Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

I guess Avaricious Dragon was always Bonehoard Dracosaur at home lol.

v6l6xldlz6wb1.jpg

Even with 0 new traps and 0 new quests, this set still looks cool. I enjoy the return to the transform cards that turn into lands.

restlessprairie.jpg

LLAMAS.

Uhh...guess I'm replacing the majority of my Zendikar man lands at this point. Can't imagine Creeping Tar Pit or Celestial Colonnade getting bested, but anything can happen at this point. They are nearly 15 years old.

Not sure what you are looking for but Restless Cottage is very, very powerful. For my decks it has been stronger than both Celestial and Tar Pit. It is cheap to get a 4/4. It has graveyard removal. It has life gain. Very flexible and solid!

I just cut all DFC's in my most recent update, so... Oops! Guess I can safely ignore part of the set. Already saw some MFC's (mono-faced cards) that should be very interesting though!
Yeah I’m also not big on these DFCs for the most part so far. I think the best ones are literally the reprints.

cenotescout.jpg

If I was still on the green aggro train even 1/3 as much as I was a few years ago, I'd be all over this. Love that we're getting so many compelling 1MV cards.
Can we just take a second to appreciate how good this card is? It's either a 1/1 that draws a card or a 2/2 for 1 that lets you surveil. I don't have a lot of space in my green section right now, but when I inevitably switch to Zoo as one of my G/X archetypes, this will be a shoo-in. Heck, this card probably helps two-color aggro decks in green!

Can we just take a second to appreciate how good this card is? It's either a 1/1 that draws a card or a 2/2 for 1 that lets you surveil. I don't have a lot of space in my green section right now, but when I inevitably switch to Zoo as one of my G/X archetypes, this will be a shoo-in. Heck, this card probably helps two-color aggro decks in green!
is that a.... PLAYABLE GREEN ONE DROP :O

I'm also looking at Zoo--I love just how creepy Kird Ape's art is--and Cenote Scout caught my eye too. Lots of goodies in this set!

I will say, my biggest concern between this and WOE is how many 2-for-1 cards there are between adventures, craft cards, etc. I've found myself having to be really careful about how much extraneous value I get out of new cards so that my cube doesn't devolve into "play everything with an ETB and laugh at removal."

I'm also looking at Zoo--I love just how creepy Kird Ape's art is--and Cenote Scout caught my eye too. Lots of goodies in this set!

I will say, my biggest concern between this and WOE is how many 2-for-1 cards there are between adventures, craft cards, etc. I've found myself having to be really careful about how much extraneous value I get out of new cards so that my cube doesn't devolve into "play everything with an ETB and laugh at removal."
just make your removal draw a card too huehuehuehuehue

(jk the real answer is to run more actual good baneslayers like DHA and Goyf)

Am I the only person who has a real hard time telling the Common and Uncommon rarity symbols apart for this set?

springloadedsawblades.jpg
bladewheelchariot.jpg

As much as I'm mostly iffy about DFCs... I kinda like the idea of Crafting. I can definitely see this seeing play, especially since Map tokens are a thing.

jadelightspelunker.jpg

OK, I kinda love this as a Hydra variant/curve filler.

Not sure what you are looking for but Restless Cottage is very, very powerful. For my decks it has been stronger than both Celestial and Tar Pit. It is cheap to get a 4/4. It has graveyard removal. It has life gain. Very flexible and solid!

I mean that I swapped out all of the BFZ man lands for the WOE ones, and I'm anticipating I'll do the same with the WWK ones if they're all as good as this Llama. Very stoked.

4210710-magic-jurassic-park-basic-lands.jpg

I hate this so much, folks. The art is great on the A side Plains, but making a basic land unnecessarily a DFC is stupid. If they were both like the Forest where it's a Day/Night side, I would just kind of roll my eyes at how impractical it is as a play piece (or even as a display piece!), but the Plains is literally 30 years apart with different characters in a different place with different dinosaurs. I don't get what it's trying to say other than "Jurassic Park > Jurassic World"??

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 4.14.44 PM.png

This can get out of hand really quickly...

I'm intrigued.

Ixalan and ruining cool cheat targets by adding "if you cast it," name a more iconic duo lol.
There's something cool from a cube design perspective about specifically rewarding ramp, but this exact card does beg to be in a Reanimate->Mass Reanimate type of deck.
I don't get what it's trying to say other than "Jurassic Park > Jurassic World"??
It's trying to say "We put two options on one card."

f82bb486-7009-4b53-973f-477fc13ad7e7.jpg

Simple and effective.

c4fd9047-df91-4d82-be00-c623acae0f01.jpg

Reasonable stats on a pretty cool build around.

08318a16-a9ed-42c8-9433-876b7a72e368.jpg

HATE that cards with Descend N don't "descend" you.

b5c6f502-f11f-4e41-beb8-0843432fa431.jpg

Tracking the stats is annoying, but this is probably something.

caef93cc-70d0-4cce-9aaa-13c0931b2ef7.jpg

Cool tribal card for Commander fans while supporting traditional BG.

952cef59-bc7a-48e0-b05a-d9bdd6e05927.jpg

This card is sweet! Can easily imagine this becoming a top 25 commander!

just make your removal draw a card too huehuehuehuehue

(jk the real answer is to run more actual good baneslayers like DHA and Goyf)

Trouble is, these cards kinda suck--I run both and they're just fine. They're not bad, but they're nowhere near p1p1 material because they get stonewalled by midrange sides of beef like Bannerhide Krushok most of the time and that's not something you can afford in my environment.

To my real point, I get that you're at least partially shitposting, but the advice you give is a) bad, because the problem isn't about running more-efficient Baneslayers, it's about developing an environment that can deal with mixed Baneslayer/Mulldrifters like Mosswood Dreadknight or Luminarch Aspirant and b) rudely phrased, in that you're implying that the problem is that I can't select "actual good" cards. I'd love to get your actual thoughts on the matter of how to deal with mixed Baneslayer/Mulldrifter threats that come with extra value efficiently without resorting to only playing strict Baneslayers like Arcanist or Goyf, but you're not exactly being helpful here.

The obvious answer seems to be to run more sweepers, but that's only an option for control decks. There are some options for modular sweepers like By Invitation Only, but those are few and far between, as well as a pretty blunt-force tool. The other answer seems to be to power up threats to go under value cards, but the value cards keep on getting cheaper while the Baneslayers stay the same price (all right all right all right). That makes it a lot harder to hold the line on preventing value from seeping in when I'm looking at new cards.

To my real point, I get that you're at least partially shitposting, but the advice you give is a) bad, because the problem isn't about running more-efficient Baneslayers, it's about developing an environment that can deal with mixed Baneslayer/Mulldrifters like Mosswood Dreadknight or Luminarch Aspirant and b) rudely phrased, in that you're implying that the problem is that I can't select "actual good" cards. I'd love to get your actual thoughts on the matter of how to deal with mixed Baneslayer/Mulldrifter threats that come with extra value efficiently without resorting to only playing strict Baneslayers like Arcanist or Goyf, but you're not exactly being helpful here.
I don't actually think the advice itself is bad, but I do fully agree that it is poorly phrased.

If the issue that you're having is that you need to be careful about which mulldrifter-y cards you're adding in order to avoid throwing off the balance, that's good! It just means you have a good handle on your environmental needs and can be selective about your includes.

If the issue is that you want to play better mulldrifters but can't, given the power level of your other cards, that just means that you need to adjust the power level of those other cards in order to align with where you want the new cards to be.

The big issue is that it's hard to give specific advice without analyzing the entire Cube when we're talking about environments like yours that work in more unique design spaces. One of the reasons why I don't try to give specific advice as much as I used to is because I realized that throwing out isn't really that useful unless I do the work to try and understand the inner workings of a given environment. Otherwise, I just don't think I'm going to have useful insights. But I think just generally saying: "make your baneslayers better to match the mulldrifters you want to play," isn't intrinsically a bad piece of advice, even if it's not necessarily helpful to your specific design goals.

I do think the specific example cards @blacksmithy used were not the best choices as people see generically good cards and think: "Your cube is bad unless you play good cards," which is obviously not the case but could definitely be inferred with that sort of language. That said, I don't think the general sentiment of "adjust to what you want to play" is an unhelpful suggestion in a vacuum. Speaking from experience, this is often a good idea.

Hopefully this helps? Please let me know if I missed something. I definitely don't want to diminish your feelings because I think you are a genuinely thoughtful person who deserves a good answer.

It's also important to realize that blacksmithy's cube design principles include stuff like "I think Vintage doesn't have good mana" and "if it costs more than two mana it should win you the game" (paraphrased, of course). Any advice he gives should be considered in the context that his idea of what a well-designed format looks like might not mesh with yours.

EDIT: Bear in mind that I'm basically the negablacksmithy (I think that mana is generally too good in most formats, for one, and my idea of sick value is stuff like Vampire's KissAlms of the Vein), so...

abueloancestralecho.jpg

This guy shouldn't be a legendary creature, on the grounds that he's not unique. Unless, of course, Ixalan has an unimaginably severe inbreeding problem...

Last edited:
This guy shouldn't be a legendary creature, on the grounds that he's not unique. Unless, of course, Ixalan has an unimaginably severe inbreeding problem...
I assume he is either literally named Grandfather, or he was the grandfather of somebody famous (or just a famously long-lived friendly chap) and everybody started calling him that and it's his nickname. As another example, there aren't quotes around Mr. Orfeo, The Boulder even though he's not a rock (though, of course, there are around "Brims" Barone, Midway Mobster, so who knows...)
This card is sweet! Can easily imagine this becoming a top 25 commander!
oh my god is it really, holy shit rank 21 in the last 2 years, what on earth okay yeah it's just a giant Dinosaur tribal moron I'm okay with this but I would have preferred to not learn it this way all things considered :p

OK, so story-wise he's apparently just a really old spirit who doesn't remember his name... but I think it's funnier if you take the name literally and he's just some random grandpa that's legendary for some reason. :p
I think he’s legendary because he’s specifically the random grandpa who helped the story crew.