Sets [KLD] Kaladesh Spoilers Thread

It begins!
saheelisartistry.jpg

First spoiler's out, from the autumn set of 2016; "Kaladesh". Birthplace of Chandra Nalaar, and probably full of artifacts if we are to go by this spoiler and the kaladesh-flavored cards from Magic Origins. Fire magic is apparantly illegal according to the lore some guy posted on the mtg wiki, and we can all secretly hope for a tinker reprint for standard.

Someone can double check my math, but I believe casting this on Precursor Golem leaves you with a total of thirteen 3/3 golems - the original card, four copies of the card golem, and eight total vanilla tokens.

Someone can double check my math, but I believe casting this on Precursor Golem leaves you with a total of thirteen 3/3 golems - the original card, four copies of the card golem, and eight total vanilla tokens.

I checked it and it seems right. At first I did it wrong and assumed each of the three would split into two when entering the battlefield, but it's only one of them so yeah 13 golems all in all.

Really, I hope we get more cards like this. It really feels like a home-run in the kind of artifact value durdle decks we all wanted tinker to get us.

I don't see how you're getting this. Precursor will only trigger once for casting this, even if it targets a golem multiple times. So that's two copies of the Precursor and two copies of each of two vanilla golems. That leaves you with the original card, two copies of Precursor, and six vanilla golems.

I'm not really excited about Artistry because for all the great best case scenarios, it's going to be subpar most of the time. A six mana clone plus mana rock is really bad.

If you provide the right artifact yourself, Artistry can be consistently a ton of value.

So, see if I'm wrong:
0. Precursor Golem + its 2 tokens on the table.
1. Cast Artistry, both modes target Precursor Golem. Stack is Artistry.
2. Precursor Golem's ability copies Artistry for each of the 2 tokens. Stack is Artistry, copy of Artistry, copy of Artistry.
3. Resolve copy #2 of Artistry, +2 Golems.
4. Resolve copy #1 of Artistry, +2 Golems.
5. Resolve Artistry, +2 copies of Precursor.
6. Precursor Golem's copy #1 ETB ability put into play +2 Golems
7. Precursor Golem's copy #2 ETB ability put into play +2 Golems

Result:
Original Precursor Golem
2 copies of Precursor Golem
10 Golem tokens.

13 seems right.

Now, cast another Artistry targeting any Precursor Golem.
8. Copy Artistry for 3 Precursors and 10 Golems
9. 20 Golems are copied, plus 6 Precursors which come with 12 Golems.
End up with 9 Precursors and 42 Golems.

The general case:
P(0) = 1
G(0) = 2
P(n+1) = P(n) * 2 + P(n) = 3 P(n)
G(n+1) = P(n) * 2 * 2 + G(n) * 2 + G(n) = 4 P(n) + 3 G(n)

Testing:
P(1) = 3 P(0) = 3 * 1 = 3
G(1) = 4 P(0) + 3 G(0) = 4 * 1 + 3 * 2 = 10
P(2) = 3 P(1) = 3 * 3 = 9
G(2) = 4 P(1) + 3 G(1) = 12 + 30 = 42
Checks out.

I don't know how to derive the exact formula. P(x) is easy, but G(x) is above my math skills:
P(x) = 3 ** x
G(x) = 4 P(x - 1) + 3 G(x - 1) = 4 * (3 ** x) + 3 G(x-1) = ?

If you provide the right artifact yourself, Artistry can be consistently a ton of value.
If you draft and draw the right two card combo, you can consistently get value (as long as you don't get blown out by removal)? Seriously, even if you draw your combo you can lose 10+ mana of tempo to a single Path.

The solution to that general case, by the way, is G(n) = (6+4n)*3^(n-1).

I meant copying your artifact and an opponent's creature. The biggest problem I see in Artistry is that there needs to be an artifact on the table, or it's an overpriced clone.

I'm not saying the card will make ripples in standard or anything, just that it's playable if you put some artifacts in your deck.

inventorsfair.jpg

More artifact matters cards. This one seems to do one of the mechanic throwbacks of metalcraft without using the word. I initially thought the tutor mode was kinda cool, but if you need to have metalcraft for it to work, it seems like it would require a really dedicated cube.

I think it looks pretty cool, probably the best metalcraft card so far? Depends on the content of your cube, but you might not need as dedicated a cube as you think...

inventorsfair.jpg

More artifact matters cards. This one seems to do one of the mechanic throwbacks of metalcraft without using the word. I initially thought the tutor mode was kinda cool, but if you need to have metalcraft for it to work, it seems like it would require a really dedicated cube.

This seems like a pretty sweet ULD include, right? For anyone with even slightly above average artifact count it can be a solid include, at least. Lets a drafter go into a cool UB tezzeret deck or whatever, and pull this sweet supporting land later. Nice!

inventorsfair.jpg

Between clues and thopters, I actually think my cube can support this pretty well. I'mma try it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Woah! Saheeli is awesome!

{1}{U}{R} / [3]
+1: Scry 1. Deal 1 to each opponent.
-2: Create artifact copy of creature with haste. Sac at eot.
-7: Play three artifacts with different names from your library.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This set is insane! Energy counters (a new form of currency to be used alongside mana) and vehicles (artifacts that you need to "crew" (tap creatures) to turn into a creature) are so out of the box for Magic o_O

Can't wait to play some Pokemon! This is a pretty sweet mechanic. Honestly think they could've made this work with charge counters, but I like this mechanic too. Important difference is that you get energy counters. Probably won't put this in my cube, tho.... don't need another cost symbol..... :oops: