Sets [KHM] Kaldheim Official Previews

nikodefiesdestiny.jpg
struggleforskemfar.jpg

Struggle for Skemfar - 3G
Sorcery
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control. Then that creature fights target creature you don't control.
Foretell G

---

I have to say, despite initially being kinda cold on Foretell, it's probably the one part of the set that I'm the most interested in, and the only new mechanic where I'd legitimately be sad if they never revisited. I'm actually kinda surprised at how lame Boast feels in comparison.

Look. At. This. Art.

6EF2C2BF-E6E7-44C3-8818-D345CD371AEF.png

Also the card is quite interesting because it has two chapters that are usually not even worth a card unless you build your deck around the effect. Final chapters is a reanimate with a flying counter which is quite valuable for 3 mana although slow.

What kind of deck would want this? Only reanimator decks?

It's a great combo with Stuffy Doll from a few pages back, that's for sure. But beyond that...butts tribal? Enrage? Really aggressive decks in the late game with a bunch of potential trades on the board? Specific death triggers that you want to activate? It's worth noting that it's not "until the end of this turn," it's "until your next turn," which can be a viable defensive option with a rattlesnake like Hornet Nest, High Priest of Penance, Illusory Ambusher, etc. I don't know that I'd want it in a cube as the other parts of the combo are so specific, but the options are out there.

It might be worth running for the delayed flying reanimation alone, but eh, not worth it for me.

You know, I was down on White for not getting new toys this set originally, but between Usher of the Fallen, Reidane, God of the Worthy, and now this, I'm very excited. Like, look at this bird. I'd have settled for a 1/1 first strike flyer, but this is even better, though the difference will be marginal most of the time. I think being able to tangle with 1/1 flying tokens and live puts this miles ahead of Segovian Angel, which was pretty disappointing, unfortunately. Glorious Protector is no Restoration Angel, but another entry in flash is nice, and the foretell cost means I'm pretty high on this as well (and the full art on this is gorgeous, I love the rainbow theme that they've started with the 2XM version of Avacyn. It looks like a sunset.).

389f0045-218d-41cd-bdca-8a9a0ab1b31b.jpg
0d5008bc-edbc-4ad1-9a06-7eea5723db26.jpg

theravenswarning.jpg

This looks pretty cute for a low-power cube or for one that actively supports flyers as an archetype. I can see it leading to some interesting choices in draft, since you might start angling towards "silver bullet" cards that you can draw at just the right time.

theravenswarning.jpg

This looks pretty cute for a low-power cube or for one that actively supports flyers as an archetype. I can see it leading to some interesting choices in draft, since you might start angling towards "silver bullet" cards that you can draw at just the right time.

I think this is deceptively powerful. It's the sort of card everyone tries to shortcut into "this is just x with upside" but all the small bits add up and for a mere 3 mana you get a bird, two life, a peek and a wish. It's a lot of value for 3 mana.

And a card! It replaces itself! This is bananas! It's a great signpost for UW flying that's not a lord, though.

AD738B36-D73D-4400-89EE-1ED3A172B970.png

This seems insane if your cube has enough legendary creatures. I guess one of the upsides of being a cube owner is that we can tune our cube the way we see fit.

Hm, in a ramp deck you get a 2/4 for 3, which is a fine blocker, and if you have the mana it can ramp you eot. And the second ability is goo as well. Maybe it's worth a shot as a gruul ramp card in lower powered lists?

Err, sorry--I mistyped there and thought it wouldn't go beyond the original discussion so didn't correct it. I meant to ask if a creature without an ETB effect could pass the Dennis Line in a cube with removal roughly equivalent to a Modern environment. But yeah, Omnath totally fits the question as worded!

On-topic, Radha is strong in Afternoon Delight, but if you like that, keep her!

I really like the Legendary theme, so I'll probably add the Tyrite Sanctum. Lore-wise, I wonder what the implications are of there being a cave that turns ordinary people into gods and also makes a nigh-omnipotent sword. Which gods came out of it, I wonder--or did all the gods we see in this set spring from there? As an aside, none of them seem to have indestructible, so that's a bit of a flavor fail (maybe? I haven't kept up with the lore this time).

I have to say, I think these are my favorite Boast cards so far:

tuskerifirewalker.jpg
horizonseeker.jpg

Tuskeri Firewalker says "hey, play your lands after combat just in case I flip one over", while Horizon Seeker says "hey, do you want landfall triggers every turn?"

Err, sorry--I mistyped there and thought it wouldn't go beyond the original discussion so didn't correct it. I meant to ask if a creature without an ETB effect could pass the Dennis Line in a cube with removal roughly equivalent to a Modern environment. But yeah, Omnath totally fits the question as worded!
If that's your question, the only things that cross the line are cards that cost 3 or less mana or are named Questing Beast :p.

Last edited:
cosimagodofthevoyage.jpg
theomenkeel.jpg

It looks like you just had to wait a set :p
So much flavour. Until now I have chosen not to break the singleton rule in my cubes, but I want to give Cosima the chance to go voyaging on her ship. I love how the abilities interact, allowing Cosima to return from her travels stronger and wiser from the lands visited.