Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Clearly it's upgrading Food tokens into Monsters...
FruitcakeElementalHoliday.jpg
This card we actually ran in my main cube for a few days...they should def errata it to Food Elemental. Forgot all about this lol.
====
This set...I LOVE it. I have *so many* fun new cross synergy cards to slam in my artifact cube. (Yes Brad I will be creating a thread for it next few days. I am currently in Orlando/Universal Studios on family vaca. )

landofMordor

Administrator
Yeah, I love Unearth to death but don't really think of it as an explicit archetype. You can run it along spicy targets like Skaab Ruinator or whatnot, but it's just a card you shove in your deck and get some sweet mana efficiency out of at some point (rather than specifically building around).
It certainly has those humbler use cases, but alongside Claim // Fame, Young Pyromancer, Dreadhorde Arcanist, and Faithless Looting (the latter of which I break singleton for) you can definitely start to approach the Historic Arcanist or Modern Mardu Pyromancer style decks. I don't know quite yet whether or not this is an archetype that will be healthy long-term in my high-power cube, but it's certainly fun.

I'm also a big fan of cycling targets, especially Titanoth Rex. Cycling still gives them value (as well as the trample counter on Rex), but they can offer a really beefy target to strive for if a deck wants a reanimation package.

Absolutely. There are a few ways I've been able to reduce the toxicity of the reanimator archetype in my cube, and cycling is the main way. It's allowed reanimation to have so much more dimension to it. You need to first be at a power level for these to be meaningful bodies on the ground:

Having the cycling mode means they are never dead draws, and they are 2/3s of the reanimation sequence (target, discard target, reanimate target). At a lower power level most of these can be run as early turn cantrips and late game bombs. It helps to have ways to profit off the discard or draw triggers which may look like:

(Archfiend being a decent reanimation target in itself at this power level).

Sizable creatures that pitch for reanimation but are also hard-castable slot into control shells very easily. There are even a handful of reanimation spells with built in control components to them:

This has been a big deal for my cube. It has allowed for a much easier pivot into reanimator strategies, and allowed for "soft" reanimator/cheat strategies.

In green, these two cards have been great for pivoting:

Path gets you close to hardcasting most of these, and cycles away if the stars don't align. See the Unwritten has broader appeal in the beefier green strategies as a board populator and graveyard filler.

Now this doesn't have the same pop that people crave in a creature cheat strategy, which is where the hasted reanimation suite comes in:

and the functional haste Makeshift Mannequin

and particularly how it intersects with the artifact cheats:

note that Feldon's tokens being artifacts is a key overlap.

Larger reanimation targets:

Value reanimation:

Ruin Grinder and Angel of the Ruins are also artifacts. We've been so lucky with recent printings!

This angle is primarily focused on etb/ltb triggers and looping them to take over a game.

Other sneak creatures that I like:

Red's cheat package also pairs well with white's karmic guide, reveillark, and blink suite.

So in my cube the higher end of a cheat sequence looks more like dealing 18 in a turn with doom engine or sneaking out a Titanoth Rex or Borbo to take half of your opponents life total. Which is significant, but not effortlessly lethal and cheesy. The lower end will more often look like a turn 4 Angel of the Ruins or Waker of Waves.

So yeah, this is my current solution to the reanimator conundrum, and I think it's pretty successful and fun while still being capable of some of the "thrills" of traditional reanimator.

Last edited:
View attachment 4257

Oh boy, that is a spicy common. Intersects two of my major {W/U} themes, blink and artifacts, while just being a nice value card. Also gives a lifegain trigger and works icely with ninjutsu. Oh boy, but gold cuts are so hard in most guilds for me ...
I was lacking a signpost I liked for UW artifacts. Problem solved. I am a sucker for neat artifacts, and this set is providing a lot of neat toys!

Bloodbraid Marauder, on the other hand, looks awesome. Pretty typical aggro 2-drop early in the game, really creative way to keep it more relevant into the later game. nice.

sythishandoftheharvest.jpg

Sythis said:
"Sythis, Hand of the Harvest"
{G}{W}
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Nymph
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, gain 1 life and draw a card.
1/2
It seems like every time I go to cut my enchantments matter cards, WOTC decides it's a good time to print another enchantment payoff. This card is better than some of the other options we have seen so far for this deck, as it comes down on turn 2 and can start drawing cards on turn three. However, it's a gold card, which makes it hard to card. It also has no way of protecting itself, unlike cards such as Argothian Enchantress. In addition, this card uses a cast trigger as opposed to a constellation trigger, making it impossible to gain any value from this by blinking your enchantments.

I think this card is too little, too late. If there were 3 or 4 more cards with this effect at this mana cost, then the archetype might be pretty good. As is, I think this card is little more than a gold signpost card for low power environments. It's really good in that role, but it's not enough to justify the enchantment deck anywhere else... currently. Hopefully we see more cards at this cost with similar abilities in the future, because I want the enchantment deck to be a thing at some point.

yeah while i love a 2 mana cascade, the body makes it very narrow. would have loved this effect on, like, a 2 mana wargear or lightning strike variant

Bloodbraid Marauder looks really bad to me. Blade of the Sixth Pride stats means it dies to anything, and it can't even trade up by blocking because, well, it says so on the card. The cascade would be super sweet (and powerful) if you could hit it in the early game, but it only comes online at a stage in the game that getting a shitty body plus a one drop often isn't go to do much.

I think it can be respectable depending on your cube. It won’t crack my list, but it can be a lot of fun with prowess creatures, clarion spirit, vengevine, hand flicker like shepherd of the flock. A 3/1 that can’t block would need to be serviceable in your format. I think it’s pretty cool.

This a spicy little meatball:

1622480408561.png

*Madness deck intensifies*

Discard as an echo is so good. Opens up all the mana you have for casting madness cards and other shenanigans.

Regarding Marauder, it won'te necessarily cascade into a one drop creature. It can also get your lightning bolt, your lash of malice, your trusty machete, etc. In cubes without a strong token theme I think the body is perfectly reasonable. 3/1's are mostly bricked by stray tokens and the like.

my problem with marauder is the token spam. i’m on Clarion Spirit, Hero of Precinct One, Hangarback Walker, Jolrael, Pyromancer, Sedgemoor Witch... it’s gonna get bricked often

my problem with marauder is the token spam. i’m on Clarion Spirit, Hero of Precinct One, Hangarback Walker, Jolrael, Pyromancer, Sedgemoor Witch... it’s gonna get bricked often

Yeah, it‘s clearly a poor fit for your environment. It probably isn’t good for mine either, I was just appreciating the design

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 4269

This can be a very cool card for low low powered environments...I always got a lot of mileage out of swell of courage in my peasant cube....this is less good imo, but you can have a good defensive body, can pump your evasive creature, or combo with a card like triskelion. Reinforce X is so fun.
This is ticking a lot of E Domain boxes. Rosheen is already salivating.