Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

{B}{B}{B} is a little rough, but it can definitely set up some power turns in a sac deck.

Just to note for anyone that misses it, Magus of the Bridge triggers from the battlefield, not from the GY like the original.

hardevidence.jpg

I'm glad this card exists. It's a blue Thraben Inspector that triggers prowess and the like at the cost of not being able to be blinked. While this isn't quite a cantrip, it is a relevant body to help control decks throw up a wall against aggressive strategies. This card definitely has a home in low-power environments, and I think it might have legs higher up the power band as well.

It would be completely obscene from the graveyard.
kind of like the original you mean?

I like that it's from the battlefield. Fragile and looking for you to utilize it quickly before it poofs. Also kinda like the original, but you can't do it for free lol.

kind of like the original you mean?

I like that it's from the battlefield. Fragile and looking for you to utilize it quickly before it poofs. Also kinda like the original, but you can't do it for free lol.
Getting a creature in the graveyard is much easier than an enchantment, and bridge is worthless in play. It would be waaay better

We didn't really talk about it yet, but I think this card is pretty neat:

1622560274193.png

Ramp, spell triggers, artifact synergy. I can see this playing better than it looks

I think I like that quite a bit better than the Ethereal Forager. Nice card.

Getting a creature in the graveyard is much easier than an enchantment
is this actually true? Most discard besides like Fauna Shaman allows for discard of any card type, and self mill is type-agnostic too. Like I guess getting it from the battlefield to the grave is easier, but that would be a last-resort move even for the Magus.
Constructed play shows that Bridge from Below is straight busted as-is. It's no argument that this would also be busted with the same wording, but I doubt it would be that much better. As both are currently written Bridge is definitely stronger since you can stack 4x triggers a lot more easily.

Also Magus is worthless when in the GY besides recursion, so kinda null point there.

is this actually true? Most discard besides like Fauna Shaman allows for discard of any card type, and self mill is type-agnostic too. Like I guess getting it from the battlefield to the grave is easier, but that would be a last-resort move even for the Magus.

I just wanted to clarify that I'm only talking from the context of cube when I'm evaluating cards here.

It's easier to sacrifice a creature than an enchantment which gives it another realistic path to the graveyard. There are also cards like Buried Alive and Survival of the Fittest, but I was only really talking about the to graveyard from play angle. It would be a significant distinction in singleton cube where you don't always have the perfect amount of mill and discard effects to reliably bin a card like this.

I just wanted to clarify that I'm only talking from the context of cube when I'm evaluating cards here.

It's easier to sacrifice a creature than an enchantment which gives it another realistic path to the graveyard. There are also cards like Buried Alive and Survival of the Fittest, but I was only really talking about the to graveyard from play angle. It would be a significant distinction in singleton cube where you don't always have the perfect amount of mill and discard effects to reliably bin a card like this.
Certainly understood. A strong reason this acting on the battlefield as a creature is so good for cubes that can profitably run it. Not necessarily that it is maximally powerful.

1622564167314.png

1622564176963.png

Soothing Rest
Instant
Target player shuffles their graveyard into their library. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.

1622564223858.png

Whenever ~ attacks, flip 3 coins. For each flip won, create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token tapped and attacking

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I always assume for Delerium that by far the most common route in my cube is: Land, Creature, Instant, Sorcery

The other types are much lower in raw count, and in answers. An enchantment that hits the battlefield often stays there the whole game. Obviously stuff like sagas or Bontu changes this a bit, and your cube composition may differ significantly.

I think I like that quite a bit better than the Ethereal Forager. Nice card.
I'm not sure whether I like it more or not. Regent would draw me into a specific archetype a bit harder as a build around than Forager which is more generically useful. Regent can get grotesquely large, and I do like doing grotesque things in cube....

I always assume for Delerium that by far the most common route in my cube is: Land, Creature, Instant, Sorcery

The other types are much lower in raw count, and in answers. An enchantment that hits the battlefield often stays there the whole game. Obviously stuff like sagas or Bontu changes this a bit, and your cube composition may differ significantly.

Artifacts are also very easy with all of the playable spellbombs, baubles, capsules, and artifact creatures.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether I like it more or not. Regent would draw me into a specific archetype a bit harder as a build around than Forager which is more generically useful.
Forager just seems a tad too fragile to combat and red spells from what I've experienced. It ideally wants you to exile the best spells in your 'yard so you get the best return when it attacks, but this leaves you open to a bigger removal blowout and can restrict other recursion like mission briefing.

Regent can enter as a (cheaper) Tombstalker relatively easily in a wide variety of non-specific decks, but still offers that extra payoff for being in a spells deck with Retrace, Flashback, etc. In fact, there is some nice tension with GY-recurrable spells since you can either lose the card to get a bigger up-front body, or sacrifice the ETB size for more spells to use and grow it later. Even one instant/sorcery is a very respectable 4/4 flier that can grow later. Card is stronk.

Which brings up one potential issue, which is that it can easily obsolete the actual Tombstalker in some deck builds, so that might be a cube design consideration tipping in favor of Forager.

so Tron is a little overbearing in the Modern meta these days? Jesus that's some blowout potential against that deck.