Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

I once read somewhere, that they would've preferred to find a way to make traps as artifacts. Maybe, traps could be a cool version of morph for artifacts.

Spears in the Ground {3}
Artifact
Trap-Setting (You may pay {1} and pay this artifact face down)
Whenever an opponent attacks you, you may turn ~ face up.
Attackign creatures you don't control get -1/-1.

Vile of Scorpions {4}
Artifact
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, if they control three or more creatures, you may turn ~ face up.
{T}: Create a 1/1 black scorpion creature token with deathtouch.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I once read somewhere, that they would've preferred to find a way to make traps as artifacts. Maybe, traps could be a cool version of morph for artifacts.

Spears in the Ground {3}
Artifact
Whenever an opponent attacks you, you may turn ~ face up.
Attackign creatures you don't control get -1/-1.

Vile of Scorpions {4}
Artifact
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, if they control three or more creatures, you may turn ~ face up.
{T}: Create a 1/1 black scorpion creature token with deathtouch.
Put a high but achievable morph cost on these and I'm sold!

I’m game for any new design of quests or traps. I see no need for yet again more cascade. Could also be yet again more landfall.

I would not mind trying to make "seek" work as a cascade-like (username joke goes here) - like, Seek New Knowledge could be cascade for two nonlands, put them in your hand, then put a card on the bottom. Doesn't have to be cascade as casting to be interesting to me.

I would not mind trying to make "seek" work as a cascade-like (username joke goes here) - like, Seek New Knowledge could be cascade for two nonlands, put them in your hand, then put a card on the bottom. Doesn't have to be cascade as casting to be interesting to me.
So, just to clarify, you want a mechanic that works like seek that finds something in library with a certain criteria? Or do you want something like cascade that finds something in library with lesser mana value?

So, just to clarify, you want a mechanic that works like seek that finds something in library with a certain criteria? Or do you want something like cascade that finds something in library with lesser mana value?
The former. I want "flip over cards until you hit X". It would look like cascade and people would probably shorthand it that way, because people are lazy. Like me!

My number one prediction for Lost Caverns of Ixalan:
IMG_8890.png

Beautiful art and exciting flavor, I'm really loving this set already.

intrepidpaleontologist.jpg

How many Dinos do I need to run this?

Her being a 2/2 for 2 that also incidentally hates on yards makes her a pretty good contender without the rest of the text for being a top tier 2MV mana dork. The additive distraction of the dinosaur text is a super cool live-the-dream type of thing, even if I only run 5 Dinos currently (based on early spoilers, that number is likely to double with this update). I love the idea of "reanimating" dinosaurs with my mana dork, so I'm pretty interested in this card even if I do worry people will gloss over the first two effects which are the reason to play her 85% of the time.

malcolmalluringscoundrel.jpg

Easy include, very excited about this. Love to have looters that can play in all kinds of decks, and this lessens the pain of taking out Suspicious Stowaway for sure.

restlessprairie.jpg

LLAMAS.

Uhh...guess I'm replacing the majority of my Zendikar man lands at this point. Can't imagine Creeping Tar Pit or Celestial Colonnade getting bested, but anything can happen at this point. They are nearly 15 years old.

saheelithesunsbrilliance.jpg

I like her, but would re-include the PW version before this.

uchbenbakthegreatmistake.jpg

This thing is going to be a beating in retail limited, holy wow.

spyglasssiren.jpg

Blue's Thraben Inspector? I think I still prefer Hard Evidence but this is a sweet bits and bobs card.

cenotescout.jpg

If I was still on the green aggro train even 1/3 as much as I was a few years ago, I'd be all over this. Love that we're getting so many compelling 1MV cards.

I could just see playing both TBH. This is nice in helping blue do it’s artifact stuff.

@ravnic @Onderzeeboot this seems like a nice Ninja enabler for you guys!
I would say from an accessibility standpoint that you'd probably need to run a certain amount of cards with explore before running this card considering it does not have a reminder text for the explore ability.

Although maybe the Map token will?

I would say from an accessibility standpoint that you'd probably need to run a certain amount of cards with explore before running this card considering it does not have a reminder text for the explore ability.

Although maybe the Map token will?
The map token does have the Oracle text for explore! I didn’t notice it wasn’t on the map producers, though. That could maybe be a little problematic for some people.

Map-token-MTG-Lost-Caverns-of-Ixalan.jpg