General "Looking for a card"-Thread

It depends a little on how fast your archetype is. For a defensive build, Young Pyromancer is the card that falls off really quickly, and the mystic is much better with it's solid blocking capabilities and steady flying board presence for blocking and chipping in points of damage.

Simply put, specific payoffs that aren't just "I win" bombs are lukewarm at best outside of their respective deck. You'd get more milage out of something easier to play.

This is a great point that is easy to lose sight of.

I also think this applies to your multicolored sections and removal/bounce/draw that could be played in a mono-colored section. I know this is an old debate, but the wording from TrainmasterGT makes it easily understandable. Sure Lightning Helix will be played in all your Boros decks. But Incinerate would be played in all your Gruul, Rakdos, Izzet, Boros decks. It definitely is a worse card, but the trade off (3 life vs increasing the amount of playables for each deck and the competition for these spells) makes a draft format more interesting IMO.

Some, like Kolaghan's Command are versatile and unique enough that they are probably worth a slot, but at least consider making the swap to increase the amount of playables in your format! Or maybe it is a decision to have Detention Sphere as an Azorius card so they have removal for the UW control deck. No wrong answers, just something to think about!

I don't know what you mean, I'm super happy with Talrand. He sees play in Izzet, Dimir, Grixis and other heavy blue decks and usually makes 1-3 drakes before getting killed. I consider his fragile body a feature, making him far less frustrating to play against than that 1/5 dude.

I don't know what you mean, I'm super happy with Talrand. He sees play in Izzet, Dimir, Grixis and other heavy blue decks and usually makes 1-3 drakes before getting killed. I consider his fragile body a feature, making him far less frustrating to play against than that 1/5 dude.

I agree. I am not going to say anyone is wrong or anything but in a world where every creature survives a Lightning Bolt you could almost just as well run Lava Spike in your cube instead.

On another, not entirely unrelated, note: I like my synergy cards to be as strong as possible and my generic good-stuff go-into-any-deck cards to be somewhat mediocre in comparison.

I love Talrand as a card, but for cube, I heavily prefer Murmuring Mystic. Young Pyromancer also is a strong payoff, and they could easily be played in the same deck, as Spellslingers often tends to be aggressive, but also more aggro-control, and a 4drop that gives you value over the course of a game (and isn't that easily removed) definitely is playable in such a deck, if your cube's aggro decks don't tend to have their end of the curve at 3 mana and killed you by turn 4.

The thing with fragile payoffs is that you draft a deck around them, then either you do broken things or play a bad control deck if opponent has Firebolt. It then needs to be very strong when it works to be worth the risk, so you end up with a swingy card.

I've prefer to play with and against payoffs that are resilient and incremental ones. They feel less like a removal check.

Sure. I guess I mean like cards that are deeply tied to creatures in the same way a card with prowess is tied to noncreatures. Beast Whisperer, for example, is screaming to be surrounded by creatures and it's in his text box. Your deck with Beast Whisperer wants a ton of creatures. I want stuff that's thematically creature-y.

Does that make sense? I guess it's a little hard to define cus technically most cards care about creatures, at least a little bit. It might end up too difficult to define and I'm fine if that's the case lol.

Yes! That's in line with what I'm looking for. Thanks. Vizier, Bramble, Savant, CoCo, Nylea, and Shaman are like spot on for the kind of theme I'm thinking of.

“Close your eyes. Ravnica bounce land. Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind.”

(Also does there exist a card that is like a Ravnica bounce land but not part of that 10 card cycle?)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
“Close your eyes. Ravnica bounce land. Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind.”

(Also does there exist a card that is like a Ravnica bounce land but not part of that 10 card cycle?)
The Ravnica bouncelands were originally nicknamed Karoos, because of...

(It's a five-card cycle, one for each color.)

The little word untapped makes them so much worse though.

I am looking for something too. I want another blue artifact payoff like these:

All of these have the huge advantage of working with little support. The rogue is a great 4 drop in tempo/blink/etc decks, mirrodin besieged is a very solid looter for decks that are interested in those. Both of these don't need a single artifact to work. The network needs a few artifacts, but that happens naturally, and it works great with stuff like wildfire effects or token synergies.

Are there more like these I don't know?

Is a 1/1 flyer useful for any ninjas you have or your aggro is slow?

How about a 2/2 for 3? Doubt it if you have Whirler, but, oh well...

If you support any self mill, this seems multifunctional.

Quite the body.

Blinkable.

Depends if a 5/6 for 6 is useful to you.

On-theme Cancel.

Everyone should run this in everything all the time.

I kept to blue because it looked like that was the goal. I have a loosely assembled artifact theme cube in my cubecobra if you want to peek. Was built more of a "Should I do this?" and ended up being a "No," but I didn't delete it and it's pretty built.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I've always been a fan of:

It was my main tinker payoff in my cube, but it also just served as a decent top end threat. It does get better with other artifacts, but it is decent enough by itself, which is what you seem to be after.

Otherwise, I think Brad has pretty much mentioned all the other relevant cards.
Although, I just found this card while searching and have a feeling it is possibly too good:

I have no idea as I have never seen this card in action, but it seems likes it just stops you opponent from playing creatures. Sure you only get to keep one and it can create some mind games, but I still don't like the design.

I alteady run Thirst for Knowledge and Wing Splicer as generslly useful cards and I even have before artifacts were a thing. And Animating Faerie is one I'm testing right now, but it is a little more narrow than something like Whirler Rogue.

I'm intrigued by Emry as a selfmill crossover, bit I think I like Argent Sphinx even more, as it seems to be a great control finisher, and that is overlap with an actual blue archetype.

Two other cards I found and I'd love to hear some opinions on them:

Epiphany seems like a decent draw spell even when you have inly a handful of random artifacts. Skilled Animator probably needs more suport, but could also be pretty sweet I guess? I have a really hard time evaluating these animating effects, and I didn't really see the Faerie in action so far.

Reactions: dbs