Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

View attachment 4269

This can be a very cool card for low low powered environments...I always got a lot of mileage out of swell of courage in my peasant cube....this is less good imo, but you can have a good defensive body, can pump your evasive creature, or combo with a card like triskelion. Reinforce X is so fun.

I can confirm that reinforce is really cool mechanic, like a split card with a sticking combat trick attached. I dislike the ooops reach here, however.

Well here's another option ...

View attachment 4259

Am I the only one here excited for this sphinx? I think this is the {W/U} artifact signpost. And speaking of cool designs, affinity and cascade are somehow really elegant together. I mean, this casts everything except Godzilla in my cube.

There is basically one exception, and that is Abzan Falconer.
Probably not wrong but I am runnnig a few more right now..

Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter
Oona's Blackguard This card is quite foul.
Gnarlid Colony (formerly Bramblewood Paragon
Tenured Inkcaster Honestly, I have pretty high hopes for this one. (formerly Mer-Ek Nightblad)

No excuse.

Well, I am back home....set up a two-person *TONIGHT* before we even left the airport parking lot. #InTheMood
So many amazing cards spoiled last 72 hrs..I'm going to need some time to process all of this, sweet baby Jesus.... :rolleyes: Both my cubes are getting a big ol' kick in the ass.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
glad somebody has started the conversation on Captain Ripley Vance. i think it is probably not actually very good, because even getting ONE cannon blast is going to be challenging.
however, if you can trigger even one blast, i think a 4/3 for 3 that flame slashes something is a pretty good rate?
after playing a couple games in my own cube with a built-around Clarion Spirit, and being able to trigger it about 3 turns out of 4, i think i’m at least gonna test Vance.

Three spells is a lot for the average cube environment.

The cubes that can reliably trigger this probably have more broken things to do tbh.

Unless your three spells are:

or

(reckless charge flashback being one of the 3)

:D

An almost for me....only hitting a creature that is in combat takes away the best quality of icatian javelineers
I definitely didn't read the card and assumed it was Icatian Javelineers 2.0... Damn

slagstrider.jpg

My artifact cube design runs BR sac. I've been working on my other two cubes, but damn if this hasn't been a tempting day... Not sure what cube is going to be played when I meet up with my friends in a few weeks.

None of those are outlast creatures though, which was what the argument was about, that Abzan Falconer is the only worthwhile outlast creature in my opinion ;)
I think there's one outlast creature that is better than Abzan Falconer:

Herald of Anafenza is awesome because it's an army in a can for Aggro and Midrange strategies alike. It can be good turn-one play for a Hypergeometric White aggro deck, or can help with re-building after a board wipe. The card slaps!

Am I the only one here excited for this sphinx? I think this is the {W/U} artifact signpost. And speaking of cool designs, affinity and cascade are somehow really elegant together. I mean, this casts everything except Godzilla in my cube.
I was excited by it. But I have given it some thought:

In order to reliably cast it for cheap you will need to fill your deck with cheap artifact cards (eg. Barbed Point). Those are not great hits off the cascade. Thus I foresee the range being very wide and an outcome on either extreme may leave one or the other player feeling disgruntled.

I was excited by it. But I have given it some thought:

In order to reliably cast it for cheap you will need to fill your deck with cheap artifact cards (eg. Barbed Point). Those are not great hits off the cascade. Thus I foresee the range being very wide and an outcome on either extreme may leave one or the other player feeling disgruntled.

That probably balances it quite a bit for constructed. In limited it's a question of power level. Is an Air Elemental that comes with a free 2-drop artifact a good payoff?

I think the answer for my cube is yes, but I can see how it's usefulness varies greatly with different power levels and artifact densities.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think there's one outlast creature that is better than Abzan Falconer:

Herald of Anafenza is awesome because it's an army in a can for Aggro and Midrange strategies alike. It can be good turn-one play for a Hypergeometric White aggro deck, or can help with re-building after a board wipe. The card slaps!
Really? I did test it shortly, but thought it was underwhelming. Every activation makes the mana to stats ratio worse, even Chronomaton felt better at the time (and I've cut that card a looong time ago). Am I missing something?

Really? I did test it shortly, but thought it was underwhelming. Every activation makes the mana to stats ratio worse, even Chronomaton felt better at the time (and I've cut that card a looong time ago). Am I missing something?
Well, it's a mana sink. Your aggro decks are mostly activating it to try to keep ahead on board when they start to run out of cards, and then start attacking with it once it's of a sufficiently large size. Spending 10 mana for a 4/5 and 3 1/1s isn't a great rate, but since you get to pay that in installments, it's not a big deal. This card is also better in faster environments where the average creature size is a bit smaller. If the biggest non-cheat creature is a 5/5, it's easier for the herald to get to a size where it can do something relevant compared to a format with larger creatures.

Herald of Anafenza is somewhat like Usher of the Fallen in that it helps aggro decks get board advantage in longer games. The difference is that Usher of the Fallen helps in proactively expanding the board to help capitalize on an early advantage, while Herald of Anafenza is a slightly more Reactive card to help the aggro player stay in the game during a board stall. I don't know if that comparison is relevant for you, but that is how I feel about the card.

Not sure what cube is going to be played when I meet up with my friends in a few weeks.
Right there with you, sir..I'm not even sure I want to play my artifact cube again until I have *ALL* of this goofy new shit in it, hahaha..

glad somebody has started the conversation on Captain Ripley Vance. i think it is probably not actually very good, because even getting ONE cannon blast is going to be challenging.
Agree 100% this seems like something that will basically be impossible to pull off. I won't test this guy at all!

Outlast only being at sorcery speed is a cryin' shame. Really cool mechanic if it was otherwise.

Captain Vance seems very tricky to pull off. 3 spells is orders more difficult than 2 in a single turn, at least in this format.

Your words make sense, but I just never have seen the card do anything impressive. Guess I will have to try it out again some time.
This was pretty much my same experience with it. I liked it in KTK draft, but it was so slow to actually get going and wasn't what I was looking for out of a 1 drop white creature. It was pretty lackluster for me when I gave it a run years back, one of those cards that usually read way better than they actually played. That's kind of how Usher of the Fallen feels as well. Theoretically you love the idea of a 2/1 that can do other things as a mana sink later, but how often do you actually have that opening where you don't have anything better to do? Value definitely goes up if those tokens matter more (anthems, growing a Champion of the Parish, etc.), but without that feature it's less impressive.

Herald might be a different story in a lower powered environment where you can afford to spend that 2W at sorcery speed and if the +1/+1 counters matter. Like it worked in Khans draft with the format being so slow and morph centric with 2/2s so it's definitely possible to make an environment where it's worth it, but it'll definitely take some work.

Catching up after being away most of this weekend, but man there's been a lot of love for many fringe archetypes. MH2 looks like a goldmine for Cube. I'm especially excited about all this incidental support for my U/R Artifacts deck. The main issue with these kind of archetypes has always been the lack of cards that are good enough to include in the main cube but can then shine in this specific deck, but we're definitely getting there with some of these new cards:

1622499224396.png 1622499237688.png 1622499282531.png 1622499915830.png

That rock firing off a Liquimetal Coating impression is especially spicy to me. I'm all for more incidental artifacts that have a decent base rate and aren't embarassing to deploy. Like consider the fact that we've gotten Golos, Tireless Pilgrim in the last few years able to help you tutor up an impact land ala Academy Ruins or fair reanimation targets like Phyrexian Triniform and Ruin Grinder that don't completely warp the game. Getting a Mulldrifter of their own and cards that scale well with the more dedicated your deck is to the artifact theme is awesome. Super excited to see these new cards in play with the Artifact Land offerings from my ULD. Now I really just need a Trash for Treasure effect stapled onto a solid body as an ETB and we'll be cooking with gas.

Attachments

• 1622499628061.png
    1622499628061.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Your words make sense, but I just never have seen the card do anything impressive. Guess I will have to try it out again some time.
I don't want to oversell Herald of Anafenza to you. This card is only something you should really be looking to play if you are supporting a "true aggro" mono-White deck, preferably in a format where the +1/+1 counters also matter to some extent. If your format is dominated by mostly midrange strategies with a somewhat high curve, I don't think this card has much value. It really shines in an aggro deck that always wants to curve out starting on the first turn. If that doesn't describe a deck in your format, this probably isn't a card for you. However, if that deck exists, Herald of Anafenza is a unique option to give aggro decks something other than a generic 2/1 to start the curve with on turn 1.

I'm happy to have it as a tool in my Aggro-arsenal, and think it's the best outlast creature because of where it shines.

Agree 100% this seems like something that will basically be impossible to pull off. I won't test this guy at all!
i don’t think it’s impossible at all in my environment, but certainly not something you can do repeatedly. so i want to see how often it happens the first time.

Even one shot from Rip Vance, Vance Refrigeration is a pretty big deal.

Skyfisher antics in white, Probe and other cantrips in blue. Baseline body of 3/2. It's test-worthy for some environments.

My biggest concern is it's a little bit low powered with a pretty high powered payoff.