain shortcutted to another permanent

I'm still a bit skeptical, as the sequence of
-Have this
-it lives
-opponent has a target
-you have a burn spell
-your burn spell is bigger than their creature

Is a long sequence of Ifs: Soul-Scar Mage didn't have a ton of relevant text either