General Life Gain as a Thing

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
And when you think it/untap it/she dies, they don't get the creature back. She's certainly not the worst card out there.

Not really relevant to lifegain though.

P.S. The whip rocks and creates hilarious games, particuarly in a removal light environment One game someone had to do over 50 damage to win against it (and he did!).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Not a fan of whip. Aggro should not have to work THAT hard.
It's probably fine because it's expensive, but its just the kind of card that makes my skin crawl

RE: Mirike, I forgot blink, but I knew about the death clause (Few people's EDH with freed from the real). I'm still not buying it. 3 color card, vulnerable body, takes a turn to work, and now needs other cards to be good?
Can we do this instead?

I've been considering whip as it helps devotion, is grindy and has lifegain applications too, but then realised it was another 4 drop with a cost of 4 to activate it so surprised to see it getting some love here.

Enigma sphinx looks cool.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The reanimation aspect of Whip is a nice rider that gives the card a ton of staying power in the grindy attrition-based games, but don't be fooled - the lifelink is actually the key aspect of that card. Like FSR alludes to, it's not uncommon to see the Whip player gaining upwards of twenty life a game after casting it.

It was a novelty the first few times that happened, but after the fifth or so game that was prolonged for nearly half an hour - because opponents had trouble dealing lethal despite swinging for 10+ a turn - I chucked it from my cube.

As you might expect, the Whip is less of a combo reanimation spell, and more of a value-based recursion enabler at its best in a BG shell, not unlike everyone's least favourite cube card, Recurring Nightmare. If that deck needs buffing in your cube, Whip is the card to do it.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Btw, Enigma Sphinx is awful. I actually tried to run it in Standard a long time ago, and was continually disappointed, despite 'optimizing' my deck for cascade. For the sake of your own health, please don't run it.

On the other hand... this card is pretty sweet!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I forget exactly but it involved big green dudes, Thrill-Kill Cultist turning Empyrial Archangel into a glorified fog and him forgetting that you can't equip Lightning Greaves on said Empyrial Archangel.

I don't hate it, especially if you're pushing life gain. Don't forget to keep that griffon token, it's the only one! And it's a real card since it's from a duel deck, not a 'fake' tip card thing.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Wow it's the only one? Good call on that
Though worst case:
40.jpg