Sets [M20] Core Set 2020

A week and another monday.
And it looks like every day will be super full of sources for spoilers. Monday it will start with 35 or so sites/persons revealing new cards.

Core 19 was actually a pretty good set for us with it's life gain theme. I have some hopes this will fit my themes better than MH, even though it won't be so cool as a set for sure.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
D9QFurTU4AAbt7P.jpg

Seb McKinnon! :D This is a pretty insane card o_O What do you do if you're the opponent? Search your best card? Or do you live in fear of the mill?

So here is a lifegain enabler and reward in one:

r7zv3av4sx431.jpg

I like that the tokens have the real names.

I am very tempted to put this into my cube since I run a Jeskai prowess/spell matters theme:

80.png

It seems a little weak. What do you guys think?

Some nice cards spoiled today:

yfxvqm77hx431.jpg

This is a super sweet card for WB aggressive decks. Gives you the reach you need with each ETB emulating an Impact Tremors, has a relevant creature type in Zombie for Gravecrawler shenanigans, and a 2/2 for 2 is a respectable body. I like this as a signpost gold card.

ajanistrengthofthepride.jpg

For anyone running any lifegain type strategies, this seems pretty tame. Makes bodies, makes them bigger, and has a weird ultimate that plays right into the archetype as well. Cool card.

cavalierofflame.jpg

This one is a bit of a mess, but kind of cool. I like that it can feed into a GR lands type deck by pitching your fodder to the grave, lets you turbo out an Ore-Scale Guardian, and the body is really good. The only problem is triple R casting cost and how Red 5s are pretty crowded. Still, if you want something a little different and want to push fewer colors in decks, this seems fun.

dreadpresence.jpg

This is pretty cool but again, it's in a semi-crowded spot on the curve. Black 4s are pretty good, but this is a viable option for lower powered cubes. Live the dream with an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and fetches. There's some cool bleed here into a W/B Lifegain matters archetype as well.

kykarwindsfury.jpg

I'm all about this weird Jeskai bird. It pulls double duty in spellslinger and artifact decks, makes bodies, and it has a weird ritual like ability? This actually plays well with things like Spectral Procession and Lingering Souls as well. Super weird, but I'm down to give it a try.

Some nice cards spoiled today:

yfxvqm77hx431.jpg

This is a super sweet card for WB aggressive decks. Gives you the reach you need with each ETB emulating an Impact Tremors, has a relevant creature type in Zombie for Gravecrawler shenanigans, and a 2/2 for 2 is a respectable body. I like this as a signpost gold card.

I love this guy. WB has traditionally been aggressive in my cube builds and this has two relevant creature types for those colors.

cavalierofflame.jpg

This one is a bit of a mess, but kind of cool. I like that it can feed into a GR lands type deck by pitching your fodder to the grave, lets you turbo out an Ore-Scale Guardian, and the body is really good. The only problem is triple R casting cost and how Red 5s are pretty crowded. Still, if you want something a little different and want to push fewer colors in decks, this seems fun.

That is a lot of words that do a lot of stuff that I'm interested in. Discard value, lands in graveyards matter, pretty nice mana sink. I just worry that it's a little too clunky. I'll keep my eye on it for sure.

dreadpresence.jpg

This is pretty cool but again, it's in a semi-crowded spot on the curve. Black 4s are pretty good, but this is a viable option for lower powered cubes. Live the dream with an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and fetches. There's some cool bleed here into a W/B Lifegain matters archetype as well.

Yes, black 4's are stacked, but most of them cost 2BB. The options for 3B are surprisingly slim. I'm not convinced that this gets there, but it's worth watching for sure.
kykarwindsfury.jpg

I'm all about this weird Jeskai bird. It pulls double duty in spellslinger and artifact decks, makes bodies, and it has a weird ritual like ability? This actually plays well with things like Spectral Procession and Lingering Souls as well. Super weird, but I'm down to give it a try.

Eh, if I'm going to run a URW card, it's 100% of the time going to be Jeskai Ascendancy.

Ok, I have some opinions on this set, but I’m away so I can’t post pictures as usual.

First, none of the walkers in this set are new, and the only one hasn’t had a Real* card before. Mu Yanling is getting a new card! Vivien is back for the 3rd time in a year. I think she kind of sucks as a character and is massively overdone. She doesn't really seem to serve a narrative purpose, either.

This set is going to have a 3-Color ”Wedge” theme in limited. The archetypes are: Jeskai Fliers, Temur Elememtals, Sultai ETB control, Abzan go-Wide, and Mardu Aggro. The central theme of each wedge will be marked by the allied gold cards, while the enemy color golds can go into either wedge it can be played in.

Cavalier of Flame seems like WOTC continuing to dip their toes into Loam-Esque strategies. I like the card, although I'm not convinced the Power Level is correct...

Kykar seems kind of cool, he may fit into my list.

Over All, Core 2020 seems very Trite. It seems like they're trying to make the limited environment to be better, which was one of the weakest parts of it’s predecessor. Unfortunately, simply adding wedges and a weird tribal deck to the equation does not change the fact that core sets in their current form are just boring. Give it a couple years and I think that WOTC will be changing their core formula again.

*Yes she had a card in Chinese planeswalker decks, but I consider those cards to be about as real as the way the Chinese CCP government views the Republic of China (Taiwan)

Cavalier is interesting. I could replace Kiki-Jiki, which is super duper niche in my cube, to help wildfire, loam, graveyard nonsense, tokens even. Not sure the power level is there but maybe.

Kykar has really cool rules text but wow 3 toughness on a grindy 4 drop is not good. I want this to be a 1/5 like Murmuring Mystic so it sticks more.

I agree that Kykar's statline is subpar (I'd even rather have a 1/4), but it's still the first M20 card I'm happy about. It supports both a grindy token strategy and powering out a big bomb or storm turn. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

ravenoushydra.jpg

"Fight Night-dra" {X}{G}{G}
Creature — Hydra
Trample
"Fight Night-dra" enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When "Fight Night-dra" enters the battlefield, choose one —
• Double the number of +1/+1 counters on "Fight Night-dra".
• "Fight Night-dra" fights target creature you don't control.
0/1

This is cool. I've been looking for a replacement for Polukranos because he's the only monstrous creature I've got going on and I like to try to eliminate low instance keywords to try to not overload on complexity.

I love that in English we normally use italic letters in such a sentence (walked) but because all of the flavor text is italic already Wizards had to use normal letters on that 'walked' :p

I think I like this guy a lot as a token signpost. the mana sink is pretty expensive here, but there will be times, where you have nothing better to do with 5 mana. Itself I like much more from the body than stuff like Wayfaring Temple, because being a 1/5 or 2/5 early on instead of a 1/1 or 2/2 is much more important than eventual toughness over 5 later.

Unknown.jpg