General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you are referring to blinking an unearthed thing to avoid it being exiled, it does not work. Unearth says: "Exile it at the beginning of the next end step or if it would leave the battlefield". Uncheatable!
You would think that, but I assure you it does work. I used this trick in Peasant a long, long time ago, crafting a deck around Dreams of the Dead and unearth creatures. It's an unintuitive rule, but the crux is that while the text on the card makes it sound like it always replaces leaving the battlefield with exiling, while in reality the underpinning rules of the game check whether this replacement effect needs to apply. When the game sees an unearthed creature being exiled, the replacement effect effectively goes: "oh, that's where I was going to send you anyway, no need for me to step in and do anything then". Thus, a blink effect can successfully exile an unearthed creature and keep track of it, so it can return the card to the battlefield. At that point, though, it's a new object as far as the game is concerned, so the creature "forgets" it was unearthed and gets to stick around.

From NOTES AND RULES INFORMATION FOR DREAMS OF THE DEAD: "If a creature returned to the battlefield with Dreams of the Dead would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead — unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence."

From NOTES AND RULES INFORMATION FOR ARCHFIEND OF SORROWS: "If a creature returned to the battlefield by the unearth ability would leave it for any reason, it's exiled instead—unless the spell or ability that's causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it. In that case, the spell or ability succeeds at exiling the creature. If the spell or ability later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Ephemerate might, for example), the creature card will return as a new object with no relation to its previous existence. The unearth effect will no longer apply to it."

Last edited:
:o I've been a fool! Uneart is even cooler than I thought! Thank you for making me realize it!

Why is blink always considered a {W}{U} theme? Are we being blinded into an unnecessary tradition because of blinking spells being in blue, Mulldrifter, and the later printing of Soulherder? Wouldn't it be cool to put blink in {W}{B} or {R}{W}? Unearth, Siege-Gang Commander, Keldon Marauders, etc. Just use some white blinking and add the good ETBs that every color have.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You can do that, but the reason it's often considered a {W/U} theme is because it has historically been widely supported in that exact color combination, and in both colors at that.

You can do that, but the reason it's often considered a {W/U} theme is because it has historically been widely supported in that exact color combination, and in both colors at that.
In addition, UW doesn't have that many non toxic archetypes to choose from afaik (would love to be proven wrong in this).

Last edited:
I think Blink is as far from toxic as an archetype with micro synergies can be. EtB creatures are everywhere, you can basically do everything you want to do in your cube with EtB creatures these days. And most blink effects are good anyway, whether they get rid of a blocker for a turn or save your guy from removal, all often while being a well-statted flier themselves. It get's even more open ended when you consider bounce effects, including stuff like Ninjutsu.

What's a good reward for having a bunch of artifacts out on the battlefield? Nowadays it's pretty doable to have a bunch of artifact, with "living weapon" style equipment, all the different flavor of artifact tokens created (clues, foods, treasures etc.) and artifact creatures. But I don't know what to use that with, really.

What's a good reward for having a bunch of artifacts out on the battlefield? Nowadays it's pretty doable to have a bunch of artifact, with "living weapon" style equipment, all the different flavor of artifact tokens created (clues, foods, treasures etc.) and artifact creatures. But I don't know what to use that with, really.
You could scryfall: each artifact, all artif, and so on?
There is opponent loses life for each, e.g, tezzeret.
Stronger equipment/creatures like cranial plating or any of the Nim creatures.

Ultimately, there is this beauty which singlehandedly made the game a pain in combo winter to rule them all…

Hm, I'm really happy that there seem to be at least 2-3 kinda nice payoffs for artifacts in all colors now.

I'm considering adding one of those fabled artifact sub themes to a new cube, but since the last few years it seems very doable.

all colors

Green's still a bit rough if you're ignoring artifact hate:

That said, Green can get in on the fun if you play up its token and +1/+1 counter themes, and if you use artifacts as its primary ramp targets.

And hey, if nothing else? Someone needs to be the premier removal color.

(That could be a fun little micro-cube... only run artifact/enchantment creatures and make all the removal stuff like Naturalize.)

Yeah... I wish it didn't have either improvise or ward {4} (4!) Or that it was a base 5/5 but didn't get +1/+1 counters.
The issue is it is in blue. So the opponent pays him/her/it/themselves blue and than you say nope, counter.
It can come down early due to improvise.
It has a ridiculous ward which is almost like herproof.
It is conditional unblockable.
It grows.
It is not weak to start with.
Blegh, It requires an answer and is really hard to answer.

I guess stay clear of it?