Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

Double protection is my biggest gripe with that thing. I haven't played it though, so maybe it's less offensive in play than in theory?

I've always been luke warm on the lifegain as an archtype thing mainly because gaining life doesn't directly lead to a game winning strategy. Ajani's Pridemate and Archangel of Thune is the closest I found, and pridemate is garbage without a lot of support.

I personally don't like any kind of protection on a reasonable threat. If it's something like Master of Waves? Sure, you need some set-up to maximize the output. But a card that might be able to close out a game on it's own if left unchecked? No way.

I just don't like the idea of someone focusing hard upon some archetype in a draft, wheeling sweet cards by making the correct reads and building their optimal deck, then having that entire process completely invalidated by a line of text. That's just such a shitty feeling when you can't do anything because of some arbitrary protection on a card. It's one thing if your removal can't handle a specific threat for some reason, another if you just can't interact with it in the first place.

It still bums me out that most traditional land animation spells are lowish CMC, and will set your land-person's P/T to a nonzero number, so then you have to target a different land with your high-cmc Awaken spell later in the game or else the land's P/T will be dropped back down to zero. Is this little rules hiccough something you peeps are likely to:
  1. Ignore, because you're not running those effects at all?
  2. Ignore, because you're not going to use both kinds of animation in the same cube?
  3. Ignore, as in you'll just ignore the rules and keep the highest P/T regardless of which order the spells were cast in?
  4. feel sad about?
  5. solve by employing an Errata Sharpie?

Found this in Flower's cube. Aside from creature-sweepers (do those belong in low power cubes?) it reduces the problem of 2-for-1-ing yourself with Auras in a way that's more interesting than just sticking Draw A Card on each aura.

Since this still can be wrecked by them, what are everyone's thoughts on sweepers in low power cubes? What cmc, how many, what colors, how strong? None at all?

Found this in Flower's cube. Aside from creature-sweepers (do those belong in low power cubes?) it reduces the problem of 2-for-1-ing yourself by playing Auras in a way that's more interesting than just sticking Draw A Card on each aura.

Since this still can be wrecked by them, what are everyone's thoughts on sweepers in low power cubes? What cmc, how many, what colors, how strong? None at all?
Always wondered why this is cares about auras while Blightcaster is less particular.

Sweepers in low-power cubes for the most part cost 5 and above with some small benefit, ie End Hostilities or are cheaper but deal only with smaller things, ie Infest and Pyroclasm. At least that's what I think.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I run a number of sweepers. They are usually pyroclasm style effects dealing 1-3 damage, or pestilence style effects. Some of them are de facto sweepers, requiring multiple creatures be sacrificed (consuming vapors) or repeat removal (death spark, slaughter, dark blast) that can clear the board. Some of them can also move at faster speeds than their higher power brethern (sulferous blast, starstorm).

I really like the variety of effects you get at low power, though oddly, wrath has kind of aged poorly enough where I almost consider it a low power card at this point.

Mom is amazing. I saw her hold off a Sarkhan Vol ult alongside an Archangel of Thune in my cube. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen.

She's strong, but she never feels unfair or bomb-y to me. It's still a 1/1 for 1 at the end of the day and is definitely manageable. I love my mom.

The hidden strategy part sounds very intriguing, albeit somewhat vague to drafters I would think.
A couple options which come to my mind immediately are:

SO COOL even outside of the Maniac deck.
  • Filter 7 undesirables out of your deck / move 7 steps closer to Maniac wincon.
  • Tutor 1 card that you love, filter 6 out, draw 1 because you're blue, trick villain into wasting ench removal to kill these 6 cards you didn't want anyways.
  • Put 7 super premium sexbobombs into a pretty little new library cuz you know villain ain't got shit.
  • Other?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Mom is amazing. I saw her hold off a Sarkhan Vol ult alongside an Archangel of Thune in my cube. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen.

She's strong, but she never feels unfair or bomb-y to me. It's still a 1/1 for 1 at the end of the day and is definitely manageable. I love my mom.

Yeah, she was out for a while, but the effect feels a lot more fair than perma-protection. There's also a lot more skill involved. One of the most awesome games I ever saw was a legacy game, Maverick vs RUG Delver, where the Maverick player declined to use mom on blocking duty for multiple turns to save it from a possible Lightning Bolt .

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
One of the nice things about low power formats is that suddenly all of those gravepulses become playable.

To elaborate on low power mass removal, here are the ones I run:

The funny thing about low power sweepers/mass removal is that they never can compete in terms of raw efficiency with a wrath, but there conditionality is usually rewarded with some sort of perk: life gain, instant speed, cheapness, recursiveness etc.