Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

MaRo did his little preview game, so now it's time for me to make some speculations!
MaRo said:
First up, here are some things you can expect:

• a legendary character best known for having his name on a powerful card (that’s been banned) finally gets a legendary creature

• a theme on only a handful of cards in Modern Horizons gets a larger presence

• a Frog twenty-six years in the making

• new split cards

• a Future Sight mechanic reused for first time

• a character that first appeared in a Magic novel finally becomes a legendary creature

• A card with the number words “four” and “fourteen”.

• a fan favorite animal character finally becomes a legendary creature

• a white enchantment with a trigger that investigates

• a planeswalker from the past that has previously only had a legendary creature card

Here are some snippets from rules text that appear in the set:

• “Whenever you cast your third spell each turn,”

• “for each other Ooze you control.”

• “If an ability of a <CENSORED> or another <CENSORED> you control triggers, that ability triggers an additional time.”

• “This ability costs 1 less to activate for each +1/+1 counter on creatures you control.”

• “you may sacrifice a Mountain rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.”

• “Trample over planeswalkers”

• “If an Insect card was milled this way,”

• “Protection from permanents with corruption counters on them”

• “choose a number between 1 and 5. Flip that many coins.”

• “instead create one of each.”

Here are some type lines from the set:

• Artifact Creature – Assembly-Worker

• Creature – Dinosaur Illusion

• Creature – Dauthi Rogue

• Creature – Skeleton Shaman

• Creature – Elemental Incarnation

• Artifact Creature – Clue Myr

• Tribal Artifact – Lhurgoyf

• Legendary Creature – Merfolk God

• Legendary Creature – Snake Elf Scout

• Legendary Creature – Squirrel Warrior

Finally, here are some of the mechanics in the set. (I replaced all the letters with x’s.)

• xxxx (4)

• xxxx (4)

• xxxxx (5)

• xxxxx (5)

• xxxxx (5)

• xxxxx (5)

• xxxxx (5)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxx (6)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxx (7)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxx (8)

• xxxxxxxxx (9)

• xxxxxxxxx (9)

• xxxx-xxxxx (9)

• xxxxxxxxx (9)

• xxxxxxxxx (9)

• xxxxxxxxx (9)

• xxxxxxxxx (9)

• xxxxxxxxxx (10)

• xxxxxxxxxx (10)

• xxxxxxxxxxx (11)

• xxxxxxxxxxx (11)

• xxxxxxxxxxx (11)

• xxxxxxxxxxx (11)

• xxxxxxxxxxx (11)

• xxxxxxxxxxxx (12)

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (15)

MaRo said:
• a legendary character best known for having his name on a powerful card (that’s been banned) finally gets a legendary creature
While it's possible that this is a really deep cut I am unaware of, I think a likely candidate is Tourach. Hymn to Tourach has been banned in pauper and is known for being a very powerful discard spell. Also, according to an almost-confirmed leak which predicted counterspell and sanctum prelate's return, Hymn to Tourach is going to be in Modern Horizons 2. Judging by the fact that this set will be leaning heavily into early 90s Magic nostalgia (as evidenced by Dakkon Blackblade being on the box), Tourach being in the set just makes sense.

MaRo said:
• a Future Sight mechanic reused for first time
There are a lot of mechanics this could be, with Absorb, Fateseal, Fortify, Frenzy, Granduer, Gravestorm, Poisonous, Aura Swap, Transfigure, and Nonbasic Typecycling all appearing for the first time in the set. I'm reasonably certain Typecycling is going to be in the set based on a later hint, but that's not really a true future sight mechanic. I think Fateseal might be a likely option to return because it is a simple mechanic. The reason why it hasn't returned in a main set is because it can lead to some feel-bad situations in standard and the like. However, Modern is a very spikey format for older players, so this isn't a terrible place for it to return. Perhaps we will get an Opt variant with Fateseal? WOTC might also do something wierd with a different keyword, but I don't know enough about this set yet to make a reasonable guess other than fateseal.

MaRo said:
• a planeswalker from the past that has previously only had a legendary creature card
This is Dakkon Blackblade, he's literally on the Modern Horizons 2 box.

MaRo said:
• a theme on only a handful of cards in Modern Horizons gets a larger presence
My guess here is that Changeling will be making a return. Although Changeling was the W/B draft archetytpe in the first Modern Horizons set, it only appeared on 11 cards, and mostly acted as glue to let WOTC print a bunch of random tribal payoffs without making them terrible in the draft environment. Horizons sets are a good place for WOTC to print tribal payoffs for Commander and other eternal formats without having to shove them into standard. I think there will be a pretty sizable changeling component in this set.

MaRo said:
• “you may sacrifice a Mountain rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.”
I think this card will be half of a Fireblast, or "{2}{R} Instant You may sacrifice a Mountain rather than pay this spell’s mana cost ~ Deals 2 damage to any target." MH2 was being designed in the middle of the Uro-Pocalypse, when all Aggro decks were slighty weaker becauseUro, Titan of Nature's Wrath was still in the format. Modern Horizons 2 would have finished development and been off to the printers before Uro was banned, so I think we will probably see some aggro cards which are a little too pushed to have seen print outside of an Uro World. Half of a Fireblast isn't really that good when the opponent is gaining 3 life off of their Growth Spiral variant.

MaRo said:
• Artifact Creature – Clue Myr
• Tribal Artifact – Lhurgoyf
• Legendary Creature – Merfolk God
I don't know what these are I just think it's awesome that we are getting cards with these type lines.

MaRo said:
• Legendary Creature – Squirrel Warrior

Finally, here are some of the mechanics in the set. (I replaced all the letters with x’s.)
• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (15)
Did you know that "Squirrelcycling" has 15 letters? And that we're getting a Legendary Squirrel in this set? And that Changeling is likely to make a return? While I'm not saying we're getting a legendary Squirrel with Squirrelcycling in this set, we're probably getting a Squirrelcycling card. I don't know of any other mechanic with a 15 character name, and Squirrelcycling seems like a very silly thing the #WOTCStaff might try to put into a supplemental set like Modern Horizons 2. So, I think that mechanic "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" is "Squirrelcycling."

So, what do you all think of my predictions? How close do you think these are to being correct?

Thanks,
-GT

That was a great write up train, thanks! I'd be down for some transfigure as the returning mechanic, they could do some cool stuff with that. Investigate hype!

I wonder what the larger theme is, that appeared only on a handful of cards in MH1. Maybe it's splice?

I also still wonder which cards will get the old school frame treatment. I hope the selection isn't just "the artifacts".

Dom Harvey

Contributor
angeloftheruins.jpg

friendship ended with Eternal Dragon

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH ANGEL OF THE RUINS

1621558376962.png

flametongueyearling.jpg

Is basically:
Chad Mountie.png
But not broken.

I'm very much looking forward to adding Flametongue Yearling to my cube. Chad Mountie always performed very well when using it's ability to hit creatures. It's a very desirable effect for quicker environments, and I am so happy to have a scalable mini FTK.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The Limited archetypes make me really excited:

GW: +1/+1 Counters
UW: Artifact Skies (Discounts on big fliers?)
RG: Storm
BR: Madness Aggro
UB: Self-Discard Payoffs?

BW: Reanimator
RW: Artifact Aggro (Modular)
UG: Different types of Tokens Matter?? I'm guessing Clues.
BG: Tokens / Sacrifice-for-value
UR: Delirium

I'd gladly take pushed cards for any/all of these

A few thoughts

I was pretty cold on Modern Horizons 1 but I am starting to warm up to the whole branch.

This set is dripping with flavor. The blue art on the eternalize token from the mono white card Timeless Dragon because lazotep makes the creature blue. Also Cabal Coffers which is key to the whole Urza, Karn, Memnarch, Mirrodin and New Phyrexia saga.

Also note that the old border dragon has the tombstone symbol in the upper left.

A little weird they break color pie on Dakkon, Shadow Slayer. They know it, they announce it but they still break because they want the card to be true to its original version.

Weird they make the new Flametongue also have the 20 years outdated ‘You have to shoot yourself if no other creature is on the battlefield.’

Very cool to see a comeback to storm, eternalize, evoke, affinity, surveil, suspend. Not cool with islandwalk :p

Awesome they have decided to put a watermark on some of the cards with their original set logo!

Last edited:
The Limited archetypes make me really excited:

GW: +1/+1 Counters
UW: Artifact Skies (Discounts on big fliers?)
RG: Storm
BR: Madness Aggro
UB: Self-Discard Payoffs?

BW: Reanimator
RW: Artifact Aggro (Modular)
UG: Different types of Tokens Matter?? I'm guessing Clues.
BG: Tokens / Sacrifice-for-value
UR: Delirium

I'd gladly take pushed cards for any/all of these

Are they confirmed by any means or are you just anticipating these from the reveals? I'd be down with these, however.

They are confirmed.

Except for the UG. That was a little blurry. They had a hard time explaining what the archetype attached to blue-green was. They mentioned it had a lot of different tokens.