Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

so i’ve been looking at Asmorblahblah and my list and… i have not a lot of discard outlets but a TON of cycling, i feel like she might actually be kinda deece in my list? how many ways to discard do you want before you consider her? is she bad even with sufficient enabler density? seems like she does a lot of stuff if you can meet the casting conditions?
if it sweetens the pot, i can see myself giving whoever drafts her a pair of Cookbooks as a squad pick.
(note this is for a high power fair environment)

165B89FF-80E2-49EF-9FF3-917600ED5345.jpeg

The name is the exact same as the set from 1998. Probably the most broken set/block ever.

It’s the first enchantment land in the game excluding test cards. This is a homage to the Urza’s Saga block that was themed around enchantments.

The first chapter gives Urza access to colorless mana. Very fitting for the planeswalker who dealt with colorless artifacts and powerstones his entire existence.

The second chapter creates artificial life. Just like Urza did with Karn and even taught Karn how to copy. This is how the plane of Mirrodin came into existence.

The third chapter is a tutor ability for an artifact that Urza’s Saga block was famous for like Tinker.

On the art you can see three levels or layers. There’s the almost erased in the background. That’s the writing of Urza’s wife, Kayla bin-Kroog from way back when Urza was a creature. Then there’s the clearly visible writings, formulas, graphs and calculations. Those are Urza’s own writing from his era of being a Planeswalker. Finally there’s the paintings in the foreground. There’s the book in the middle of the art, the Skyship Weatherlight in the bottom right corner and in focus we see High Lord Urza himself in his prime as the strongest being in the multiverse. This is done by his old friend, Barrin, who took over Tolarian Academy after Urza’s death.

Last edited:
[/ci]Constable of the Realm[/ci]

Has anyone tested in cube or played this in limited? I'm having trouble to evaluate this card. Looking for a +1/+1 counters white card that's not too snowbally, and this seems to have an amazing ceiling but is also blockable and removable. My instinct is that it might be too weak, but my cube is an environment where creatures are mostly 2/x and 1/x and with a lot of equipment, so I reckon it might be playable.

This slipped under the radar for me, but I'm seeing this in action in historic and it looks serviceable. One thing I hadn't noticed is how it turns into card draw when you are hellbent. Works nicely with madness too, since you can play Circular Logic as Dismiss for 1UR and Arrogant Wurm for 2G.

Obviously not very strong, but I had dismissed it as very weak before and I'm rethinking it. Any experience in limited/cube with this?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

This slipped under the radar for me, but I'm seeing this in action in historic and it looks serviceable. One thing I hadn't noticed is how it turns into card draw when you are hellbent. Works nicely with madness too, since you can play Circular Logic as Dismiss for 1UR and Arrogant Wurm for 2G.

Obviously not very strong, but I had dismissed it as very weak before and I'm rethinking it. Any experience in limited/cube with this?
I played an abnormal amount of MH2 sealed and it was always mediocre. It was supposed to be a stopgap between the madness deck and the storm deck, and while it is serviceable it just never felt good when you cast it.
In the storm deck you needed to be able to play a couple more spells the next turn to bump up that storm count, but that spell gain isn't enough to make up for the card loss this produces.
In the madness deck you at least got to be up a card if you managed to discard a Skophos Reaver of Kitchen Imp. Plus the free one next turn lets you have plenty of mana to be able to madness out things like Hell Mongrel. There were just cheaper discard outlets that impacted the board more than Faithless Salvaging. It just never felt like a card you wanted to cast. Just just cast it because you had to, because you put it in your deck and drew it.

Is faithless looting too strong in cube? Because at least that one feels like you get half a card back with the flashback side and it costs half as much.

Hopefully this isn't coming off as overly negative, just sharing my experiences.

I would agree that it's not good. Many things have to go right for its effect to be beneficial, and at 2 mana it's hard to accept it being net negative on cards. If you're going deep on cards that like to be discarded it's tolerable, but there are many, many other ways to do so without feeling like you jumped through all those deckbuilding and gameplay hoops for a singular, non-frosted shredded wheat cereal lump. Ravnic is totally right, the cost-to-effect ratio would be unpalatable even in a core set-like environment.