General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Considering if this is good for the deck:

It costs 2 and unlike Scry>1 effects it only lets you manipulate exactly the card at the top, meaning that you have to use it the same turn as a cascade card. So, you need 7 mana for dropping a extra 2/1 and improving your Noise Marine hit and at that point, is it really helping that much?
this card is bad

EDIT: if you look at constructed "cascade" decks, you're either cheating out a suspend card via cascade or (more relevant to this discussion) you are just running a solid midrange deck with lots of cards that are good to cascade into. like Boomer Jund or Pauper Cascade. so library manipulation is not strictly needed for cascade to be good. just good cards to cascade into.

this card is bad

EDIT: if you look at constructed "cascade" decks, you're either cheating out a suspend card via cascade or (more relevant to this discussion) you are just running a solid midrange deck with lots of cards that are good to cascade into. like Boomer Jund or Pauper Cascade. so library manipulation is not strictly needed for cascade to be good. just good cards to cascade into.
Yeah, I know library manipulation isn't needed at all it is just that I wanted to give gruul a bit more texture than "ramp like any other Gx deck but some dudes have cascade" and found that option to be the easier to implement. Right now I think with the scry cards I got plus a Dryad Greenseker there are at least some scenarios where the deck plays a bit more different.

Last edited:
I’m looking for a big cheat/reanimation target that would also fit into a spell velocity/storm build. Ideally Red.
Right now I have

Thanks!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, there isn't really an existing fit for what you are asking, I think. Mown got the two best fits, but neither are close to the most attractive reanimation options in red imo. It might be better to create a custom card for this slot, if you don't mind running those.

Also just curious: are there even any plausible decks that would both be interested in such a card?

Spell velocity doesn't sound like a deck that wants a big expensive card in my experience.

Yeah, you pretty much chose the two deck archetypes that want completely different things out of their finishers.

If you were WAY lower power, I'd suggest something like

Also just curious: are there even any plausible decks that would both be interested in such a card?

I haven't found the exact examples that I've already drafted (it's so annoying that CubeCobra removed the deck names. I can't look through hundreds of drafts), but I have a few examples from my MP cube (same principle, slightly different cards and win cons).

Trying to chain together lots of spells for a Brain Freeze. Since you are already filling the GY, you can put your Reanimate to great use. Sneak Attack and Gyruda, Doom of Depths both get Griselbrand onto the battlefield for some explosive potential. This deck desperately wants Underworld Breach, Yawgmoth's Will or even Elixir of Immortality, but I didn't see/draft them.

There are a lot of cards to trigger in this list, the best one being Professor Onyx when you can resolve it. Otherwise you trigger Jace VP, Thing in the Ice or Sedgemoor Witch until you can.

This deck doesn't actually have either reanimation targets, but they would play well if it did. Chaining spells to trigger Shark Typhoon or to mill out your library and win with Thassa's Oracle or Nexus of Fate.

Erik Twice also suggested Dream Halls to me some time ago, which was a great suggestion for this type of deck that I will try and include in my cube now!

I’m looking for a big cheat/reanimation target that would also fit into a spell velocity/storm build. Ideally Red.
Right now I have

Thanks!
As others have mentioned, the intersection between "Storm" and "Reanimator" is a bit lacking. I'd definitely lean into Bedlam Reveler just because it works very well with decks that are looking to fill the graveyard. Otherwise, you may have success with something like Bogardan Hellkite that just domes the opponent for a ton when it enters the battlefield or Etali, Primal Conqueror which gives you multiple free spell casts regardless of whether you play it for mana or cheat it with a reanimation spell.

As others have mentioned, the intersection between "Storm" and "Reanimator" is a bit lacking.
It's definitely not plan A, but just like some decks have Tinker for Bolas's Citadel or Myr Battlesphere, I am hoping to be able to Shelldock Isle, Dream Halls or Reanimate a fatty that fits into the Storm theme.

Many of the set up cards for Storm also bin cards (Frantic Search, Consider, Faithless Looting, even Thoughtseize in a pinch and a lot more). The best Storm engines also want a full GY with Yawgmoth's Will and Underworld Breach. I could be way off base here, but I think it's a nice subtheme of combo decks that give the draft environment more depth.

I am looking for cards that can do something from the graveyard.

Think cards like

I only need cards in Mardu colors: White, black and Red.

Stuff like Anger is super interesting because they don’t really require ressources after entering the cemetery zone.
I agree, but sometimes they do not have an answer. Anger can be answered, wonder is a bit more painful. Let alone:

That one is either too slow or unbeatable/inevitable depending on the other cards in the pool. These are fun cards, but only so in a tight band. Some of the anger cards are not up to par compared to the others.

Okay let’s narrow the search a little bit

I am now mostly looking for either the most OP of the cards (that can do something from the graveyard in Mardu) or the ones that require almost nothing from you after they are in the graveyard. Like one mana activation, Angers or something like this. Low cost.

Okay let’s narrow the search a little bit

I am now mostly looking for either the most OP of the cards (that can do something from the graveyard in Mardu) or the ones that require almost nothing from you after they are in the graveyard. Like one mana activation, Angers or something like this. Low cost.
if you want the most OP, my list is pretty much that (+ a few that are on the low end of the top).
i guess i left out Bridge from Below and the Bazaar dredgers...

I have a very specific problem. I have a lower powered cube with a very fetch heavy mana base. I love my 18 prismatic vistas so farfor several reasons and don't want to change that approach. But now, I have to tame some of my landfall payoffs. I have already cut Plated Geopede, will definitely cut Lotus Cobra and - that's also a side question for you guys - pribably have to cut Steppe Lynx and Akoum Hellhound. So I am looking for at least three landfall effects that are tame enough to work in a lower powered cube with decks often having 3-4 fetches, even more if they really want to.

Fore reference:

That's my current list.