Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

How do you even cast this in T3? Multiple Tooth of Chiss-Goria?

Haven't tested, but given it has no trample and limited resilience, I would not be concerned with it being too good. One awkward thing is how it does not synergize well with artifact creatures, upon which many artifact archetypes are designed. Sure, they can be sacrificed to bring it back, but at 11 mana, a cost reduction of at least 6 is needed to make it a real payoff.

How do you even cast this in T3? Multiple Tooth of Chiss-Goria?

Haven't tested, but given it has no trample and limited resilience, I would not be concerned with it being too good. One awkward thing is how it does not synergize well with artifact creatures, upon which many artifact archetypes are designed. Sure, they can be sacrificed to bring it back, but at 11 mana, a cost reduction of at least 6 is needed to make it a real payoff.

I wasn't thinking hardcast but I run Tinker, Goblin Welder, etc. Yeah I think I'll try it! I just cut Chromanticore for the much more playable/interesting Obelisk of Alara, but I like having a payoff creature with a 'wow' effect to get people thinking about the combo avenues in the cube.

Just did a Battlebond league at scout camp and had this guy in my Grixis control deck. I only cast it once, and never got a trigger off because we played Last One Standing on the next turn to clear the board of some annoying threats from our opponents. Do you guys think this is any good in a R/B or Grixis build that wants to be discarding cards for value? Is it worth a gold slot? I'm kinda interested in it, but I don't know if it's good enough considering how good my B and R 3 drop section is...

Has anyone tested this ghostly snek? Have you been happy with that ghostly snek?

PS. I know it's not a ghost and not a snake
Actually, it's a magical glowing serpent.

I was going to try this in my 180 4-player campout cube (it supported a heavy U/R prowess/spells theme), although I never did an update after Æther Revolt. It seems pretty cool if you have some way of filling your GY with spells, whether it be by Discarding, Cycling, or just casting a bunch of cantrips/cheap burn. If we are talking about your Casual Champions cube, I think there are enough spells in your UR and UB sections for this to consistently cost 2UU or 3UU. The question here is, how good is that rate for you?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I really like the oddsmaker. Worst case scenario it's a 3/3 for three, which is actually a super acceptable body in those colors. Best case scenario you get to draw cards while fueling your graveyard shenanigans. Obviously best if you include some nice evasive creatures in the color, preferably on two, you know, cards like...

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

Just did a Battlebond league at scout camp and had this guy in my Grixis control deck. I only cast it once, and never got a trigger off because we played Last One Standing on the next turn to clear the board of some annoying threats from our opponents. Do you guys think this is any good in a R/B or Grixis build that wants to be discarding cards for value? Is it worth a gold slot? I'm kinda interested in it, but I don't know if it's good enough considering how good my B and R 3 drop section is...

Heh, that is exactly what happened in my game of battlebond. I was playing UB splashing for the oddsmaker and Last One Standing and also had to blow it up before I could use it.

I mean, I still haven't got to use it but it's floor is decent (a 3/3 for 3) but it's ceiling is a draw engine that enables madness strategies, which has to be good.

With your Rakdos section, I would say that I have never been too fond of Mogis, God of slaughter, it is just a slow clunky Sulfuric Vortex, which isn't a bad thing, as that card is almost GRBS, but just never feels like it is doing enough. Olivia Voldaren on the other hand is stone nuts and if you untap with girl... Hooboy, will your opponent be having some issues then.
So if you want to give the Oddsmaker a shot, then I'd pick one of them two.

I discovered this card rather accidentally when doing a gatherer search:

A riptide search shows that this was discussed briefly in the single card spotlight thread, but I think it's certainly low-powered enough to be talked about here. Maybe this is niche, but I'm interested in it because I run a UG saboteurs theme with Writ of Passage and Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive, which both give this guy the evasion he desperately wants, and I've been looking for another green card with a good damage to player trigger alongside Ohran Viper. Is this still too narrow? Technically, graveyard-centric decks and landfall decks would also be interested in the ability, but those decks are less likely to have the tools to push him through. Has anyone cubed with him before?

In a similar vein, what about:

I used to run Avenging Druid in my lowest-power cube configuration, and... it was playable, next to cards like Brass Gnat and Choking Tethers. Looking through your cube, I don't think it's going to be played alongside Mindwrack Demon and similar :(. I think if they gave it Skulk or something it would be playable, but without built-in evasion you're better off with Hermit Druid or Satyr Wayfinder for the mill+land search, or the Explorer's Scope Inscho mentioned if you want the ramp on combat damage.

Yeeeah, I figured that was the case. I'd love to see the list that ran Brass Gnat!

I don't have the full list unfortunately (made way too many changes to the cubetutor to piece anything together) but you can see some of the decks I drafted from that era under my original Future Cycle list:

http://www.cubetutor.com/decks/90917

the more recent decks were created after I gutted and generally screwed up that list but the last couple pages should be pretty pristine records of Brass Gnat and Grifter's Blade decks :p

Here's a Sneak Attack deck that was running Avenging Druid:

GRub Sneak Attack from CubeTutor.com

not really sure why Murderer's Axe was in that deck, or why I seemingly didn't draft any recursion but there you have it :p