General "Looking for a card"-Thread

I'm looking for white cards that will make blocking more frequent. I have too much evasion and thus not much actual combat happens, and I'm trying to change that.

Any CMC, I'm looking for multiple cards. I already run the Hecatoncheires, but thanks, it was a good lead.

Creatures with flash would encourage blocking since you can play them as combat tricks and guys like Stonecloaker and Jeskai Barricade can provide a kind of insurance if combat goes wrong for creatures that you already have on board. These guys get stronger the more your format is focused on combat. Here are some cards that I find interesting.

I like serra angel too. I think all (good) cards with vigilance in white are candidates for being good blockers, and gives a nice flavor to white. It depends on how creature centric your format is, and how good the removal is, but being able to produce a big wall of creatures that can attack while still keeping all shields up feels cool to me.

This is another card that I saw you weren't running Japahn. Since it removes the opponent's best creature, and it having a decent toughness, it usually ends up being a road block.

I'd like to ask what red one drops people are running? I feel like I'm lacking a few, and surprisingly there doesn't seem to be that awfully many to chose from either. I run a decently low powered format, without too much good removal, so if people could suggest straightforward RDW duders I'd be happy.

The only red one drop that matters.

Also getting mileage out of:

When I had a peasant cube this guy was surprisingly good:

I think we're all magiccards.info nerds here. Once you get used to the interface and search line it's the best by far.

In threads like these, we're usually vouching for the cards we link, not just acknowledging that they exist. Probably a good chunk of us have seen every single card on gatherer (I know I have, maybe twice).

Appreciate the thought.

Kind of a derailment but are yall not using Scryfall.com ? I feel like it's so much better than MagicCards.info and it's updated CRAZY fast. The one time I've had an issue, I DM'd them on twitter and got a reply in 10 minutes, and again as soon as the fix went live a few hours later. They've got an amazing team, and the card-saving tool and grid layout is just gorgeous. Light as a feather, easy to learn; I suggest anyone who hasn't checked it out give it a shot, at least.

Kind of a derailment but are yall not using Scryfall.com ? I feel like it's so much better than MagicCards.info and it's updated CRAZY fast. The one time I've had an issue, I DM'd them on twitter and got a reply in 10 minutes, and again as soon as the fix went live a few hours later. They've got an amazing team, and the card-saving tool and grid layout is just gorgeous. Light as a feather, easy to learn; I suggest anyone who hasn't checked it out give it a shot, at least.

I use both (I felt like I could answer since I was the one provoking this topic)

Scryfall
(New site with less than 2 years in the bag) for most searches when I know exactly which card I am looking for.

Magiccards.info
(Old site with more than 10 years in the bag) for Basic land searches and searches for cards where I want a specific version of a card. Not that Scryfall doesn’t provide this service. Magiccards.info just does it better.

Gatherer
(Mothership) I use the advanced search engine only. This is for when I have some info on the card but not the name.

Oh and..
Mythicspoilers
(Visual spoiler site) Only used when I want an overview of cards from the same set. Example looking for the Ixalan transform artifacts and enchantments are easier on this site.

Not exactly fixing any problem with evasion, but this card is great for White + Blocking, and great card advantage for white in general:

Nice suggestion, will test a copy for sure.

Creatures with flash would encourage blocking since you can play them as combat tricks and guys like Stonecloaker and Jeskai Barricade can provide a kind of insurance if combat goes wrong for creatures that you already have on board. These guys get stronger the more your format is focused on combat. Here are some cards that I find interesting.

I've tried Jeskai Barricade and Masako the Humorless. Masako was really fun when the cube was even lower power, but nowadays it's just unplayable - it's only good when ahead AND racing. Jeskai Barricade was great in the blink deck, but the deck was so annoying that I cut it, and the Barricade went along. Dawnfluke and Vizier are really low power and would also not be playable at my power level. Stonecloaker is, an evasive beater, a misleading signpost to the blink deck, or random unwarranted graveyard hate, neither of which I want.

In case you're not running this classic, she blocks like a champ since 1993

I'm running it, although it does have evasion, it does encourage racing and blocking, which are good things.

I like serra angel too. I think all (good) cards with vigilance in white are candidates for being good blockers, and gives a nice flavor to white. It depends on how creature centric your format is, and how good the removal is, but being able to produce a big wall of creatures that can attack while still keeping all shields up feels cool to me.

This is another card that I saw you weren't running Japahn. Since it removes the opponent's best creature, and it having a decent toughness, it usually ends up being a road block.

I will give this a try too, thanks.

I love Trueheart Duelist and similarly, Adorned Pouncer and Sunscourge Champion; eternalize and embalm are amazing mechanics, because you get rewarded for trading with them aggressively, and they provide some much-needed card quality to white, giving you value as an "extra card" from the grave. I've had many a match where I've had to figure out how to chump Dreamstealer without killing it to try and prevent the eternalize wrecking me and where I've had to regrettably swing into a Sunscourge Champion that was going to come back in short order to cause me a headache. Really sweet designs.

+1 for Trueheart Duelist
way more interesting than Call of the Herd as it's a human and in a colour that really needs some value cards that still produce interesting lines of play and boardstates.

Does Vizier of Deferment work in declare attackers/blockers steps? If so, then I find it to be an interesting lower power alternative for Restoration Angel and would be definitely considering it.

I'd like to ask what red one drops people are running? I feel like I'm lacking a few, and surprisingly there doesn't seem to be that awfully many to chose from either. I run a decently low powered format, without too much good removal, so if people could suggest straightforward RDW duders I'd be happy.

Looking at your list, you are pretty much already running all the top tier versions after Goblin Guide. A few that would be good fits too:

Also, if your aggro decks tend to be 17+ creatures, these guys are pretty good and underrated imo:

If you want to try something a little different, maybe this could be worth it:

+1 for Trueheart Duelist
way more interesting than Call of the Herd as it's a human and in a colour that really needs some value cards that still produce interesting lines of play and boardstates.

Does Vizier of Deferment work in declare attackers/blockers steps? If so, then I find it to be an interesting lower power alternative for Restoration Angel and would be definitely considering it.
Yes you can use the Vizier after attackers/blockers are declared, before damage. You can use it as a neat Flickerwisp/resto mashup for sure :)

I'm looking for more cards that support dredge with filling the 'yard early, while being flexible enough as good picks for other decks.

- Castable with {U}{B}{G}-Mana, meaning colorless cards would be sweet too
- Converted mana cost 3 or less
- being able to put 2+ cards in your graveyard

Prime examples I'm already running would be Merfolk Looter or Grapple with the Past.

I'm currently considering adding Mulch and Thought Scour, but unsure if they are useful outside of the dredge deck.

Was just thinking the same thing! Forgot this card existed, and that the card reads "land card into grave from anywhere". Great value with draw-discard, especially on the opponents turn; value with land discard effects; value with land sac effects.

Veeeery interesting

And a durdle engine deck really wants ways to remain in the game. Could it work as a way to keep churning out chump blockers? Molten vortex your tiny guy, block your fatty with my token?

And a durdle engine deck really wants ways to remain in the game. Could it work as a way to keep churning out chump blockers? Molten vortex your tiny guy, block your fatty with my token?

Yeah it definitely works like that. As far as I can tell, it has the duality I really like in this deck: control the board with a transition into a way to win the game. As in, the insects make great chump blockers, but they also make great board presence later in the game to help close out the game.

My favorite part is that it runs decently well on it's own, with no outside input. And accomplishes several side goals in the process: If you have a Vortex effect in play it helps dig for the loam half. If you have loam, it helps reach critical land mass (3 lands to deal with). If you have a recursion effect, it fills the grave to help get that piece one way or the other. Besides all the other GY synergies.

Veeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting.