Sets (LTR) The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth

This set will have the legendary card type on five different card types. In a set without planeswalkers.

That leaves

Creatures
Lands
Artifacts
Enchantments
Instants
Sorceries
Battles

And Mark Rosewater has said we should not expect to see more battles anytime soon.

My guess is we will see legendary creatures, lands, artifacts, instants and sorceries leaving out enchantments, planeswalkers and battles.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This set will have the legendary card type on five different card types. In a set without planeswalkers.

My guess is we will see legendary creatures, lands, artifacts, instants and sorceries leaving out enchantments, planeswalkers and battles.
Sweet, then I will guess legendary creatures, artifacts, enchantments, lands, and sorceries. We've never seen a legendary instant, but we've seen six legendary sorceries. It just feels more natural for a sorcery to be legendary than an instant in my mind.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think it's more Rivendell that was protected by magic in the sense that enchantments are magic though. Lothlorien was protected by Galadriel, wearer of the white ring, one of the Elven rings of power.

The dark influence of Sauron on the woods around Dol Guldur (when he was gaining strength as "the Necromancer") could also be made into a legendary enchantment imo.

No love for budget Lingering Souls?

as a squadron pick. :p

So you pick on of the cards and you get both?
Or you pick one of the cards and you get two of each?
Or you pick one of the cards and you get four of each?

I am trying to imagine the squadron. It’s kind of an interesting combination I will say.

MaRo did a Lord of the Rings teaser! I don't have too many specific ideas for these hints since I haven't finished reading the books or watching the films yet, but I am excited for the card that makes a Smaug token! (Let's be honest– it's probably a Saga called "There and Back Again").

MaRo said:
Maro’s The Lord of the Rings Teaser

Before previews for The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth ™ officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• five different card types get the legendary supertype

• a decently sized “legendary matters” theme

• new nonmana ward costs

• a mechanic returns but now references a different creature type

• a card that makes a Smaug creature token

• two three-color and one four-color legendary creature to go along with the five-color one already previewed

• a lot of one-of “creature type matters” cards

• a mechanic returns that I had to fight tooth and nail to get into the set it premiered in

• a new creature type gets its own equip cost

• some counters in the set: burden, deathtouch, first strike, hope, indestructible, influence, lifelink, lore, stun, verse, vigilance, and +1/+1

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• “Whenever you attack with Merry and another legendary creature,”

• “Then create a Food token for each creature you control.”

• “Remove an indestructible counter from Arwen:”

• “Copy any number of target instant and/or sorcery spells.”

• “Whenever you draw a card during an opponent’s turn, create a 1/1 blue Tentacle creature token.”

• “Whenever a creature an opponent control dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Legolas.”

• “Target opponent gains control of target Horse you control.”

• “When this ability resolves for the third time this turn, Gimli fights up to one target creature you don’t control.”

• “You may pay 0 rather than pay the equip cost of the first equip ability you activate during each of your turns.”

• “Whenever you put one or more counters on Aragorn, put one of each of those kinds of counters on up to one other target creature.”

Here are some legendary creature type lines in the set:

• Legendary Creature – Avatar Demon

• Legendary Creature – Bird Noble

• Legendary Creature – Halfling Knight

• Legendary Creature – Halfling Soldier

• Legendary Creature – Horse

• Legendary Creature – Kraken

• Legendary Creature – Nymph

• Legendary Creature – Spirit Noble

• Legendary Creature – Spider Demon

• Legendary Creature – Wraith Noble

Finally, here are some card names from the set:

• Birthday Escape

• Breaking of the Fellowship

• Fear, Fire, Foes!

• Grond, the Gatebreaker

• Horses of the Bruinen

• Lembas

• One Ring to Rule Them All

• Oliphaunt

• Second Breakfast

• There and Back Again

I'm in for new nonmana ward costs
sauronthedarklord.jpg
sarumanofmanycolors.jpg

also we got some fun ones for many power levels (including one that I'm pretty sure will instantly see lots of play in Legacy?):
mirkwoodbats.jpg
orcishbowmasters.jpg
stormofsaruman.jpg

dunlandcrebain.jpg
pippinguardofthecitadel.jpg

(stupid durdly blue garbage for like six mana is one of my weak points)

1685472029844.png1685472075100.png1685472244647.png1685472269587.png

Looks like a cycle of utility lands! They all look pretty dang strong, too. I have only a few 1/2 cmc legendary creatures but I like the idea of having legendary as a slight buildaround. The art is also great. Looking forward to testing these.

Attachments

• 1685472168631.png
    1685472168631.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 7

Chris Taylor

Contributor
There are a LOT of cards in this spoiler dump, and a LOT of them make food. There's so many opportunities to add artifacts token stuff with these cards. If that sounds like fun to you, take a deeper look! Here's what stood out to me:

1685489934694.png
Look I thiiiiink this is just worse than evolving wilds but that's pure gut, and I run Prismatic Vista (and it's like a C+) so I don't need to think to hard about this.
But someone, somewhere just pumped their fist.

1685490039356.png
This is clean! I don't love 3/1 for 2 as a statline unless it has some level of protection (Adanto Vanguard if you're a sicko, Seasoned Hallowblade or Bladed Ambassador for the rest of us), but this is good text.
Yes I know there is cathar commando, but I wouldn't just dismiss this, 1 mana is a big deal.

1685490156376.png
Huh any spell you say? That's pretty neato.
This is pretty small though

1685490499417.png
This aint no abrade. Exile is cool and all, but mandatory divided damage is sideboard material only I think.
Sick art however

1685490570385.png
I love it. I love it so much, the token is incredible, the flavor is increible, 10/10 no notes.
Also this thing has the opposite of secret reach: secret not-reach!

1685490640677.png1685490662265.png
Man landcycling has been FIRE recently! Look I'm old, I have cast my fair share of chartooth cougars, so I'm easy to impress in this regard, but landcycling {1} is some shit I'd do, and as a result it's surprising to me to see wotc doing it (even in a nonstandard set like this)

1685490739131.png
Adorable. Probably not good, but if you're looking to maximize dice per card on table, this is your card.

1685490772806.png
And yeah, the piece de resistance.
At a baseline (assuming this is the only amass card you run, which is probably more likely than not) this is Resolute Reinforcements in black with deal 1 on ETB.
I run aristocrats, so I'm at least looking at most black token cards, and this also happens to snipe off a thopter upto a young pyromancer at best.
AND this happens again if they draw extra cards, so you can get a forked bolt out of this if you time it right.

I will say a buddy of mine brought up that "Amass Orcs 1" sounds incorrect grammatically, but I kinda understand.
When I play this card I'm going to "Amass 1 Orc" but reading the card still feels weird.

Card seems strong, I'm gonna give it a shot because it plays into my themes, but it might just make the cut regardless.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Amass Orcs stacks with Amass Zombies (which all WAR cards will be errata’d to)! Your army will get both creature types regardless of the order you amass each creature type in. I fear we’ll have to make those Zombie Orc Army tokens ourselves though, as I don’t see WotC mixing them up in this set’s Commander decks!

Mono-Green Galadriel is probably going to end up enjoying some capitalism (cube). I also really hope Council's Deliberation is part of a cycle.

frodobaggins.jpg

I will say, as much as I'm not a huge fan of Legendary Tribal... I do appreciate that Frodo's art makes him look like just some middle-aged guy.