Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

So, looking for some incidental graveyard hate, I stumpled upon this card, which funnily enough was in my very first version of my cube (known as "pile of cards we could always build new decks from"). Considering that I run quite a low power level today, do have artifact payoffs (including splicers!) and protection from creatures is probably a strong default, could this card be a thing?

You could also set it up to survive your own Wildfire or other damage based sweepers.
This card looks like it's too weak for most retail limited formats nowadays... I get that your format is low power but is it like Wind Drake is a windmill slam low power?

Emmara, Soul of the Accord

Anyone ever tested this card?

I like the lifegain tokens, but I'm not sure. She's easier to trigger than Pain Seer, but it doesn't feel like she replaced herself before you'd get two soldiers out of the deal. However, Pain Seer has been good in my cube for years now.

I think it is a cool, well designed card (although it's kinda weird that a rich man in a chair is as strong and tough as a T-Rex). Looks like a lot of fun and comes with high agency. Also, if you can untap with him, you'll get your card advantage. That's a sweet spot to be imo in lower powered cubes.

Also, I like the flavor, that the more realms you've conquered, the stronger this guy gets.

Spamming the gain 5 life is probably really oppressive to aggro and the other abilities are really, really versatile in gaining some kind of advantage. He's a little low power in the sense that he lacks immediate ETB value or something, but I wouldn't underestimate him.

Honestly, I think so. I think they even scale non-linearly to be even more fair/generically useful in lower-power environments. Usually lower power decks don't really run infinite combos, and don't really have super spiky cards that stand out as the 'only' target. I'm also a fan of running the cycle of "to the top" tutors because it gives some tutoring toys to every color (mystical tutor etc)

And if you are running some cool packages like Loam or Drake Haven, it gives a generic way to build redundancy onto that.

Honestly, I think so. I think they even scale non-linearly to be even more fair/generically useful in lower-power environments. Usually lower power decks don't really run infinite combos, and don't really have super spiky cards that stand out as the 'only' target. I'm also a fan of running the cycle of "to the top" tutors because it gives some tutoring toys to every color (mystical tutor etc)

And if you are running some cool packages like Loam or Drake Haven, it gives a generic way to build redundancy onto that.

Yeah, it would clearly be for the 8 card I tagged as "buildaround" (soon probably 9 with Abiding Grace). Most of them are relatively tame (Drake Haven, Growing Ranks, Demonic Lore/Pact).

The only one that concerns me a little bit is Wildfire. And also, more than these "combo" decks, I am a little worried, that control decks might have just another boardwipe, basically :oops:

I'd 100% run Tutor if it were cheaper (edit: monetarily, not MV). I debate Entomb, but that gets into a consideration of how strong I want individual graveyard payoffs to be.

Booster Tutor is also a blast.

Last edited:
I'd 100% run Tutor if it were cheaper. I debate Entomb, but that gets into a consideration of how strong I want individual graveyard payoffs to be.

Booster Tutor is also a blast.

Are you creating a 15 card pack from the cube or opening a sealed Magic booster pack?

Are you creating a 15 card pack from the cube or opening a sealed Magic booster pack?
Pack from cube. Needs to be same power level.

Also might make a 100 card selection in different colored sleeves for Tutor and possibly Summon the Pack so that the cards don't get mixed in. Especially risky to shuffle together with Summon. The 100 card selection could be higher or lower or same powered, especially implementing some outliers, it could have dupes, it could have some narrow or funny cards that don't make as much sense in the main draft, whatever you want. Could nerf the top end creatures so Summon doesn't hit 40 power. Tons of choices.

Pack from cube. Needs to be same power level.

Also might make a 100 card selection in different colored sleeves for Tutor and possibly Summon the Pack so that the cards don't get mixed in. Especially risky to shuffle together with Summon. The 100 card selection could be higher or lower or same powered, especially implementing some outliers, it could have dupes, it could have some narrow or funny cards that don't make as much sense in the main draft, whatever you want. Could nerf the top end creatures so Summon doesn't hit 40 power. Tons of choices.

I like this idea very much. We’re dealing with a case of simplicity vs. creativity

Simple would be a regular purchased booster pack or 15 cards from the cube. Creativity could be your idea.

I thought about using ‘Collector Booster Packs’ because they have such rich cards in there.

Back to your idea. I feel pretty confident you could mark the cards and it would be fine. Either use a colored sharpie and paint a small dot on the inner sleeve. Or go extreme and use a different color sleeve all together which will really make them stand out. In case you ever have to shuffle a card from your hand into your library (Brainstorm into Polluted Delta) you could use a replacement card with the correct sleeve until that card has been drawn and somehow revealed again.

Have you given it any thoughts as to which 100 cards?

Have you given it any thoughts as to which 100 cards?
I only came up with the idea the other day when I was pondering whether my format had become too streamlined and I was thinking about cards that I'd consider primarily fun. So, no.

It's probably highly flexible and largely inconsequential what you add. Original duals could be in there, for example, because you had to pay B to access the pack. Lotus might even be fine as a weird Dark Ritual. Recall would still be gross at UB, so maybe not that. Could have fun with it.

It would be cool if Booster Tutor was part of a cycle.

White Booster Tutor {1}{W}
Creature - Kor Wizard
When ~ enters the battlefield, open a sealed magic booster. Chose a card with mana value 3 or less, reveal it and put it into your hand
1/1

Blue Booster Tutor {U}
Instant
Open a sealed magic booster. Chose a noncreature card, reveal it and put it into your hand. Scry 1.

Red Booster Tutor {R}
Sorcery
Open a sealed magic booster. Chose two cards from it and put these into your hand. Then discard a card at random.

Green Booster Tutor {1}{G}
Creature - Elf Shaman
When ~ enters the battlefield, open a sealed magic booster. Chose a permanent card from it, reveal it and put it into your hand.
1/1