Sets [M20] Core Set 2020

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
636966379561116177.jpg

Awwwwwwwwww! <3

I'm hyped for Elf of the Reliquary. Aggressive bodies with a mana sink are my jam. This set is also making me want to revisit the vampire theme I gave up on so long ago... That's probably for a lower powered cube than what I currently have going on. Now that I think about it, a lower powered cube using the planeswalkers that focus on tribal elements (Zombie Liliana, 3 mana Sarkhan, 3 mana Sorin) seems like it could be very cool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Bleh at all the protection creatures spoiled today :\ They even desecrated a dinosaur with pro blue... way to go to sabotage my hopes for the dinosaur subtheme in my cube WotC :(

Chris Taylor

Contributor
A lot of image links are broken for me so if someone;s already mentioned this:
vampireofthediremoon.jpg

Thats a good baseline creature and a source of lifegain.

cavalierofnight.jpg

A lot here I like

agentoftreachery1.jpg

I think this is the first ETB option for this effect isn't there? Dragonlord Silumgar is kinda like it.

immolationmask.jpg

1R
Artifact - Equipment
When Immolation Mask enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token, then attach Immolation Mask to it.
Equipped creature has "Sacrifice this creature: it deals 1 damage to any target."
Equip 2

Mortarpod was always kinda close for me. A better initial body but no toughness pump could be interesting.

Quoting myself. Cutting the unimportant part. Bolding the important part.

bla. bla. bla. bla.. You can either choose to only run the interesting utility lands at your power band or choose to add more non-basic land disruption or cards that disrupt lands that have activated abilities that doesn't add mana. Bla. bla. bla. bla.

I'm not worried, I did run them in the past, in a separate Utility Land Draft. At one point, I decided I wanted to streamline the draft again. I didn't feel the separate ULD was worth it. I then made a conscious decision to not include utility lands in my main cube, because a) they take up a lot of space, and b) more importantly, I feel that, if you include utility lands, you also need to provide players with the tools to combat those lands, i.e. you need to run land destruction. The problem is that I run a heavy multicolor theme in my cube, and land destruction heavily disincentivizes running multiple colors. In other words, the consequences of running utility lands runs counter to a backbone theme of my cube. There was only one possible conclusion for me there, honestly; to not run utility lands.

You missed the part about disruption of lands with activated abilities that doesn't add mana. This won't affect your lands that produce mana colors to help support a multicolored cube.

Cards like Blood Sun

Or
Harsh Mentor
Immolation Shaman
Ravager Wurm
Runic Armasaur
Tsabo's Web

Is this useful to you?
It is just a suggestion :D <3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Quoting myself. Cutting the unimportant part. Bolding the important part.

You missed the part about disruption of lands with activated abilities that doesn't add mana. This won't affect your lands that produce mana colors to help support a multicolored cube.

Cards like Blood Sun

Or
Harsh Mentor
Immolation Shaman
Ravager Wurm
Runic Armasaur
Tsabo's Web

Is this useful to you?
It is just a suggestion :D <3
The problem is that you then have a set of answers that are varying degrees of narrow, if they even are answers. Harsh Mentor, for example, punishes the use of utility lands, but doesn't prevent the opponent from using them. I need to make space for those narrow answers, but even cutting cards from my cube to make room for the cards they are meant to answer, i.e. the utility lands, is going to be a monumental task. Cutting the utility lands altogether means I get to have a lot more room for card types that fit naturally into my cube, for which answers are already in place. I know wan the utility lands bring, as I have ran them in the past, like I said, and I just don't think they add enough for the room they and their answers take up.

A lot of image links are broken for me so if someone;s already mentioned this:
cavalierofnight.jpg

A lot here I like

I really dig this one. Increasing the # of pips in the CC of cards is one of the ways to nudge drafters towards fewer colors and I've been slowly working towards that over the years. This is a great top-end card for Aristocrats, Tokens, and has some cool play to it. Not just a generic ETB kill something, doubles as a one-shot sac outlet which is cool. Seems like a cool card to stabilize with in grindy decks too, I really like the design of this. The cycle so far kind of reminds me of Gearhulks with how solid they've been.

Steel Overseer is getting a reprint. I wish they would have reprinted more old cards that need a price reduction instead of some of the weird new color hate stuff, but beggars can’t be choosers. I’m looking forward to a $5 overseer!!

This doesn’t change my opinion on the set, but it makes me dislike it less.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
treasurechest.jpg

Treasure Chest {4}
Artifact
{1}, {T} Choose a card name, then reveal the top card of your library. If this card has the chosen name, sacrifice Treasure Chest and draw three cards. Activate this ability only when you could play a sorcery.

Top of library matters theme? :D

vilisbrokerofblood1.jpg

That's one hell of a passive. I kinda love it :D

kaaliazenithseeker.jpg

Cute.

Didn't see her mentioned. Maybe I missed it. Pretty cool design if you run 3c stuff. It's a little scary to ETB multi-draw on a well-statted 3 drop, but I might give her a go. Potentially removing 2 of the 3 creature types entirely to make her a tribal +1. Current cube is black-slanted, so I might just run demons.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I actually like the 2 uncommons that got spoiled on the mothership today!

B2303ED2-7448-433E-A1A9-5FCA1B1B1BAF.png
This is a great 3 drop! Relevant creature type(s), immediate impact, superb on defense, great on offense too. I'm thinking this will make the cut in my cube...

512ADDDA-2463-4B52-B071-686B1DB76416.png
This is a weird mashup between Zombify and Momentary Blink. The card doesn't target, so you can actually get back what you sacrificed, making this a funny tool to get out from under Pacifism effects. Of course, late game turning a chump blocker into two big threats is grrrreat too!