Card/Deck [M14] Elvish Mystic

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Now, that's just mean.

So, how many mana elves does a 360 list need?

Go!

If you're going to make an off-topic (read: productive) remark, please make a new thread. :p

This thread is only for discussion of which of the three listed mana elves to run, provided you have to run exactly one. Flavor battle commence.

CML

Contributor
Screen_Shot_2013_06_19_at_1_13_22_PM.png

Sorry, back on topic.

There are seventeen editions of Llanowar Elves. Seventeen! And 16 of the 17 are actually "Llanowar Elf" (or even "Severed Llanowar Elf Head.") If anyone plays anything other than 7th edition, they should have their cubes taken away from them for flavor violations.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, back on topic.

There are seventeen editions of Llanowar Elves. Seventeen! And 16 of the 17 are actually "Llanowar Elf" (or even "Severed Llanowar Elf Head.") If anyone plays anything other than 7th edition, they should have their cubes taken away from them for flavor violations.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Alpha to 6th:
1178.jpg

Do you see "elves" here? DO YOU?

THE GLORIOUS 7TH:
2975.jpg

Elves! Plural! Dammit! They were so awesome when they're correctly plural that they WERE BANNED FROM 8TH EDITION FOR BEING TOO AWESOME! (That has to be the reason, right?)

DESPITE THE FIRST DUDE WEARING A BATTLE TIARA!

9th to now:
12720.jpg

One elf! And they forgot to paint a background! Bah...

That sounds like an exceptionally gripping rendition of the Weather Channel.

I run Fyndhorn and an m12 Llanowar because all my Revised Llanowar are in terrible casual decks. I own like two packs' worth of 7th edition =(

From a strictly power level standpoint, I can't justify running Elvish Mystic. It's only one elf! Llanowar Elves and Fyndhorn Elves are both elves! Two elves for one mana! Ambiguity!

From a flavor standpoint, Llanowar is a place where you'll have a bajillion broken bones. The guys from there? I don't want to piss them off, they'll be on my team. Fyndhorn looks like a great place to get shanked. The guys from there? I don't want to piss them off, they'll be on my team. Elvish Mystic, the "new mana elf" is led by Nissa, the Elf Planeswalker who ... can't produce mana. Yeah, we know who's getting picked last for the dodgeball team at Elf summer camp. If only Elvish Mystic had just followed Garruk, it would probably be a strictly-better mashup of Arbor Elf and Ulvenwald Tracker. Alas.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I mean, Llanowar and Fyndhorn Elves do trigger Blood Artist twice each (depending on the art, of course).

I'm aware that I'm new to the forum and that I have no credibility backing anything I'm about to say.

MTGS is cancerous. And I really mean that in the sense that a functionally good idea is denied the opportunity to reproduce as it is smothered by an environment of mutant thoughts vying for attention. Thank you Waddell and your fellow authors for contributing to this site where I've received more useful information in a couple weeks than in the years of browsing MTGS. And I know you can't outright post an article ripping on the place lest it draw unwanted attention to this bastion of reason.

But about the topic at hand. In parallel to what Peter Angell said, I am wholly in support of elves that solve their problems by breaking limbs and that any elves associated with Nissa should be put under the most rigorous scrutiny. About Nissa's Chosen, "Nissa will save the elves, but only the ones who have proved their worth" - that sounds like some candy-ass pacifist talk; in Llanowar, you prove yourself when you break the legs of your neighbor as he stepped on your lawn to break your legs because he didn't like how you trimmed the hedges that morning. I bet in Zendikar, Nissa's home, that they waste perfectly good forest to make crutches for people with shattered legs.

If there's any further reason to use your precious manas to summon the inhabitants of Llanowar it's this.
Llanowar Dead
They get even tougher when dead. They'll shuffle themselves out of your graveyard so they don't stink up the place and murder some intruders on their way out and I'm certain they won't be bothered by a couple of broken bones themselves.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The great thing about this place is that you don't need credibility to justify or back up anything. Ideas are the only currency.

Thanks for posting, and welcome to our forum!

CML

Contributor
'mystic' for me conjures up the not-so-great state of connecticut. if i may put on my Humbert Humbert literary caper cap right now, it's got to be some kind of elaborate pun, kind of like how LLANOwar suggests, paradoxically, a plains (dutch and flemish spelling: jan-o'-war) -- and yet avacyn's pilgrim only taps for white. (birds of paradise lost? thomas more's utopia tree? noble heresiarchs of bant, argentina, and uqbar?)

i'm pretty sure arbor elf is a joke about hippies not working, since that guy taps for mana more rarely than i collect an unemployment check.

CML

Contributor
haha nope. i wandered of my own accord into that cesspit-inferno past she-wolf and them bees in limbo

MTGS is the essence of scrubbiness. the entire point of that forum is to pretend that you're beyond the scope of criticism -- see also: game-store power nerds; EDH

Can you explain what you meant by the link replacement.

I have to say I think CML's posts are some of the most enjoyable ones on the board so far for me. Even when they aren't being particularly insightful there is something great about the way he's trying to impart his feelings or experience of thing to you.

I haven't looked at the mystic thread since I complained there about green only doing one thing in most salvation cubes these days. I can imagine mystic will be a great addition to modern cubes though.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Can you explain what you meant by the link replacement.

I have to say I think CML's posts are some of the most enjoyable ones on the board so far for me. Even when they aren't being particularly insightful there is something great about the way he's trying to impart his feelings or experience of thing to you.

I haven't looked at the mystic thread since I complained there about green only doing one thing in most salvation cubes these days. I can imagine mystic will be a great addition to modern cubes though.

Click on the links in the article. Joke ruined. Thanks Lucas.