Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I really like that Firemane control deck. You are running Firemane Angel aren't you? How is that? I feel like the power comes from having multiple in your yard (so feels lackluster in cube). But I never played with it much, so could be wrong.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Firemane is pretty insane. With a combination of bounceland fueled ramp, and a slower pace of play, every part of the card is relevant. The body and stats are dominating in combat, the graveyard lifegain means it can be dumped into the yard for early game relevance, and the recursion provides inevitability. It slots naturally into the R/W midrange decks as a recursive bomb to close games out with, being probably their second strongest finisher behind jor kadeen.

The best analogy is eternal dragon, with the differences being that firemane is a better late game recursive threat, but eternal dragon is easier to use in the early game.

Just a great card. When I was drafting against Kirblinx (the draft where I built that R/B aggro deck) I prioritized it as a pick after he grabbed skeletal vampire. My draft was still waifing around at that point, and I felt I needed some late game bomb to help counter skeletal, in case I ended up in a slower deck.

And I consider skeletal vampire to be the strongest raw card in that cube, to help put in perspective how dangerous firemane has been.

I might have to try it. I always liked it design wise and the art is sweet too. Does anyone really have 10 mana to put that thing in play though? I mean, that recursion cost is ridiculous.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think thats really what holds it back in other formats. Over here, bouncelands let you include a ramp component in effectively every deck. You can see that in the screen shot where its turn 9, and B8R is on nine mana, due to double bounce (and can actually make 11 with krosan restorer).

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Here was what firemane was doing in constructed back than btw

B/R/W
As a baseline, B/R/W is very similar to U/R/W Firemane Angel Control, substituting black card draw for blue card draw. The synergy with Compulsive Research (dumping Angels early and often) is lost, but any Firemane Angel online becomes an amazing partner to Phyrexian Arena (they balance one another out).

Young's version has a lot of life gain from Lightning Helix and Faith's Fetters, and can therefore go to town with Searing Meditation. Though he doesn't have Compulsive Research or Careful Consideration, Scott does have Moonlight Bargain for Firemane synergy and bolsters both hisWrath of God and Castigate themes with Void, which is sweep and hand destruction both.

I haven't actually tried it, but I think Nightmare Void might be a good addition to this archetype, at least in the sideboard, because it wants to make opponents discard, and dredge is a nice combo with Firemane Angel.

R/W Variants
U/R/W Firemane Angel Control: Modern interpretations of “the classic,” this deck is keyed on Kamiel's Top 16 deck from Pro Tour – Honolulu. It is almost a true control deck, with Compulsive Research and/or Careful Considerationdumping the Firemane Angel, sometimes using the life gain to break Zur's Weirding. This sub-archetype is distinguished by the presence of both Wrath of God and counterspells.

U/R/W Resurrection: This version is very “Solar Flare” in flavor, hybridizing Firemane Angel Control elements with the minor reanimation suite of Solar Flare. Of course you have Akroma, Angel of Wrath (major distinguishing feature, along with Resurrection), and the draw-and-dump spells are already fantastic with Firemane Angel. Many of these decks have their own answer to Angel of Despair inBogardan Hellkite.

Flores' Own Deck
As you can see, this deck doesn't really fit into the Firemane Angel Control mold despite playingWrath of God (no counters) and is actually pretty offensive with Serra Avenger and Lightning Angel… but it still plays Wrath of God!

My former Righteous Babe teammate, the underrated mastermind Brian Kowal, built this deck. It is tuned to demolish Zoo and Rakdos, trump control with Demonfire and Firemane Angel in the long game, and beat Solar Pox at its own game with Flagstones of Trokair and Firemane Angel (who likes going to the graveyard directly from hand). A lot of people found this deck to be confusing to characterize, and even though I won New York with it, I am a bit puzzled at categorizing it myself. You may be scratching your head at some of the cards… Wrath of God and Serra Avenger?

Remember a year ago when the opponent had three guys and you tapped six for your Dragon to trump them? It's like that now, but instead you tap four to blow up all their guys and have two left to play your 3/3 Dragon.

The absolute coolest card in the deck is Fortune Thief. I liked Kowal's deck but was pretty sure it would lose to a resolved Glare of Subdual… so I thought up Fortune Thief. The post-sideboard game plan is to play Fortune Thief (99% of the time they can't kill it), and wait there until the opponent has drawn most of his deck, and then Compulsive Research him until he's dead. It seems silly, but very few G/W Glare decks can beat this strategy.

I'm currently running Firemane Avenger, and it's not OP and sort of fun trying to trigger the lightning helix (full art promo looks nice too). I feel like angel wants to be discarded because the life gain trigger feels like the best part of the card (so U or B as the third color). 4/3 flying first strike is solid but at 6 mana aggressive midrange is not a fan (at 5 mana I think they would be). I have no good place for it with the way my modules are currently configured and that bums me out a bit because it's a cool card. Every time someone mentions it, I want to play it. You raving about it is not helping either. lol

So, how do we feel about this 'mythic uncommon' from Ori?

Image.ashx

It depends on the power level of your removal. It was crazy good in origins draft, because only Unholy Hunger dealt with it. Powerful stabilizer, interesting finisher because sometimes you don't want to risk it against a double block or combat trick.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I'd have to see how that game played out but Kirb has 12 creatures in play and B8R has 9 mana out. How many turns has this been going on? And what did the board state look like when Batman came down?

I guess I'm just drawing the line on what I call "finisher/stabilizer all-in-one X-mas ham special" is a card that takes you from no board position and losing to stable and winning with 6 easy mana. Batman does not do that. If B8R was facing down 4 creatures with nothing but Batman, he dies. With Grave Titan? Hmmm.. probably OK unless those 4 creatures have evasion.

I guess that is the critical difference in my mind. Skeletal Vampire was a very real card back in the day if I remember correctly (was at least in casual play - I was afraid of it), so I'm not suggesting it's bad. Early max power cubes ran it even. I think it's at a sweet spot for what 6 mana should give you, and I'm running it again after along hiatus. But if you replace it with Grave Titan above, Kirb would have lost the game several turns ago I'm thinking.
So, I am terribly late to the discussion, but thought I would throw my thoughts into this matter (since my name was being thrown around).

The Skeletal Vampire did indeed save his bacon. He was getting beaten down by 2 3/3 flying golems. That was only source of air defense at that point. Grave Titan is indeed a stronger card. Heck, even Cloudgoat Ranger can be better due to costing one less and putting out an extra guy. but neither of them would have help in situation he was in. The vampire was ideal. Then when the Cutthroat came down, I knew I was in trouble, even if the ability casts 5 mana, inevitability is inevitability.

The point that you had never mentioned was that the large body can protect itself. This part is huge and what none of the other aforementioned cards offer. This card is great against removal (even though mass removal neuters your bat engine, it still lives!) and proves to be a real headache. Plus each of the 5 mana you are spending is not just another small evasive threat but also another potential protective shield for your large evasive beater and mana sink.

Trust me, once you are on the other side of this card (in a low power environment) you have to think real hard on how to get past this thing.

Also:
How do guys feel about Crater Hellion? Because I feel it's an old school take on how finishers can have their cake and eat it too (stabilize and finish) but at a very real cost. In this case, echo. If you spend 12 mana, you get both things, but only by spending 12 mana. And you open yourself up to the doom blade blowout if you do it. That to me is how a pushed finisher should look at 6 mana.

I personally LOVE Crater Hellion. I have thrown in my cube. I even threw him in my submission for Jason's contest. It was the fist rare I ever saw in action and I was amazed. It still holds up relatively well today. I like to think of it as my pivot for RG ramp control archetype as it does exactly what that deck wants, clear the board and drop fatties, which this is all in one card. Plus that art, I mean just look at it:

Why wouldn't you want to cube this tentacle monster?

Speaking of tentacle monsters, how do we all feel about this bad boy. It eats the stuff on your side that was going to die anyway!

I forgot about Caldera Hellion. And it pitches to force! I may have to shove that into my cube. Crater Hellion is much nastier though (partly because it doesn't need food and partly because it doesn't do damage to itself so can't be bolted away post trigger). And I like the critical decision you have to make on whether to pay the echo next turn. If it gets doom bladed, that's a time walk essentially, but the 6/6 beater is such a tempting morsel that you often just throw caution to the wind even against open mana (I do anyway).

Some hard-to-support low-power strategies look to be gaining tools in Oath. Here's some that I am excited about!
Equipment synergies that Might Be Playable (TM):
en_jZxryjMcpu.png
en_Ys4VOXxoXX.png

I have been wanting something like toll collector for a while to combine with equipment that is flashy yet overcosted to equip (e.g., Argentum Armor); the fact that the ogre can come down before the equip AND attack after activating its ability is perfect. Trainer slots well into tokens decks, is a human (finally, our race seems to be learning from the Kor) and has nice stats for a deck that aims to attack.

Possible Simic "Counters Matter" synergy cards:
en_L2KuJHYK4G.png
en_mgDT5ibQ7f.png
en_qE1YGuj2vr.png
en_EpO0ChpKsf.png

Unity of Purpose seems like a great "bad removal" spell with a bit of offensive capabilities in cubes that start on turn 2 (or just don't havea lot of aggro 1 drops or cheap removal). The pup strikes me as a nice stompy card in those same cubes. And the Troll... Erhnam Djinn with sacrifice/graveyard/counter synergy implications- yum! I cannot believe I skipped over Nissa's Judgment (arguably the most playable of the cards listed); it powers up two creatures with +1/+1 counters and probably kills your opponent's best creature.

Lastly, I think an incidental allies theme is to be had in Fantasy sets (but unsure if it really transitions to a more traditional cube without lots of singleton breaking). I am just excited to look at bolster vampire and human allies in my fantasy set homage to Innistrad...

But before you go, I'll just leave this here:

en_0z6lq74oCh.png
en_CtJcBe1Yl5.png

Edit: Nissa's Judgment added.

So, I am terribly late to the discussion,
I'd like to take this moment to ignore the thing you're talking about, and ask for your expertise on Splice Onto Arcane. Currently my plan is to go hard on Flashback because it interacts so well with Prowess and the graveyard, but I really liked your reports in the Constructed thread about your kamigawa-based brew.

Would you ever consider trying to build a Splice-friendly environment? It seems like there's a lot of play to splice, despite the lack of playables - when it's time to Flame Slash, you just Flame Slash. But when you're holding Glacial Ray, you might be tempted to save it for later and try to live the dream of stapling Desperate Ritual+Ray on to all the random Kodama's Poop cards that you drafted?

The more popular cards are popular for a reason and just work better more often and are less likely to feel bad but, part of the pitch I used to get people to try cubing with me was: "Are you bored of Lightning Bolt? Have you ever wished that the big 3 color morph cards in Khans were actually castable?"
What I'm trying to say is people come to cube in part for a change of pace, a little variety, and Splice, if it can be made to work, is certainly that.

(As for the hellion, I already stuck it in the cube a few days ago, saw it in someone's list and just liked the shit out of it, so I'm glad to hear that it's got good gameplay and not just good looks!)

I'm a little nervous about cards that effectively kill 3 toughness dudes for 1 mana. And it's an instant, so that's a pretty strong effect in my cube at least. I run Sunlance now, which is about as offensive as I let my 1 mana removal get (but it's sorcery). I don't know. Removal is in a tricky place - how good do you make it? That has such an impact on how the cube will play and I'm not sure there's a right or wrong approach either. Always the hardest thing to figure out and I'm constantly second guessing myself on how much and which to run.

I'll say this. Bad removal in a rare dominated cube is generally more undesirable to me than overly good removal. Too many degenerate plays even at lower power levels and removal that is too good only hurts fringe (and potentially underpowered) archetypes, which maybe isn't a bad thing anyway. But YMMV and I wouldn't fault anyone for completely disagreeing with this position.

I'm a little nervous about cards that effectively kill 3 toughness dudes for 1 mana. And it's an instant, so that's a pretty strong effect in my cube at least. I run Sunlance now, which is about as offensive as I let my 1 mana removal get (but it's sorcery). I don't know. Removal is in a tricky place - how good do you make it? That has such an impact on how the cube will play and I'm not sure there's a right or wrong approach either. Always the hardest thing to figure out and I'm constantly second guessing myself on how much and which to run.

I'll say this. Bad removal in a rare dominated cube is generally more undesirable to me than overly good removal. Too many degenerate plays even at lower power levels and removal that is too good only hurts fringe (and potentially underpowered) archetypes, which maybe isn't a bad thing anyway. But YMMV and I wouldn't fault anyone for completely disagreeing with this position.

I'm totally not sure this is low powered, to be certain. I think it's actaully a very fair but good card, because you are losing quite a good chunk of life. One more life loss = dismember, just for reference. Anyway, this popped into my head because it kills dead:
sylvanadvocate.jpg

Currently I consider Sylvan Ad as a tarmogoyf with a higher floor and a lower ceiling. I don't actually think it's low powered in the slightest, but I'm going to run it anyways to encourage ramp. Every color gets one or two "bombs" which are great on their own but gently nudge you in the direction of a particular archetype.

edittage: I react to a big green picture and miss the point!

Currently I consider Sylvan Ad a tarmogoyf with a higher floor and a lower ceiling. I don't actually think it's low powered, but I'm going to run it anyways to encourage ramp. Every color gets one or two "bombs" which are great on their own but gently nudge you in the direction of a particular archetype.

Just to be sure, the "low powered" card in question is ulcerate, in the act of killing the most likely quite high-powered Sylvan Advocate.