Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

All key tron lands produce {c}, right?
-7.gif

Tron lamentations aside

As President and lone member of the Land Destruction is Fun Club: Break the Ice is a pretty interesting LD effect. The two mana mode is still going to be a little tough to overcome from a tempo standpoint in a lot of cubes, but as a 6 mana Armageddon that doesn't hit most fixing lands, it seems like a pretty reasonable rate?

I tried running Catastrophe for a while, and as a dedicated LD spell it was a underwhelming. It seemed to thrive most in a control scenario in which you wipe the board if you are behind, or nuke the lands once you gained board advantage/dropped your bomb. I didn't like giving that kind of flexibility to control...it felt a little gross tbh. But break the ice might be reasonable.

Reactions: dbs
1622571047899.png

Nyktos Exemplar
Enchantment Creature
Whenever you gain life, you may put that same amount of +1/+1 counters on each creature you control. Do this only once per turn.

Tron lamentations aside

As President and lone member of the Land Destruction is Fun Club: Break the Ice is a pretty interesting LD effect. The two mana mode is still going to be a little tough to overcome from a tempo standpoint in a lot of cubes, but as a 6 mana Armageddon that doesn't hit most fixing lands, it seems like a pretty reasonable rate?

I tried running Catastrophe for a while, and as a dedicated LD spell it was a underwhelming. It seemed to thrive most in a control scenario in which you wipe the board if you are behind, or nuke the lands once you gained board advantage/dropped your bomb. I didn't like giving that kind of flexibility to control...it felt a little gross tbh. But break the ice might be reasonable.

Full on MLD has been pretty hit or miss in a cube setting from my experience. It's just trivially easy to break parity in many circumstances, which is something I don't like from haymaker type effects. And this is coming from someone who loves LD and tries to jam in MLD whenever possible in their EDH decks like a psychopath.

The only MLD effects I've been happy with in Cube are Wildfires because they allow enough of a window for the opponent to develop where it isn't a trivial game locking deployment. Sometimes you really need to figure out whether you have the advantage or not opening up another decision point which just leads to better gameplay overall. Like there's nothing particularly complex or decision heavy when it comes to firing off a T4 Armageddon if you're on White Weenie. You've likely deployed more threats than they have for early development, can easily apply pressure, and can rebuild quicker off a depleted mana base. It's just not particularly engaging.

This isn't bad, but I'm not quite sure if it's worth it unless there are specific fixing offerings being deployed in an environment where the 2 mana mode is a good rate. And if your B/x decks can really take advantage of setting your opponent back in development.

Full on MLD has been pretty hit or miss in a cube setting from my experience. It's just trivially easy to break parity in many circumstances, which is something I don't like from haymaker type effects. And this is coming from someone who loves LD and tries to jam in MLD whenever possible in their EDH decks like a psychopath.

The only MLD effects I've been happy with in Cube are Wildfires because they allow enough of a window for the opponent to develop where it isn't a trivial game locking deployment. Sometimes you really need to figure out whether you have the advantage or not opening up another decision point which just leads to better gameplay overall. Like there's nothing particularly complex or decision heavy when it comes to firing off a T4 Armageddon if you're on White Weenie. You've likely deployed more threats than they have for early development, can easily apply pressure, and can rebuild quicker off a depleted mana base. It's just not particularly engaging.

This isn't bad, but I'm not quite sure if it's worth it unless there are specific fixing offerings being deployed in an environment where the 2 mana mode is a good rate. And if your B/x decks can really take advantage of setting your opponent back in development.

I agree that mass ld is pretty hit or miss. It's less easy to break the parity in my environment without mana elves, abundant mana rocks or many planeswalkers. My resource LD/Stax suite currently looks like:

It's a pretty soft package when you take into account the heavy graveyard and recursion themes in my cube. This is pretty much what I've been running for a couple of years now, and I'm pretty content with it. I file a lot of cards away like Break the Ice for the day when card pool is deep enough to bump my cube up another notch in power level.

View attachment 4313

I typically avoid coin flip cards like the plague, but the base stats + sac a permanent is good enough to make this interesting at the very least.
I like this A LOT more than Vault Robber, which was a card I was hopeful for simply for the repeatable treasure-making effect but disappointing activation condition. Sacrificing permanents, especially repeatedly, is a unique enough effect (and certainly desirable in some cubes) to be worth it even if the random nature of making treasures is off-putting. That it fuels itself is really cool -- both in the permanents it makes and the mana they can generate to pay for the activation. Neat card!

Just realized it can't sacrifice itself which would've been nice....maybe not thematic, but nice

I'm not a fan. You might just get nothing out of your sacrifice. Could lead to huge feel bad moments.

I think the feel bad argument can get a little over-emphasized here at times. If you play this card and intend to activate it, you should know what you signed up for. Maybe you're sacrificing a Bloodghast right before you play a land for the turn, or sacrifice a creature that is blocking in combat...or you are sacrificing an Ichor Wellspring, etc there's a lot of instances where the tokens can just be gravy.

I'm a pretty big fan of repeatable surveil on a defensive body
STARFISH
The ability to block and scry with the blue one was really solid in retail.

flockhealer.jpg

Didn't Onder already design this in photoshop like two years ago? (Flying, Lifelink) White cube confirmed?

arcboundslasher.jpg

Riot has always been great and being able to leave a ton of P/T behind is a big deal. That's a heck of a common in retail and gets me looking at my artifact list even more.