Sets [KLD] Kaladesh Spoilers Thread

636088383520063047.png

Too dumb? Or just dumb enough?

Not too dumb enough.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Forced symmetry of mechanics across cards in cycles is dumb. They all look like mid-to-low picks as roleplayers in draft.

If you've drafted an energy deck, both the green and blue one seem very reasonable. The green one doesn't just gain 6 life, it also grows your 2/2 permanently into a 5/5, or lets your burn spell deal 9 instead of 3, etc. The other three seem preeeeetty lackluster.

Not too dumb enough.

All you need to do is play this, untap with at least 15 life and fire off 8 spells in a row and you're there babbyy! Weren't people talking about storm in cube? Look no further.

If you're curious about the math, this is a triangle number. We want the sum of the first n numbers, where n is the number of spells we've cast this turn. The sequence is 1+2+3+...+n.

The formula for the sum can be derived to n*(n+1) / 2, and since we want to get over 50 life, plugging in 8 there gives us 8*9 / 2 = 72 / 2 = 36.

636088383520063047.png

Okay, yes it looks pretty bad, but I love dumb shit like this? Seems like a fun thing to throw in a control shell if you've got a slower cube. I really like it! I just wish it were 3 mana or gained a little life when it ETB. Then we'd really be cookin with gas!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Okay, yes it looks pretty bad, but I love dumb shit like this? Seems like a fun thing to throw in a control shell if you've got a slower cube. I really like it! I just wish it were 3 mana or gained a little life when it ETB. Then we'd really be cookin with gas!

That card looks like cooking with charred wood to me. 50 life is a fuckload of life, when did you last gain 30 life in a game of limited, without taking damage from your opponent? Will this even gain you 1 life on average per turn? Unplayable jank. Cute jank, granted, but utter and unredeemable jank nonetheless.

That card looks like cooking with charred wood to me. 50 life is a fuckload of life, when did you last gain 30 life in a game of limited, without taking damage from your opponent? Will this even gain you 1 life on average per turn? Unplayable jank. Cute jank, granted, but utter and unredeemable jank nonetheless.

If you'll note, I did say it needed to be heavily pushed before we'd be cooking with gas :rolleyes: I agree that it's junk as-is in 96% of cubes

It's clearly sideboard tech for your Brain Freeze storm decks against opponents that run shuffle Eldrazi or Laboratory Maniac.

I don't understand. The red, black, and white ones give you a 1-2 mana effect (Forked Bolt, Night's Whisper, Raise the Alarm) for 4-5 mana. The green and blue ones could do something if they end up fitting well in an energy package, but we haven't seen anything else energy-related in blue.

I just think they're neat cards, even if they're not very good. I do like the synergies that the black one has with things like Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas and Grim Flayer and might test just that one. I might be inclined to take it over something like Night's Whisper in a jundy deck if I've already picked up a Traverse the Ulvenwald or Ishkanah, Grafwidow. I don't think you'd play the puzzleknots if you're not looking to promote these synergies in your environment though.

I guarantee you this is going to see play in that Norin Sisters deck that's a nightmare online because it makes like 100 triggers every step and phase.

It's clearly sideboard tech for your Brain Freeze storm decks against opponents that run shuffle Eldrazi or Laboratory Maniac.

Sideboard tech against Brain Freeze storm decks is siding in 500 basic lands.

Kaladesh has the hardest cards to evaluate in a long time, maybe ever.

Key to the City is pretty interesting and plays a bit like Compulsion. Probably low power, but seems perfect for my madness module!

I really want Aetherflux Reservoir to work, but 50 life is so much. The advantage over regular storm is how, if you don't get there, you have time for another shot. That's basically a bad Sphinx's Tutelage, I guess? One of these predictions is going to come and bite me back in the future.

Puzzleknots look pretty weak, I guess having (at least one) artifact will be a pretty big deal in Kaladesh. Shrewd Negotiation, for example, shows how this can be the case. See Ichor Wellspring. Regardless, I don't see much use in cube for them.

I'd say a bit worse than a Baneslayer Angel, but still bomby. 4/3 flying vigilance lifelink dies to bolt, but if it lives it's almost as good. The option to make Servos gives it flexibility and insurance against removal, while the general buff is super strong in the right deck. This looks like a very powerful curve topper for aggro-midrange, and not a control finisher.

Interesting card for high power cubes. The opposite of Tribute has to be good, right?

Even after bumping up my cube twice from 360 to 420 to 450, it's still hard to make cuts whenever new sets come out. So I decided to just label certain flex slots throughout via Cubetutor for cards that people weren't digging/weren't carrying their weight. There are way too many cool cards coming out every set to keep up with. I was pining for strong but not busted options in white to draw more people to it and fair finishers at the top of the curve in blue and black at the beginning of the summer. We've since gotten the White Recuiter + this sweet Anthem Angel, who is recruitable and Alesh-able, and two new Robo-Titans that fit exactly what I wanted. This set is so cool.

http___prod.cdata_.app_.sprinklr.com_DAM_619_Cultivators_Caravan_FR-b55b8635-c98f-4506-b07f-ed83fa1fc63b-1984648953-2016-08-25%2009_57_22.png

Cultivator Caravan - 3
Artifact - Vehicle - Rare
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool
Crew 3
5/5

This card seems super neat. A mana rock that can attack for 5 if you have 3 creatures out. I like that it comes down turn 3 as well so it can't accelerate board wipes.