Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

You missed one of the best buyback cards. And no, I don't think it is GRBS.

It only took forever to win with it in Time Spiral drafts, because you usually had no way to utilize the 1/1s. But a simple Glorious Anthem or Zulaport Cutthroat effect turns them into a fast clock. A resilent finisher that still feels answer-able and fair.

Interestingly enough, I looked through all the cards with buyback this morning.

Sprout Swarm is a very cool design. It's not overpowering if, like Ravnic says, you have a way to actually use the tokens and push through them.

Haze of Rage is wonky. In my very little experience with the card, the buyback is a bit of a trap, the main benefit is the cost reduction compared to Trumpet Blast and the possiblity of hitting +3/+0. After all, you would need to pay 6 mana and do nothing else to get a +3/+0 on its own terms. I'm trying to make the card work and cards like Baral and Goblin Electromancer help. However, it's also a sorcery. It's weaker than you probably want but stronger than it's given credit for. I still don't know if it, well, works.

Mystic Speculation has a cheap buyback cost. I like it better than Whispers of the Muse which only works if you have 6 or 7 mana available to durdle. Most of the time it's just U draw a card.

Slaughter is good in that its floor is an instant removal spell. You can pay its buyback cost once to "draw" the second copy. However, the life cost is not negligible and I would only include if you have some lifegain available in decks that want it.

---

Since we are on the topic, let's review all other buyback spells. And who can provide better insight than someone like me, who has barely played them? These are the strong ones:

Corpse Dance has two modes. The first is to cheat something very, very big at win the game at the spot. It's an instant and it gives haste so it can reanimate Eldrazi for the win. However, that's for powered cubes. In lower powered cubes it's a value engine. To get the most out of it, you need a sac outlet but it's strong and fun. Demonic Servitude would be a simpler, if less interesting equivalent.

Blast from the Past has a very high buyback cost. Still, the card is so versatile you sometimes do pay it.

Capsize hasn't been as strong as it's commonly believed. Six mana every turn to keep bouncing the same permanent is a lot. It works well with other blue cards and can be very annoying but I haven't found as dominating as I secretly hoped.

Constant Mists is GRBS. It will remove your opponent's attack phase forever. Even if you somehow run out of lands, which you won't, you can still get 5-6 Time Walks out of it. No, thank you.

Forbid is a card I would only run in high-powered cubes where the 1UU mana cost is a serious drawback and your other cards are appealing enough that a Cancel is not the best alternative.

Walk the Aeons is just one more mana than Time Warp. That's signifcant, but you can get double turns out of it and then find a way to play it from the graveyard from another one. It's fun, but unnecessary and the extra mana is a bit too much for fairer decks.

Grillo ran Demonic Collusion in his cube and ended up cutting it. Apparently, even if it's expensive and the buyback ditches two cards, it's a reliable engine-builder. You may want this effect, or not.

Evangelize has a dream scenario and a lot of situations where you only get a token. I'm not sure it's actually good, but I would love it to be.

Flowstone Flood looks like a pretty strong "fuck you" to me.

Reaping the Rewards seem a fixed Zuran Orb. The Orb is busted so I can see it being an interesting alternative. Sadly, it's in the wrong colours and what makes the Orb so strong is that it's free. There's an infinite amount of distance between sacrifice effects that have a mana cost and those that don't.

The rest just seem unplayable.

Haze of Rage needs to compete against rally the peasants, which I don't think it really does. White is a better primary color for this type of effect IMO, and flashback gives a much more flexible version of the split effect, rather than having to stack buyback all into one big turn. Besides the fact that Rally is an instant, which can lead to massive blowout potential.

One of those cards that fits a midrange spells matter build as well as a control build that wants to go for the long game.
Instant speed blockers, especially when combined with on-board buffs, are pretty nice, too, if your environment isn't too high-powered.

Which of the Escape creatures do you like best? I like Escape generally better than Delve (except for Magmatic Sinkhole, Necropolis Fiend and maybe Ethereal Forager), especially as a long-term payoff for grindy selfmill/gy decks. Those three come to my mind first:

but I wonder, as it's very easy to support Escape in cube, if those actually might be oppressive? My cube is going to be lower powered, but I only have experience playing with them in Limited, and THB doesn't support gy as good as a cube can, obv
maybe those three are actually good enough:

any experience to share?

I've been playing Phoenix of Ash quite a lot in standard on Arena, and I really like it. Escape is a nice way to give some colors card advantage, and I don't think it's really that oppressive because you can't start repeatedly cast with escape until in the late game, or if you have spell velocity to get lots of cards in your graveyard or self mill.

I think maybe some escape cards like Pharika's Spawn could end up annoying in the case of very low power and there being a ton of self mill where it's effortless for the player to get a ton of cards, but otherwise I think it's just a really fun mechanic.

I think Phoenix of Ash is extremely easy to recur for an easy win. Three cards are very few, you'll hit much higher numbers just by playing your creatures and burn spells. If they fail to have a blocker or several removal spells, you can easily knock out half of their health with it. I don't include it on my cube for power level reasons and I include huge amounts of bullshit, including Uro.

It's just one of those cards that make slower decks less viable by its mere existance. The other cards are fine, but I don't recommend Phoenix of Ash at all. It's not a long-term payoff, it requires no deckbuilding and just wins the game on its own terms. No, thank you.

Haven't gotten a chance to use Phoenix yet, but I'll keep an eye on it when I do. That sounds like a legitimate issue.

Which of the Escape creatures do you like best? I like Escape generally better than Delve (except for Magmatic Sinkhole, Necropolis Fiend and maybe Ethereal Forager), especially as a long-term payoff for grindy selfmill/gy decks. Those three come to my mind first:

but I wonder, as it's very easy to support Escape in cube, if those actually might be oppressive? My cube is going to be lower powered, but I only have experience playing with them in Limited, and THB doesn't support gy as good as a cube can, obv
maybe those three are actually good enough:

any experience to share?
Every escape card:

Good but not game breaking. She does more work in cube than anywhere else because she provides any white deck with a card advantage engine not normally available to the color. Good card, please play.

A fine card for low power formats. It can be relevant in prowess decks. It's not that good though.

Probably fine but definitely worse than Think Twice and Radical Idea. I think those cards do everything this card wants to do. Having to exile 5 cards from the graveyard for this to escape is just too much- if it only cost 3 or 4 from exile, Glimpse of Freedom might be playable. Otherwise, I'd pass.

This card just isn't that relevant. It's fine, but not impactful enough to warrant a cube slot 99% of the time.

A mill enabler. This card is playable in some mill section but I'm not sure what that looks like.

A really good cantrip in black. This card can eat graveyards, gain life, and creates card advantage. Since it's just and engine piece, it can fit into a wide variety of cubes at almost every power level. It's a great card, and worth a slot in any cube with space for it's inclusion.

Bump in the night's mediocre little brother. This card is pretty bad in terms of damage output.

This card is a fusion between a removal spell and a pump spell. It's value increases in formats with a large density of X/1 creatures. I remember this being pretty good in THB limited, and I would play it in any low power cube.

Pharika's Spawn is pretty good when it gets to escape, but it's base rate of a vanilla 3/4 for 4 is relatively bad. This card is at home in cubes with heavy self-mill and discard elements. I think the spawn is good, but I'd be a little weary bad it is when it doesn't get a chance to escape. I would not worry about this card in low power.

A great little attacker that can come back big later. The biggest strike against Underworld Charger is that it can't block. Otherwise, this could be played at even relatively high power levels. As is, the card is a perfect fit for most low-powered cubes.

Woe Strider is not a low power card, but it is nowhere near oppressive. I'm playing this card as inevitability for B/x midrange decks, a payoff for Sultai Mill strategies, and as an engine piece for Aristocrats builds. The card is just so flexible that it can go into most decks, but it fills a different role in every deck in which it is played. Woe Strider is the rare card that goes everywhere without feeling like a boring monotonous auto pick.

The best part about this card is the art. A +1/+0 and haste boost is usually not particularly relevant. Most decks would rather have an extra creature. However, this is a good heroic enabler since it can come back when the first creature it's enchanting dies. There are homes for this card, but they are few and far between.

Ox of Agonas is better in constructed than it is in cube, but I can see it as a card discard and Jund loam decks will play. The "half wheel" ability of this card is a good enabler for decks that care about discarding a bunch of cards at once. The escape cost is very steep, so it's not a card that will be escaping more than once in an average game.

I'm extremely bullish on this card. It's really good in red decks trying to apply early pressure. It gives aggro strategies a way to pressure midrange in a way most other red creature's can't, and it's ability to survive board wipes makes any deck playing it have a better matchup against control. I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences with Phoenix of Ash card and it's something any high power environment should play. I this card does not detract from deckbuilding in mid-power environments, but having enchantment or exile based removal for this card does become important in any format where a 2/2 flying haste for three with firebreathing could be problematic. I highly recommend.

This card is good. It acts as a great intersection between several archetypes, including true aggro, something which is hard to support without delving into heavy parasitism. Satyr's Cunning is great because it can simultaneously give red decks a one drop attacker and things to do with their mana in the event that they enter top deck mode. It can also keep Prowess triggers going off even during a noncreature spell drought. While the rate of token production could be better, it's still a good inclusion for any environment with a heavy synergy component.

The goodest boy is also one of the goodest escape cards for aggro, just behind Phoenix of Ash. While the card's "Dumb Attack" ability means that it will sometimes get ripped to shreds in the ramp matchup, the fact that it comes back as a 4/2 means that it can effectively dispatch most creatures. It can even block the turn it comes into play, which is more than can be said about the card's closest analog Horse Friend. I like this card. It's good.

Spider Man is similar to Pharika's Spawn in the sense that it can act as a good payoff in discard and mill/dredge strategies. The fact that it can potentially snipe multiple fliers and come back as a relevant 4/5 in the late game is just great. I would recommend this card to people with space for it.

This card is only ok. It dies to basically everything, and unlike Underworld Rage-Hound which is an aggressive card an aggressive color, it's a little too expensive to justify the bad stats. In my experience with this card, it usually just becomes a dedicated 5-mana chump blocker or a 5-mana terrible Diabolic Edict. It's heavily mediocre, but probably playable in low power.

I like this card, but it's lack of evasion means that it is incredibly easy to stonewall. It doesn't make armies flee or kingdoms fall in practice. However, it is a reasonable card to act as an intersection between self-mill and ramp strategies. The card is reasonable, especially in low to mid power cubes.

Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger is a great card. It gives every red-black deck an inevitability and damage engine. Control loves this as a finisher, too. The biggest strike against this card is that the Rakdos guild section is incredibly competitive. Even though this card is strong, there are cards that allow for more focused plays. Also, as a Titan, Kroxa can be quite annoying to play against. I don't think it's as annoying as Uro, but I would exercise caution with this card outside of mid or high powered environments.

I really wanted this card to be good, but after much play experience, it has proven itself to be pretty mediocre in practice. Polukranos losing counters equal to the amount of damage dealt to it is just abysmal. Even the 12 counters from escaping can feel like not enough. Fighting the world is cool on a top-end finisher, but weak when it effectively permanently shrinks the creature. If Polukranos, Unchained had Phantom Nomad text, even with fewer counters, it would be great. As is, it is heavily mediocre.

Do. Not. Play. This. Card. I find that Uro completely invalidates both aggro decks and any synergy-based midrange strategies. It doesn't matter how much cute stuff I'm able to do with The Gitrog Monster or and a bunch of other loam pieces some other expensive midrange engine when Uro is off gaining a million life and drawing a million cards all by itself. Uro can easily gain between 6 and 12 life over the course of a single game, giving aggro an impossibly hard hill to climb. It also ramps, for some reason. Uro does everything in a way no card really should. Unless your cube's only goal is to just play generically good cards without any need for synergy, do not play Uro.

I really like the escape mechanic, so everything I've said here is based on extensive play experience. The only cards I haven't at least tried in a cube or constructed setting are Sleep of the Dead and Fruit of Tizerus because I found them to be so mediocre in my retail limited decks.

I run Uro and I suspect it's going to get cut sooner or later. I just haven't been able to exploit it yet. I just like that it's a unique UG card that cares about the graveyard which is absolutely what I want in my cube.

For me the big issue is the life gain. I've found that even small amounts of life gain can put a game out of reach and Uro will gain a minimun of 6 while ramping and drawing cards.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
My tolerance for OP nonsense is higher in Cube than elsewhere and I haven't found Uro to be too offensive. In other formats it rewards you just for playing Magic - in larger formats everyone has fetchlands and cantrips, in Standard/Historic you fill your deck with cheap interaction in a third colour that prolongs the game and lets you escape Uro faster. In Cube you can only really escape Uro in a UG deck, which might be intentionally built around stocking the graveyard quickly (in which case it's a great incentive!) or might be a permanent-heavy deck that has a hard time ever escaping Uro. The idea of using it as a combo piece with stuff like Altar of Dementia/Greater Good/Oath of Druids really appeals to me too

It has stifled aggro in Constructed even further but you see aggro-combo decks that can overpower incremental lifegain and that's the direction I want to take my aggro decks anyway

I wanna give a shout out to this card after having played it a bunch on mtg arena, in a blue red aggro-control deck with a lot of instant speed interaction. I think it might be a little demanding on the drafter picking up quite a lot of instants and sorceries but in the right deck this can come down as a pretty big blocker that gives you back whatever answer you need right now (kind of snapcaster style).

Looking for non-parasitic lifegain payoffs, I stumbled over this thing:

Has anyone played that card at all? Or against it?

I feel like it will be goodstuffy enough to see play in red decks, which can easily play it as a 5- or even 6-drop and then activate it's firebreathing with mana as well. So I would clearly count it as a red card. But the usually pretty aggressive {W/B} lifegain decks in my format wont mind it as a 4-drop. So, that's great, right?

It's alright, but never really made waves when I ran it. Maybe if you have a more dedicated lifegain theme that drafters really buy into.

Looking for non-parasitic lifegain payoffs, I stumbled over this thing:

Has anyone played that card at all? Or against it?

I feel like it will be goodstuffy enough to see play in red decks, which can easily play it as a 5- or even 6-drop and then activate it's firebreathing with mana as well. So I would clearly count it as a red card. But the usually pretty aggressive {W/B} lifegain decks in my format wont mind it as a 4-drop. So, that's great, right?

Hmm I think yes, technically, but is this something your drafters are actually going to figure out? Seems to me like it's maybe something if you really want a lot of depth in your format, but isn't something that is super obvious since it has a "red" identity which is outside of the colors (WB) for your theme?

Yeah, it is not obvious at all, but maybe this way I also create a way for drafters to really feel clever? :D

I'm not sure, I think the two crucial questions are: Will people drafting red put this into their decks? And will they be happy with the performance of robo dragon?

If the answer is yes I am totally fine with a weird {R}/{W/B} hybrid in a red spot in my cube.

Do you have an artifact theme or need for artifact density? It's a weird card that I think needs to tick quite a few boxes to work.

Slash Panther may also be worthy of consideration.

I have a minimalist artifact theme, meaning there are a few payoffs here and there.

These slot into decks easily, partly because they are good cards, partly because there are lots of artifacts anyway, because I try to make mono color a thing and I run an equipment theme.

So yeah, there are a few arguments that turn this into more than a red Air Elemental with phyrexian Firebreathing.