Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Holy Gosh you guys WOTC made the wierdest card ever in this set:
unknown.png

So it's the first Enchantment Land, but it's a Saga, and has the Urza's subtype. This card might be good, although I beleive it takes a spell slot and not a land slot. The "sketch" version is cool, though!

unknown.png

The enemy fetchlands are getting a reprint here, and they will have these old border promo versions in addition to the extended art versions and normal frame versions! I'm very excited for these lands, as I need Misty Rainforest, Scalding Tarn, and Verdant Catacombs to finish my set of 10.

unknown.png

Sanctum Prelate, I think this one might only come with the old border.

unknown.png

Funny Rock go Brrrrrr.

unknown.png

How to sell a Magic set to cat people.

unknown.png

Counterspell in Modern! Woohoo!

And that's everything we saw today. Just a fair warning, the set has been pushed back a week due to CoVID, it will now be released on June 18th.

Artifacts! Brainstone could go in some cubes. Keep the utility artifacts coming! Give me a couple of generally useful 2 or 3 drop artifact creatures and I'll be pleased.

Urza's Confusing Design is simultaneously cool and horrific.

Brainstone would be a sweet card if it discarded. Artifact synergy, decent mid-tier draw spell, yard support. It's still alright.

So Diamond Lion is illegal during the Main Phase with an empty stack? Kind of weird and fun to deal with.

Urza's Saga looks like a lovely card. Untapped mana source, can make two fairly large tokens for 2 mana each (assuming your deck does the synergy, which in constructed it obviously will), and after it's all said and done you tutor up something fucked up? This card seems Vintage playable. Very exciting!

I agree, it looks rad as hell. I'm not sure how happy I am with a land that goes away after 3 turns, but at least this generates some extra value on the way out unlike Gemstone Mine.
when it's turoing me up shit like moxen, lotus, manifold key and other dumb shit in constructed vintage i think i dont really care a whole lot. My playgroup seems to think this has potential to be a shops staple as its even a reasonable grind piece to fetch off golos

when it's turoing me up shit like moxen, lotus, manifold key and other dumb shit in constructed vintage i think i dont really care a whole lot. My playgroup seems to think this has potential to be a shops staple as its even a reasonable grind piece to fetch off golos
Sure, I was talking about it in a cube context. In vintage it's obviously busted, but vintage is a weird format where the normal rules of card evaluation don't apply. I wonder how many eggs you have to run before it becomes worth it in a non-powered cube?

Sure, I was talking about it in a cube context. In vintage it's obviously busted,
You must be lost. This is the vintage card assessment forum.
I wonder how many eggs you have to run before it becomes worth it in a non-powered cube?
Maybe none. It's totally decent off the first two abilities if you don't fall asleep before you're done reading them. Which zero to one drop artifacts you can run is super dependent on power level, but there's a lot of options there. If you're potentially interested in the card, run a scryfall search and be ready to find more than eggs.

You look like you're at a power level where you could shift some things around to accommodate the card, a la dbs: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/artifacts-in-cube-yes-but-how.1968/#post-79873

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Urza's Saga looks like a lovely card. Untapped mana source, can make two fairly large tokens for 2 mana each (assuming your deck does the synergy, which in constructed it obviously will), and after it's all said and done you tutor up something fucked up? This card seems Vintage playable. Very exciting!
Urza's Saga seems predestined for a ban getting restricted in Vintage, doesn't it?

Last edited:
They chose Lyon as the artist for the Lion :swagg:

Nice cards though! I'm very happy for the old-bordered fetch lands, now we can have the entire set of 10 as old-bordered

Urza's Saga seems predestined for a ban getting restricted in Vintage, doesn't it?
I'm not convinced - the mana base of shops is already tight, with 4x Mishra's Workshop 4x Ancient Tomb 4x Wasteland 1x Strip Mine 1x Tolarian Academy and 8+ broken mana rocks, and then on top of that the strongest shops decks are using Golos, Tireless Pilgrim alongside a small handful of utility lands... It seems unlikely to me that the deck can get away with running so many of these that restricting it would have any impact even if Shops ends up being the top vintage deck.

Sure, I was talking about it in a cube context. In vintage it's obviously busted, but vintage is a weird format where the normal rules of card evaluation don't apply. I wonder how many eggs you have to run before it becomes worth it in a non-powered cube?

depends on a lot of factors like cube size, intended power level, etc. I'd probably want to reliably get around 9ish cheap artifacts at minimum for that kind of deck to have legs in a format around my cube's power level for example but my cube is on the high end of power level for riptidelab so can't really speak to those that exist at lower power bands.

My bad, I meant getting restricted.

I'm with @MinorBug here, I kinda doubt it gets restricted, the card is potentially playable but it's quite slow and competition in that format is extremely fierce.

However in Commander...

I think this is broken in Commander. Regular multiplayer Commander that is.

It is a land that taps 1 for colorless. After three turns it taps for 2 because you can fetch Sol Ring.
If you already have Sol Ring on the battlefield, you can search for Mana Crypt.
If you already have both, you are probably good to go and can fetch Jeweled Lotus, Skullclamp or Sensei's Divining Top or whatever.

Last edited:
I am 1000% including Urza's Saga in my main cube. I've been dying for more artifact and land intersections. I'm particularly excited for it in Gruul with land recursion and things like Goblin Welder and Tireless Tracker. It also is a bauble fetcher for my pet card Scrap Trawler. Gets your Stonecoil Serpent, Everflowing Chalice, Engineered Explosives, or Bonesplitter....this is just a great/fun card imo.

I'll probably also test Diamond Lion, it feels a lot more useful for my environment than Lion's Eye Diamond, and doesn't come with all of the associations that my cube isn't interested in supporting.

Reactions: dbs
However in Commander...

I think this is broken in Commander. Regular multiplayer Commander that is.
Let's not kid ourselves, any cheap interaction can be broken in commander ;). This particular card is really good because it can function as an addition copy of crypt/ring, though.

depends on a lot of factors like cube size, intended power level, etc. I'd probably want to reliably get around 9ish cheap artifacts at minimum for that kind of deck to have legs in a format around my cube's power level for example but my cube is on the high end of power level for riptidelab so can't really speak to those that exist at lower power bands.
I think 8-15 is probably the range one would be sufficient. I'm looking at the Penny-Pincher Cube 2.0 which had an "artifacts with mana value one or less" combo deck with Auriok Salvagers, and that cube ran 15 Urza's Saga targets. I don't think the saga needs quite as many targets as the salvagers since you only really need one thing for saga to tutor up to acquire full value, but I think it's a relatively good baseline to start with.

The big question I'm currently having isn't how many artifacts we should be running, but which artifacts we should be running. I'm not conviced Urza's Saga's power level is really that high if the best thing you can ever grab with it is Barbed Sextant. If you can get a broken card like Skullclamp, it's godly, but what riptide cube runs Skullclamp? Is the average target here going to be a Bonesplitter/Bloodforged Battle-axe? Is that worthwhile? What deck wants to be doing that?

In short, I'm thinking less about what threshold of cards I need to make sure someone can consistently find targets for Urza's Saga, but rather how can I best leverage this card? Is it even a card I'm going to want to run if I don't have a robust artifact deck outside of the prime targets for this?

I think theorycrafting optimal unpowered environments for Urza's Saga is going to be really fun, at least until previews start in full ;)