General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Can get huge pretty quickly, has trample and ties into counters or spells.

Buffs two guys, counters synergy and ramp. I like the fact he plays well in aggro and midrange.

This thing is pretty aggro as well. Attack for 4 on turn 4 and refuel the hand. Counters and artifact synergies to boot. The downside (or upside depending on your goals) is that you can disrupt the "combo".

Okay guys, I need a hit. I'm looking for the best aggressive 3-drop(s) green has to offer. They should be really tempting you to play aggro and not jsut by being a 3/3 for three with some minor, non-aggressive upside. The best I can think of really is this guy here:

Dying to a ping is a little annoying, but it is a splashable, reliable 4/4 trampler on attack, so ....

Bonus points are given for cards that cost {2}{G} and/or maybe interact with the graveyard.

I'd say that the three best are:

Lovestruck Beast comes down early and hits hard, provided that you have a 1/1 creature. It's great off the back of a Llanowar Elves type creature especially. Luckily, Lovestruck Beast doesn't have any built-in evasion so it isn't too hard to delay for a little while.

The First Iroan Games throws around a +3/+3 boost to a creature after making a 1/1. It also draws cards. This thing is great for green decks of all types, but especially aggro where one can take a small value aggressive dude like Monastery Swiftspear and make it huge. It's also really gross with Dreadhorde Arcanist and friends.

Boon Satyr is nice for it's modal flexibility as an early aggressive drop, a nice late-game aura for a creature, or a green Murder on a stick. It's not as overtly aggressive as the other two in my opinion, but it's way more flexible than the beast and a lot more skill testing than the games.

As for your graveyard stuff...

Loathsome Chimera has over-performed for me in THB limited. Although a 4/1 for three dies to pretty much everything, being able to escape a 5-power creature every turn is absolutely great for green decks without a high volume of proper card advantage effects. This thing just doesn't (permanently) die to most removal or to combat, making it a great choice for cube. Since you support R/G madness in your cube, I'd definitely go ahead and play all of the escape creatures that are available to green, and the ones from red that you feel comfortable playing in your power band.

For people reading this in the future, Call of the Herd is also a great 3-drop for green aggro since it makes multiple beefy creatures for the cost of only one card. Ravnic already runs it in their cube at this time ;).

You know what, I'll give the Chimera a try. It might not be as much raw power as The First Iroanian Games or Managorger Hydra, but it has the most synergistic potential and sometimes cards look bad, but can change your mind when you test them!

You know what, I'll give the Chimera a try. It might not be as much raw power as The First Iroanian Games or Managorger Hydra, but it has the most synergistic potential and sometimes cards look bad, but can change your mind when you test them!

Absolutely. Cube isn't really a raw-power format. Even though high-power cards are usually better than low power cards, a medium or low power dude that fills a spot in the curve or is synergistic with a certain type of deck is going to perform better than some random bomb.

Okay guys, I need a hit. I'm looking for the best aggressive 3-drop(s) green has to offer. They should be really tempting you to play aggro and not jsut by being a 3/3 for three with some minor, non-aggressive upside. The best I can think of really is this guy here:

Dying to a ping is a little annoying, but it is a splashable, reliable 4/4 trampler on attack, so ....

Bonus points are given for cards that cost {2}{G} and/or maybe interact with the graveyard.

has incidental graveyard interaction and encourages attacking. is a top pick around here even without fetchlands but isn't necessarily the most aggressive.

May I ask for suggestions on Red Three drops?

This guy comes back from the yard every turn if you control a 4-power creature. This isn't particularly hard to do these days thanks to a great mass of 4-powered red creatures for aggro. Obviously Onderz already mentioned Bonecrusher Giant, but there's also cards like Bloodrage Brawler and Anax, Hardened in the Forge which are usually pretty huge power-wise. Obviously cards like Rekindling Phoenix can trigger the Flamewake, but there are also some out of the box ways to trigger this guy like Flametounge Kavu. I like this card a lot more than Phoenix of Ash because it is easier to consistently keep in play and it isn't as effective as a finisher.

I mentioned Anax, Hardened in the Forge already, but I've been very impressed by this card. He usually has at least 4 power, and provides wrath protection against control. Anax is a great card, and an amazing aggro 3 drop for red.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a {G/W} gold card, that really pulls you into a token archetype. And with token I mean that kind of deck, that gathers a hundred Saprolings, Squirrels and Soldiers to run you over with. The card can either be a enabler or payoff. It can be narrow, as long as it pulls you in this direction and is better at it than the Ironroot Warlord I run in this slot currently.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a {G/W} gold card, that really pulls you into a token archetype. And with token I mean that kind of deck, that gathers a hundred Saprolings, Squirrels and Soldiers to run you over with. The card can either be a enabler or payoff. It can be narrow, as long as it pulls you in this direction and is better at it than the Ironroot Warlord I run in this slot currently.

Well, March of the Multitudes comes to mind.

This card makes a ton of tokens and rewards you for having a ton of tokens, but only is able to really get out of hand in a dedicated tokens deck.

Technically not gold, but I went with:

Populate differentiates the token deck a bit from just being the "wide" deck.

There is also:

I already dismissed Glare as too good :D
And as mich as I love the Evangel as an engine common in Ravnica limited, I once cut it frommmy cube as I want my gold cards to have a little more "oomph"

Well, March of the Multitudes comes to mind.

This card makes a ton of tokens and rewards you for having a ton of tokens, but only is able to really get out of hand in a dedicated tokens deck.

Hm, that sounds really convincing and I might just take it. But before I'd like to know ...

There is also:

Is tgis guy any good? I love the Eldraine adventures for their gameplay and sweet looks, but this one just stroke me as so underwhelming. It is like a really really bad Raise the Alarm that draws you a bad Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon". If the token spell here would cost cc3 OR make 3 tokens, I'd slam dunk it ... but maybe I'm just undervalueing it as it is?

Glare is strong, but it's a gold 4-coster. Furthermore, GW is a weak colour combination with very little disruption. That said, I would only put Brago as a stronger multicolor card in your cube, at least at first glance.

Oakhame Ranger is terrible. It was very bad in limited and, when you think about it, you can see why: It's a creature-based, 4 mana Glorious Anthem that does nothing the turn it comes in and that you might delay a turn to get an overcosted Raise the Alarm at sorcery speed.

I can think of many GW cards that like tokens but the only two that are gold are Mirari's Wake and Glare of Subdual.

Is this guy any good? I love the Eldraine adventures for their gameplay and sweet looks, but this one just stroke me as so underwhelming. It is like a really really bad Raise the Alarm that draws you a bad Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon". If the token spell here would cost cc3 OR make 3 tokens, I'd slam dunk it ... but maybe I'm just undervalueing it as it is?

Oakhame Ranger is really quite bad. It doesn't support the token archetype so much as it just has the word "token" printed in it's rules text. You really don't want to be playing a card that can be described as a bad version of two other cards unless you those cards combine to something good. Neither raise the alarm or Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon" are good enough to justify running a bad version of both in my opinion. This isn't Fire // Ice.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oakhame Ranger is really quite bad. It doesn't support the token archetype so much as it just has the word "token" printed in it's rules text. You really don't want to be playing a card that can be described as a bad version of two other cards unless you those cards combine to something good. Neither raise the alarm or Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon" are good enough to justify running a bad version of both in my opinion. This isn't Fire // Ice.

Oof... Four cmc, (way) more color restricted, sorcery speed Raise the Alarm. The adventure part of Oakhame Ranger is so, so... so unbelievably bad. And then you get a super bad body to boot. I really don't get what they were trying to do here, as it's just a horrendously underpowered card all around. The difference in power level between Oakham Ranger and most of the other quadbrids is, frankly, insulting.

Fair enough, I guess Oakhame Ranger is quite bad. Versatility makes it better than it looks, but still not even good in stock limited.

That's embarassing, I forgot about the unicorn, and that's the gold card I actually run in my only gold Selesnya slot! Works great for tokens, counters, and wide decks, and pulls you into tokens.

It was late. :(

Love the unicorn, but I also struggle with my selesnya gold section.

are my other two gold cards. I find the Rallier to be more interesting than Timely Hordemate (which I still like) and Tolsimir is actually pretty good in my cube, as there are some wolves and Flash is a RUG deck with some cards in W that actually support the archetype. Tolsimir is just somewhat of a payoff in white.