Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I think this card really is for lower powered environments following the riptidian philosophy of turn-2-aggro where this card really shines.

Unearth

Dash

other synergies that fit in low power

creating tokens with haste or entering attacking

higher power

Archwing Dragon lol

The cube I might try it in is an Onslaught theme cube that could utilize the Elf creature type and has a lot of morphs on 3. The Ogre body isn't abysmal there.

It could also pull off Archwing Dragon, probably.

Either way, I'm sure the Goblins would gladly eat some stone soup.

For most environments I think something like renata, called to the hunt is going to be superior. Still works with things like haste, but doesn't rely on it, and has a usually non-anemic body.

EDIT: How do we feel about this card? A crossover from GW counters into UG tempo, and synergizes with counters being put onto it too.

I loved Biomancer when it came out, but I dislike it as a signpost. I also dislike Renata and would rather have that kind of effect in a multivolour card like Good-Fortune Unicorn that is also a signpost. But that's just me and I can see your argument.

not a great card. You can kinda "combo" it, but only with other draw spells. I can't see many decks that want or even need that kind of effect. Like, bygone bishop is going to do a lot more work for the average white deck in both achieving the decks' primary missions and in helping fuel the later game with clues.

Not meant to be basphemy but ...

I just ordered a few cards and saw that the guy had a Gifts for 0.50€, so I just added it to my cart. i don't really know what this can do in my low powered cube, but I'm eager to just throw it in for a few drafts and see. Is this a good idea? What kind of decks can use it? I know some of the possibilities, but probably not even the half as I never played with the card myself. And does a cube require anything specific for it to work?

Obviously the more graveyard synergy and recursion, the more powerful Gifts becomes. It's borderline overpowered in my cube for that reason. If your cube can heavily profit off of the double entomb mode or you can fetch 4 cards that are equally valuable in hand as in the GY, I'd be leery of its fit in a low power cube. Worst case you net 2 of the 4 best cards left in your deck which still could be too good for low powered environments.

Intuition is more fair on average, but costs a million dollars

Mystical Teachings is a good low powered alternative imo. Very different range of outcomes, but has a similar toolbox vibe.

Not meant to be basphemy but ...

I just ordered a few cards and saw that the guy had a Gifts for 0.50€, so I just added it to my cart. i don't really know what this can do in my low powered cube, but I'm eager to just throw it in for a few drafts and see. Is this a good idea? What kind of decks can use it? I know some of the possibilities, but probably not even the half as I never played with the card myself. And does a cube require anything specific for it to work?

You need ways to make those cards matter. Flashback, graveyard synergies, or setting up weird piles is the way to go. I don't really have a lower powered example, but I've used Gifts in various ways in my cube from a reanimation enabler to a flashback set-up. Hell, I've even used it to Turbo out an Emrakul, the Promised End as a way to bin weird card types. It's just so fun to play with that I'd say it's well worth the inclusion in most cubes.

how unpowered did u say you wanted your wolfir silverheart?

trying to live a dream with selesnya eulogist and other eternalize cards
033a69fb-2af9-426c-b1d6-3e5b18c78c9a.jpg

Well, if you're power level is low enough, it can be a first pick worthy card. Shivan Dragon is in my Ravnica/9th Edition cube. Moonveil Dragon can end games even quicker, especially if you're not a low on creatures control deck. Of course your cube must be fair enough for a 6-drop that has to untap.

Today I want to talk about some weapons:

Spell velocity is a thing these days, we not only have flashback (and buyback), but also stuff like adventures and lands that are also spells. Also, with recursion and lands that cycle and all, it is quite easy to have at least one spell to cast per turn cycle. Also, the threat of (double) triggering might be a plus too, when the opponent decides if they block. Also, the promise of attacking with a 5/5 Healer's Hawk is tempting. So maybe this is actually more than just a Vulshok Morningstar you have to work for?

It's close to free, mana wise, but is the boon really worth a card?

Shuko is not worth it IMO. Bonesplitter is not overpowered by any means, and offers a much more effective buff.

Leering Emblem is definitely more interesting. It does proc off any spell, not just instants/sorceries, so cheap creatures etc. also help buff it. Combo-kill potential with Kor Skyfisher and Oketra's Monument. That said, still not sure if it's worth it over the Morningstar, or my preferred trusty machete. Really drops off late game compared to the static buff.

Oh, I must have overlooked that one. I think I like that one more than the emblem. It gives pseudo removal protection and is probably the least parasitic heroic card ever and is worth it even in a lower powered cube without heroic support. It is probably gets into "great" territoriy quickly when you've got a few combat tricks/auras at hand.

Really drops off late game compared to the static buff.

This point is very important in my opinion. Depending on your powerlevel, equipments can be _very_ useful in late game attrition wars/topdeck mode as they give your smoll creatures an edge over your opps blockers. Equipments persist throughout the course of the game (one of their strenghts vis-a-vis auras) and therefore the above point has even more weight.

Has anyone here played with this card? It looks pretty interesting since it really messes with the combat math, especially since you can use it to basically give the Armasaur firstest strike.

EDIT:

I went looking for other creatures with tap abilities + vigilance, and I came across this guy. Look at that fantastic beard:

All you need is some sharpie to remove one of those white mana symbols...

Played a lot with Steadfast Armasaur in Ixalan, where it was amazing. The threat of activation means that blocking it is really hard, but because it's a 2-power 4-drop, it doesn't work very well as aggression in most cubes.

On defense, leaving up 2 mana is a lot for a white deck (that often can't do much with open mana).

At retail power levels, it can be ok, but I feel like Ixalan, full of 2/2s, bad removal, reliance on combat tricks, good auras and synergies with dinosaurs was its very best.

What do you guys think of this card? It seems like a sweet token synergy card. Adding a fun subgame of drafting as many different tokens as possible. Is this too slow?

it's pretty good for signalling a heavy tokens theme in GW. By the time the "ult" pops, it's fairly easy to get at least three copy effects (barring loss in combat etc). The copy effect can really scale up if you have big tokens out like 3/3 elephants, 3/3 golems, or even 4/4 beasts