Sets [M20] Core Set 2020

floodoftears.jpg

Wow!! What a card?? It's like a non-land upheaval but with a built-in combo?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
We now have an upgraded Muscle Burst (Except there is no Diligent Farmhand to boost it.)

View attachment 2528

Did some of you guys ever continue on that kind of design in the custom section?

It's a thing one could do and we totally have the technology for and nobody had any good ideas :p

Spells that scale aren't really that forein to magic anymore. (Kindle, back in the day was kinda groundbreaking)
If you're going to make something that gets better as the game goes on, why not tie it into one of your themes (Galvanic Blast, or Become Immense for eg) rather than make something neutral that also takes up 4+ slots in your cube?

It's a thing one could do and we totally have the technology for and nobody had any good ideas :p

Spells that scale aren't really that forein to magic anymore. (Kindle, back in the day was kinda groundbreaking)
If you're going to make something that gets better as the game goes on, why not tie it into one of your themes (Galvanic Blast, or Become Immense for eg) rather than make something neutral that also takes up 4+ slots in your cube?

This is an excellent point!

I think you have maybe also turned me off Growth-Chamber Guardian with that argument. Not exactly the same but I think unless I run a counters theme, it could translate to this kind of effect as well.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This is an excellent point!

I think you have maybe also turned me off Growth-Chamber Guardian with that argument. Not exactly the same but I think unless I run a counters theme, it could translate to this kind of effect as well.

Zoidberg is good because it switches up what it does when you get multiples. The first one is a sidegrade Beastbreaker of Bala-Ged, but once you get 2 they start drawing you cards, which is a different angle.
Growth Cycle is the same pump spell, but bigger.

Also FWIW, I do run 4 growth chamber guardians, and even the first one is a solid addition to a deck, even a non-counters deck.
barkhidetroll.jpg

This is a neat design, speaking of counters 2 drops :p

hangedexecutioner.jpg

This is also pretty sweet. A bit below the curve, but tokens are easy to support and a removal spell is a relevant upside

also, not for cube but for standard:
unchainedberserker.jpg

Can't wait to play with red adanto vanguard here :p

ravenoushydra.jpg

"Fight Night-dra" {X}{G}{G}
Creature — Hydra
Trample
"Fight Night-dra" enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When "Fight Night-dra" enters the battlefield, choose one —
• Double the number of +1/+1 counters on "Fight Night-dra".
• "Fight Night-dra" fights target creature you don't control.
0/1

This is cool. I've been looking for a replacement for Polukranos because he's the only monstrous creature I've got going on and I like to try to eliminate low instance keywords to try to not overload on complexity.

I do really like this card, but it totally exemplifies how bad mono-green is. Why? Because I think this is the best 4 drop in green. Why the heck did it take this long to get a semi-vanilla 4 mana 4/5 with trample? The closest card in power and toughness is Peema Outrider and other niche green tramplers.
People praise Goreclaw and Beast Whisperer, but I think this card beats both of them by dealing with the most annoying cards for green by also possibly being a
FUCKING

(That will also possibly survive as 2/3)
So yeah, this card is great, and it scales great too.

I'm more burnt out trying to theorycraft things into my cube. I literally haven't had the chance to play with WAR cards yet and by the time I actually do run a draft, I'll have another two sets to work in. It's really difficult to figure out slots and make synergies work when presented with so many different options bunched together over a short period of time. I love seeing spoilers because it gets the gears turning, but this is just so much at once honestly.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
also I know lots of people are feeling burnout with back-to-back-to-back spoiler seasons but I just really like looking at new cards so I like it for now

Looking over the Magic Set Editor Modern stuff I'm relining that muscle right now :p
This is looking neat. The core sets always have a few cool includes, and there's some weird stuff in this one among the stuff we don't care about:
captivatinggyre.jpg

That's an insane limited card.

pacifism1.jpg

and we have pacifism back. Big difference between this and luminous bonds in limited.

repeatedreverberation.jpg

There's a lot of words here, but it copies instants, sorceries and loyalty abilities (!) you do this turn TWICE.
I know 4 mana is a lot, but tripling up on even a cheap spell might be worth it, and copying planeswalker activations is a new angle we've never really had on a card that wasn't incredibly narrow.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I've had Rings in a few lists before but never saw it in action. Is it that narrow? You need your format to be at the point where you can pay 3 for a slow value engine, but even just doubling a fetchland so you have the mana to double your Clue activation or w/e is a great start, and there are lots of cards it's bonkers with

Flood of Tears is really neat. I love Crush of Tentacles and that may still be better but it feels like Baral's Expertise done right

I am quite disappointed to see this. Really reduces the interesting real estate, because its doubtful I will like or find use for any of these sorts of cards...

I run a cube that's color-slanted in favor of black right now, so the white one of this cycle is a windmill slam for me :p

We now have an upgraded Muscle Burst (Except there is no Diligent Farmhand to boost it.)

View attachment 2528

Did some of you guys ever continue on that kind of design in the custom section?

I've been considering buying 10-15 of these collection cards recently and tossing them in over similar cards. Like, maybe a lot of your burn is bombardments now or all your soft black removal is feast of fleshes. Would cost like $1 to mix it up.

I'm more burnt out trying to theorycraft things into my cube. I literally haven't had the chance to play with WAR cards yet and by the time I actually do run a draft, I'll have another two sets to work in. It's really difficult to figure out slots and make synergies work when presented with so many different options bunched together over a short period of time. I love seeing spoilers because it gets the gears turning, but this is just so much at once honestly.

I was thinking about ordering some of the last two sets this week, but forget it, I can wait for the third set.

See some distaste for Core sets here, but I personally love how they bring a lot of really straightforward designs.

Yes I also like the simple, clean designes and sometimes more powerful 'nuts and bolts'-cards. That said, 2020 does not feel like a core set to me so far. Lots of legends, 3-colored cards, colored artifacts, really complicated cards with huge walls of text ... Ixalan felt more core set I'd say.

masterfulreplication.jpg

Masterful Replication
5U
Instant
Choose one -
-Create two 3/3 colorless artifact golem creature tokens
-Choose target an artifact you control. Other artifacts you control become a copy of that artifact until end of turn.

Nice fun card for soft artifact themes, as well as that golem tribal deck :) Liking some of these spoilers today! Feels a little better than the hexproofers and some of the reprints.