Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

soooooo the thing about a 7 cost creature is typically you want it to be good when you’re behind. ill spare you the usual “and also i want it to win the game on the spot and have an alternate casting mode at 1-3 mana…” because i think Regal Force’s problem is it does very little when you’re behind. like if i’m getting beaten down i want a Pelakka Wurm for the same cost to lifegain back into the game, or an Owlbear to draw a Doom Blade so i can block something and kill something. Regal Force is pretty worthless unless i’m either pushing damage myself or stalled on board, and i don’t want to plan on being ahead when i finally get to 7 lands for my top end. that’s just not how games of limited tend to go.
EDIT: another good point of comparison from peasant cube is Rise of the Ants, which is really good when behind as it gains you life, puts 2 big bodies out, AND draws you an 8 mana card that does the same thing again

I have a tendency to like cards that prefer drawing your whole deck instead of beating your opponent
I am in the same boat. However, I would argue that you want your card draw earlier than with your 7 drop. Drawing cards throughout the game is a great way to keep both players engaged and keep the game moving forward. It also lets you hit your land drops to get to that 7 mana more reliably.

Once I get to that 7 mana, I want to either stabilize or put myself in a position to win, depending on the game state. Regal Force does neither as blacksmithy mentioned. Something like Foe-Razer Regent or Sandwurm Convergence are more enticing to me.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. However, I would argue that you want your card draw earlier than with your 7 drop. Drawing cards throughout the game is a great way to keep both players engaged and keep the game moving forward. It also lets you hit your land drops to get to that 7 mana more reliably.

Once I get to that 7 mana, I want to either stabilize or ut myself in a position to win, depending on the game state. Regal Force does neither as blacksmithy mentioned. Something like Foe-Razer Regent or Sandwurm Convergence are more enticing to me.
BIG ups for sandwurm convergence!

Allow me to sing the praises of this little card:

Blessed Alliance exists to do one thing - screw with combat math. Oh, sure, you can use it to combo with creatures with {T} abilities, but it really exists to turn villain's good attacks into bad attacks. They swing in with a big evasive attacker? Make them sacrifice it. They over-committed because they thought they had lethal? One of your three options probably says that they're wrong.

Now, your cube has to be the kind of cube where combat tricks aren't embarrassing. But if that's the case... give Blessed Alliance a try.

I like the card quite a bit. The main reason I don't run it is, that I dislike removal spells, that are only for aggressive or, like in this case, only for defensive decks. The advantages of keeping your removal that flexible is, that you need to spend less slots on it and it is easier to track, if you have the right amount.

Anyone ever tested this guy? Mayhem Devil is a tad too explosive for my cube, so I am looking for the next best payoff and I like that this guy works with fetches and artifacts that sac themselves. Also, decent target for equipment, right?

A cool way to generate value and tempo in a format full of discard outlets, selfmill and small creatures, or just a fancy Riot Gear?
I've never seen this card in a cube, but mine might just be the environment it needs to shine without stupid combos.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

A cool way to generate value and tempo in a format full of discard outlets, selfmill and small creatures, or just a fancy Riot Gear?
I've never seen this card in a cube, but mine might just be the environment it needs to shine without stupid combos.
An oppressive combo with Thopter Foundry, but quite fun if you run sac outlets for artifacts and a way to reliably create 1/1 bodies.

ehhhhhh i dunno, i feel like it’s not a lot of payoff or incentive for anything if it doesn’t create an infinite loop of some kind. maybe if it gave +2+2?

i think it’s pretty cool. i might fiddle with the stats or abilities a bit but the basic design is really solid. you gain ~1.5 cards worth of goodies every time it connects, and it has that sweet sweet deathtouch for trading better.

Does anyone play this card*? Does it do work or mostly just act as a gag that sits in sideboards? I kind of hate tutors, but this feels "fair" in that you can't plan around it too much and I've already broken Hearts with fetch lands and Pod, so if I'm in for a penny I may as well be in for a pound. The discard is also attractive, as is the ability to chain your tutors.

*Unfortunately, the search function for the forums won't let me see if anyone has mentioned this card already due to the worst "hot" and "tub" being too short, so I can't just search it up.

It's bad Survival, which is an insane card. You'd have to put in quite a bit of work to make it so that it isn't only useful in one deck or something. I bet there's something there, I just don't know what.