Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Don't know if you actually want to do that for some of these as it puts the card into play, not into your hand. I misread it on first glance too.

Crap. Trying to work and forum is a dangerous combo, kids.

That's substantially less good for my uses.

Well, it still technically fetches Stonecoil/Hangarback/Ballista, they are just dead on arrival (barring something like an anthem or renata in play). Explosives can still hit tokens when fetched with Saga...unless I missed a ruling update....but yeah I misread

Well, it still technically fetches Stonecoil/Hangarback/Ballista, they are just dead on arrival (barring something like an anthem or renata in play). Explosives can still hit tokens when fetched with Saga...unless I missed a ruling update....but yeah I misread
Actually, it doesn't because those cards have the mana costs {X} and {X}{X} respectively. Urza's Saga can only grab cards with Mana Cost {0} or {1}, not Mana Value 0 or 1.

Basically, it can grab:

But not:

No. That's why I said it didn't get those cards :) It only gets cards with cost 0 or 1.
Not mana value 0 or 1.

So there was a "leak" of some Modern Horizons 2 cards and cycles earlier this month, and it has basically been confirmed at this point since several of the preditictions were confirmed during the day 1 preview show. I'll put them in a spoiler here:
Reprints being introduced to Modern:
Counterspell
Shardless Agent
Sanctum Prelate(also Bab promo)
Solitary Confinement

New cards:
A planeswalker that's also a 1/1 insect in every zone except the battlefield that you can fetch with Green Sun's Zenith and Chord of Calling.

A cycle of Evoke elementals like Shriekmaw with Force of Negation style Evoke costs (exile a card for alternate cost).

A new suspend cycle like Restore Balance.

Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar with no mana cost but a Madness cost.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Velrun and Train are correct. I feel like a lot of people are going to miss that. I think this is an unforeseen and unfortunate side effect of renaming 'converted mana cost' to 'mana value'. It's now less distinguishable from 'mana cost', despite sharing less words...

In short, I'm thinking less about what threshold of cards I need to make sure someone can consistently find targets for Urza's Saga, but rather how can I best leverage this card? Is it even a card I'm going to want to run if I don't have a robust artifact deck outside of the prime targets for this?
My suspicion is that it might fit best at a power level that can afford to swap out some more typical options for things like Voyagers' Staff and Wayfarer's Bauble. Once you can make those swaps, the options at {1} really increase.

Actually, it doesn't because those cards have the mana costs {X} and {X}{X} respectively. Urza's Saga can only grab cards with Mana Cost {0}or {1}, not Mana Value 0 or 1.
These sorts of confusions wouldn't happen if WotC gave the people what they wanted and printed only textless cards.
Joking aside, this is stupid awkward wording for the card. I'll still test it in the same environments and decks as before, but it's bleh.

Wow....that seems needlessly confusing, and now I'm significantly less enthusiastic about Saga.
Joking aside, this is stupid awkward wording for the card. I'll still test it in the same environments and decks as before, but it's bleh.
The wording seems like they made a complicated card and then they asked "how can we make it more complicated?"
The wording appears to have been phrased that way to prevent people from getting Lotus Blooms and Mox Tantalites for free in Modern. The complication is supposed to make it balanced.

I actually like the wording. It is new design space and that makes it super interesting.

The only reason why we dislike it is because we’re used to almost the same wording with a whole other meaning. And this can be confusing because people will sometimes miss what the card actually does.

Big thumbs up from Velrun. I hope they use this wording more often in the future.

View attachment 4007

I find it ironic that set ‘Modern Horizons 2’ includes the card frame that the format ‘Modern’ specifically was designed to not include: The pre-Modern card frame.
Well technically the format is only supposed to include cards that have been printed or reprinted since the Modern card frame was created. So like, if I had an alpha printing of Lightning Bolt, I could play it in my modern deck since it is modern legal regardless of frame. While I agree it is a little weird that they are printing new cards with the old frame in the set for specifically Modern legal cards, I think it's mostly just a selling packs thing more than something to do with the aesthetic of modern as a format.

Well technically the format is only supposed to include cards that have been printed or reprinted since the Modern card frame was created. So like, if I had an alpha printing of Lightning Bolt, I could play it in my modern deck since it is modern legal regardless of frame. While I agree it is a little weird that they are printing new cards with the old frame in the set for specifically Modern legal cards, I think it's mostly just a selling packs thing more than something to do with the aesthetic of modern as a format.

That is how reprints function. No matter the format.

And I agree that it is to sell packs. It’s just an odd choice. They could have done the Pre-Modern frame in literally any other set and it would make better sense than in the Modern set :)

I'm unreasonably excited about Diamond Lion for the graveyard cube knowing full well that it's likely mediocre to bad

View attachment 4007

I find it ironic that set ‘Modern Horizons 2’ includes the card frame that the format ‘Modern’ specifically was designed to not include: The pre-Modern card frame.

I actually think it makes sense. We get quite a few reprints, probably, like last time of old frame cards, so it's cool to get both options for the new cards as well. It goes both ways.

Wow, I hope all the new cards will get an old frame version.

I actually think it makes sense. We get quite a few reprints, probably, like last time of old frame cards, so it's cool to get both options for the new cards as well. It goes both ways.

Wow, I hope all the new cards will get an old frame version.

They could at least have chosen the Modern card frame as their special cards for a Modern set :)

Maybe when they finally get to make a Pioneer set, they will give that set the Modern card frame just to really show us how dumb they are ;)