Card/Deck [MCD] Equipment

I am very curious about the idea of making a green or green favored equipment. If anyone has any ideas about that I'd love to hear them.
The more I think about it though, O-Naginata and Loxodon Warhammer might embody that idea in the wrongest ways possible.

I keep coming back to this card and wishing it were better:
132.jpg

What creature abilities are pretty green anyway?
I like equipment that feel like they lend inevitability and make elves and value guys better.

I am very curious about the idea of making a green or green favored equipment. If anyone has any ideas about that I'd love to hear them.
The more I think about it though, O-Naginata and Loxodon Warhammer might embody that idea in the wrongest ways possible.

I keep coming back to this card and wishing it were better:
132.jpg

What creature abilities are pretty green anyway?
I like equipment that feel like they lend inevitability and make elves and value guys better.
Behemoth Sledge seems like the perfect fit for what you are describing.

I like that card a little bit less than I like loxodon warhammer and loxodon warhammer feels like a real longshot to be accomplishing the things I would want from a green equipment. Like aren't you going to be mainly be seeing warhammer in decks with green anyway?

I'd be much more curious about something that emphasized green's eminence when it comes to pump and enchantment buffs but puts them in the more useful format or equipment. Like green gets to be the best at the awkward mediocre long shot and everyone gets access to the busted equipment that feels like way less of a liability while having more impact than the enchantments and giant growths of this world? It doesn't seem fair.

I was hoping for something you could play and equip for 3, so you could immediately begin feeling like your elves and witnesses were real exciting cards. Like I feel like pushed pump is justified and elf help is justified.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
All of the Swords were really great in green, actually. They were a smidgen too expensive for your typical white or red aggro decks to have time to use them effectively, but the more midrangy green decks with lots of spare bodies always had room for a Sword or two.

Too bad about that dual protection, though.

Yeah and the fact they are easily thrown into most midranged or control decks with a reasonable creature count. It's such a UW goodstuff deck card, or a goodstuff deck card in general.

Yeah Jitte and Swords made things like wood elves hyper playable in constructed. You could really lean on your value guys in standard formats where they were legal. I don't like how linear elf ramping feels a lot of the time and how often green creatures in cube have an ability that is most attractive to nongreen decks and a body that cannot hold it's own in combat. Drawing an elf feels like drawing a land quite often in cubes that push ramp and forsake equipment, like this card is just here to get me to my Avenger of Zendikar, and god help me if someone interacts with it or wraths me after my avenger lol.

I co-designed a lot of weird cards with a friend a long time ago and "equipment for typical ramp decks" came up. I don't remember what we settled on but there was something based on lands and something that let you +x/+0 the equipped creature(which turned out to exist). I think the one I liked the most was +x/+x, where x was some number minus the equipped creature's power; so it was great on dorks and crap on fat.

I like pineapple's spirit, I'd love to see those cards you designed. I'm glad other people have been thinking along the same lines.
I thought of this in the card creator area.

Beast Mask
{1}{G}
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature is a 4/4 beast and gains trample.
Equip {G}

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Any current thoughts on equipment? What are people running? Anybody running multiples? Anything particularly bad?

And I'm curious about these two:

I know some people run goblin welder. Do you use equipment to up your artifact count?

I just run the classics. Do wanna try out skeleton key though, looks like a fun card (diy looter il-kor).

This has to be really good in an aggressive artifact matters deck right?

Any current thoughts on equipment? What are people running? Anybody running multiples? Anything particularly bad?

And I'm curious about these two:

I know some people run goblin welder. Do you use equipment to up your artifact count?

Whoa, this thread was so old I was even notified for being a part of the discussion. (And I probably even ran Mask of Memory at the time!)

Mask of Memory has always been a good solid card, and probably a high pick if you are running a much slower and grindier environment. If you support UB aggro/tempo/low-curve-evasion/whatever-you-call-it, it is probably better than Mask of Riddles.

I'm not a big fan of skulk, and I never seen Skeleton Key doing anything even in SOI limited. Depending on how much skulk would work in your environment, it is very likely that you are only playing it for the loot, and in that case, the Mask is miles, both for the card advantage and the lower equip cost.

As for the Goblin Welder, I think you can count Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots and other utility equipment. Maybe you can even count Batterskull, Tatsumasa, and Elbrus, since they can be your finishers. I don't think any Sword, Jitte, or other equipment has been played in conjunction with welder/tinker effects in my cubes.

I really like Bloodforged Battle-Axe, but I don't think I can make it work in my cube unless I have it equip for 1, but seems like a ton of fun in the RW deck people were talking about the other day. If I were running that archetype, I'd slap this in my cube 100%. Maybe I'll try it at some point instead of Bonesplitter and see how it goes on my cube as well.

And since we are bringing this thread back, I'll go back to the old discussion and say that, even if they are powerful, I don't feel any of the Swords of X and Y have kept their pomp and majesty, especially if you are playing on a low mana curve. Yes, they can make the game very lopsided if they are active for too long, but the cost in tempo is massive if you are playing it turn 3 and equipping turn 4, and they have a somewhat balanced aspect if they come down turn 5. In the past year, both in my cube and in other people's cubes, I've seen myself keeping swords out of my 40. Has anyone had similar experiences, or does everyone feel like they don't have a place in the average Riptide cube?

I've been running the Swords for a while with the protection errata'd off, and whilst they have gone down a bit in terms of desirability they're still very good cards. It just means you have to work a little bit to get the full benefit out of them. A curve of 2 drop, 3 drop, 4 drop, sword + equip on something with evasion is very powerful, and just having one sitting in play means every creature you draw is that much more of a threat. I'm a big fan.

Don't play Body and Mind though.

My equipment is on the clearly-below-swords-and-jitte-but-still-very-good power level.

A classic, very elegant and strong. The Lightning Bolt of Equipment.

Not quite as good, but still a very serviceable weapon.

A lot of synergy-potential with sacrifice/recursion and token strategies. Decent in any midrange deck.

Even better than it looks, great with evasion and helps filling the graveyard for such strategies.

Also much better than it looks. I've heard people banned this from pauper cube, and can confirm this card delivers hard hits.

It need only 2 spells in your 'yard to make this a good weapon, and for a spell-heavy deck, this is an awesome payoff.

First-pick material in my cube, hits incredibly hard for little mana. The drawback is neglible.

A bit clunky, but every hit feels good. Like a huge elephant-warhammer should. Also easily firstpickable in my meta.

This is a new addition, haven't seen it in action yet, but I hope for it to be Warhammer #2 with this laundry list of abilities.

A very strong dredge payoff, but decent in many different decks. My favorite equipment printed so far.

More included as a Wildfire-Finisher than as a real equipment, but has proven to be worth it in other decks too.

Some equipment that have been too weak for my taste:

Vulshok Battlegear Fireshrieker Leonin Scimitar

I feel like 11 equipment is a sweet spot to be at for 450 cards, especially when 2 of them can be creatures themselves.

More included as a Wildfire-Finisher than as a real equipment, but has proven to be worth it in other decks too.

I feel like 11 equipment is a sweet spot to be at for 450 cards, especially when 2 of them can be creatures themselves.

Man, is Plate Mail a card? Can you run it in like, a control deck? It feels like it would be incredibly clunky but also, it's also really cool and techy. I'm also tempted now to see if I can't make room for some more artifact creatures and some equipment to help aggro decks in my cube.

Yeah, totally. it depends on your power level obviously, but if you can animate it for free regularly, it is pretty good. It works well with sweepers, and in the late game, a +4/+4 bonus can turn a Spirit token into a game winner. The main reason I got interest in this card though, was that i was looking for another finisher, that works with Wildfire, Destructive Force AND Devastation.

And while I like Plate Mail, this thing, which isn't an equipment, does most jobs a little bit better:

Revisiting equipment since we got some new stuff, and because I want some more mana sinks in my cube.

Machete is an all-star in riptide cubes, and I really like it as well. It doesn't cost a lot, so it's a likely way to use otherwise unused mana.
Demonmail Hauberk is another sacrifice outlet, and it compares to Piston Sledge, which is a card I saw quite often here.
The axe is a discard outlet, but also only gives +2/+2. Not a fan.

The coloured ones I heavily consider. I like how Ancestral Blade is a 2/2 with when it dies, get a Short Sword. Looks really smooth, and good for aggro.
Mace of the Valiant needs yxou to put some creatures onto the battlefield, something White excels at. It's definitely worth the mana investment once you have played some creatures or token producers, and it also gives vigilance. The question here is, if your white section is too efficient at boosting this, as it can also get pretty unbeatable without artifact removal.
Last but not least, Behemoth Sledge. A perfect incentive to go GW, as it's a reaaally strong card. It remains to be seen if it hoses aggro too well, repeating lifelink + buff is no joke.

Am I missing on any other interesting, not overpowered equipment?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I really like Ancestral Blade in my (regular) cube! Of course there's historic shenanigans in my cube as well, so it has added value, but it's also an all around solid two drop that keeps being relevant.

My favorite two equipment cards in my cube are still:

Yep, I run two. It's the perfect aggro equipment. It's cheap to deploy, it's cheap to equip, and it does a good job at keeping your weenies relevant in the late game.

Edit: I took a quick look, and the single Ancestral Blade and double Bonesplitter are actually the only pieces of equipment I run nowadays.

This has seen decent play in my cube, and offers two mana sinks in the form of the equip and the creature draw effect.

Looks pretty damn strong to me, equip 1 for +3/+1 alone is very good, but also potentially burying your opponent under CA makes it look pretty busted to me.

The upfront cost and the fact that the new creature has to match the old creature's type help balance it out. I've found it to be quite fair, cube power level dependent of course.