Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Wild Mongrel, what happened to you!!?? Madness is getting some sweet, sweet lovin' this set good god.
View attachment 4336

I like this one. One issue my madness section has is that the discard enablers keep getting better and more interesting, but there are few actual cards with "madness" written on them that hit that right power level. This set, while undeniably a boon to madness decks in cube, has sort of exacerbated that tension. This is still slightly clunky, but the upside is there.

You know a set is great the when the final drop of commons makes you think hard about so many cards (for inclusion, not because they are so complex). In addition to Fodder Tosser, Nested Shambler, and Foul Watcher, which have already been posted, I really like these:

1622648895815.png

I'm currently running Deadbridge Goliath, and happily so. But I love the added combat trick option here.

1622648904964.png

I think I have to give this a try? Great madness enabler and probably solid in other aggro or fattie decks?

1622648912501.png

Here I really like the crossover between spells matter and madness. Six mana is a lot however. And four isn't nothing either, when you might have to pay a mana/activation cost to discard this.

1622648924400.png

I like the overlap between lifegain and sacrifice, and I could see this being fine for aggro on my power level too, even without having massive synergies? It's a bear on turn two and reach once they stabilized.

1622648960861.png

These cards usually play better than they might look. And a payoff for sacrifice and tokens in white is something I'm happy to see too. Sadly it only triggers of your own creatures.

1622648969977.png

Well, that's a cool Gravedigger. Gets artifacts, enchantments and lands too, while also having lifelink. And abs.

Attachments

• 1622648934984.png
    1622648934984.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 2
resurgentbelief.jpg

Heart eyes emoji.

While not being able to cast it as a topdeck stinks, I like that this isn't a bajillion dollars. Plus, two upkeeps is not all that long of a time, and 2 is a lot less than 4. I will probably test this, especially if I cave to adding some cascade in. This + the red 2-drop delirium cascade dude = Lorehold is back on the menu.

landofMordor

Administrator
I like this one. One issue my madness section has is that the discard enablers keep getting better and more interesting, but there are few actual cards with "madness" written on them that hit that right power level. This set, while undeniably a boon to madness decks in cube, has sort of exacerbated that tension. This is still slightly clunky, but the upside is there
Depending on your goals, this might be ok. I'd rather have too many good discard outlets than too many overcosted cards with the word Madness on them. Partially that's because Madness cards are often heinous if not cheated into play, but also because discard outlets can exploit a whole host of synergies like Delirium, Eternalize, Scavenge, Flashback, etc etc etc. Maybe "RB graveyard-adjacent glue" has less ring than "RB Madness!!!!!" but it's certainly less fragile during draft and gameplay. It's what I'm planning my latest cube around, myself.

Depending on your goals, this might be ok. I'd rather have too many good discard outlets than too many overcosted cards with the word Madness on them. Partially that's because Madness cards are often heinous if not cheated into play, but also because discard outlets can exploit a whole host of synergies like Delirium, Eternalize, Scavenge, Flashback, etc etc etc. Maybe "RB graveyard-adjacent glue" has less ring than "RB Madness!!!!!" but it's certainly less fragile during draft and gameplay. It's what I'm planning my latest cube around, myself.

100%. I have 3 madness cards in my graveyard cube. There are many ways to exploit the discard mechanic that don't involve running a bunch of awkward stuff for your environment.

Any day you get an excuse to talk about the Fairbanks-Morse H-24-66 Trainmaster is a good day. I'm gonna have to pick one of these up for my layout the next time Lionel offers one in O-Scale. I usually only buy Steam locomotives but I think these are pretty cool. Fun fact, despite being the most powerful Diesel locomotives on the market when they were first introduced, the Trainmasters were actually used on Passenger trains in addition to Freight trains very often.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Did I ever tell you my close friend in Antwerp is a designer for train stuff. A lot of bed design for sleeper cars, but also mockups for trains, trams, busses. He even designed a tram station here in town.

Can someone @ me when CC has the set up? Or do we know when it will be?

I need to decide what I'm doing with my paper cube after this set's release and I have some work to do.