Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Testing/Includes Thread

Fair Lurrus is probably a good comparison, but only getting 1-drops makes it also more build-around-y.
Since Abiding Grace was spoiled, I can't stop for longer thinking of the possibilities. Take this curve for example:

Now you can draw cards while you build up to a massive card draw!
I wonder if it would be possible to build a Abiding Grace Control deck with lots of 1-drops and board wipes ... :D

I'm going to test this without much expectation over Light of Hope - the added artifact destruction is huge, and graveyard hate is situationally useful. A bit sad it doesn't trigger heroic, but I only have 1 left anyway, so it's not really an archetype anymore.

Also love the flavor.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I feel like I should recognize the art
@Velrun any ideas?
This time I looked it up instead of guessing (in case you've seen the post I sneakily deleted):

Barrin and Rayne were the parents of Hanna, Ship's Navigator. From Hanna's Wiki page: Hanna was the daughter of Barrin and Rayne (and therefore a product of Urza's Bloodline Project), but decided to leave Tolaria to study artifice at the university in New Argive. Her self-imposed exile came from the strained relationship caused by her father's desire to see her study magic at the Tolarian Academy. Hanna and Barrin were not on speaking terms for many years as a result.

I wonder how good Orchard Strider is.

I was looking for a green 6-drop with some lifegain attached before, and I think the base body here is better than the Honey Mammoths we've got before. You have to pay for the life, but it's 6 life in two activations (meaning two triggers). And you also get the basic land cycling, which is quite good in some cases.

I wonder how good Orchard Strider is.

I was looking for a green 6-drop with some lifegain attached before, and I think the base body here is better than the Honey Mammoths we've got before. You have to pay for the life, but it's 6 life in two activations (meaning two triggers). And you also get the basic land cycling, which is quite good in some cases.
Having played against this card several times today, I can definitively say that it is a real beating and can provide a lot of value that other cards can't. I think for a slower, low-power cube like yours, this card is a great option, as it will be good without being oppressive.

Got some testing in on MH2 cards last night!

Esper Sentinel: This guy made me, a Sultai Magecraft player, sweat big time when dropped T1 from across the table, and I ended up spending 3 on Kaleidoscorch to kill him so I could continue playing Magic.
Very cool proactive midrange card for White and I still want someone to slap a Sword on him and cackle.

Hard Evidence: This one made my main board but was never cast, however, my players were instantly in love with the Craben Inspector. Actual quote from my Grixis player this morning: “Of everything that happened yesterday I was thinking the most about the crab tokens…” …so obviously this is an easy keeper for me.

Dragon’s Rage Channeler: As advertised this gal was a beater, she made it into my wife’s Titania Domain maindeck and turned into a 3/3 burninator with relative ease consistently.

Kaleidoscorch: I splashed this (and Breya lol) in my Sultai deck as part of my Gifts Ungiven package. It is indeed the real deal in a fixing dense environment. Cast the flashback twice for lethal to face after tutoring it into my yard with Gifts. Cast the front side once to claim a Chevill bounty off opponent’s Esper Sentinel. Very fun card and two players commented that they greatly enjoy the name Kaleidoscorch itself regardless of what it does.

Moderation: This made it into my wife’s Titania Domain deck and drew her 4+ cards when cast. She said she would like to have more ways to get rid of it once she gets a bunch of lands in play, but really liked having it out until that point. I am gonna look at adding 1-2 more bounce and/or “nonland permanent” removals in UW to help with this. Seems like it has similar play patterns to Demonic Pact which makes me super happy!

Territorial Kavu: Yeah it’s big and does stuff. Made it into the Titania Domain deck and was pretty much always 3/3 or bigger.

Yusri, Fortune’s Flame: Also made into my wife’s deck, she got to attack with it once, flipped 5 of course, drew three cards and took 4 damage. Her words: “i’d say that’s a pretty good deal!” and yes she won that game.

General Ferrous Rokiric: hoooooly cow this dude did work. Big Boros is BACK baby. one of the highlights of the night, my wife plays him turn 3, runs out Bloodbraid Elf turn 4, cascades into Territorial Kavu with 3 domain. 3+3+4+4= 14 power on board in one turn. she actually lost that game to Celestial Colonnade somehow???

Still hoping to get results on a few other cards. I drafted Captain Ripley, but ended up cutting her which was big sad. A few other cards made mainboards but just weren’t cast, or ended up passed to a drafter that wasn’t in the right colors for them.

@TrainmasterGT not testing the WX converge removal spell?
I might. The big reason I didn't put it on the list is because there are a lot of things larger than the number of colors that are reasonable to cast that card with in my Cube. Between the fact that my fixing isn't so great to consistently enable mana bases beyond 3 colors, and that there are some must-remove cards in the 5+ range, I don't think the card actually does everything I need my removal spells to do. Having said that, it is a good answer to a lot of the more aggressive strategies in the format (and to mana dorks), so I might want to try it. I think I need to play with it a little first before I decide if I want to test it in my Cube. I could totally see it making into the list at some point.
I had Prismatic Ending in my prerelease sealed pool, and it over performed my expectations. It was very rare that the ending didn't have a good target, and it was a clean answer to almost everything. While I do worry a little about it's ability to kill larger midrange threats and Planeswalkers, I have no more doubts that this card is going to be worth a test slot in the Cube.

Having played against this card several times today, I can definitively say that it is a real beating and can provide a lot of value that other cards can't. I think for a slower, low-power cube like yours, this card is a great option, as it will be good without being oppressive.

He made it. Orchard Strider will be card #11 from MH2 entering my cube, with me hoping it'll stay :)

Neat payoff for a +1/+1 counter theme or inconsistent garbo? Tempted...
I think this is inconsistent garbo if you're planning to put it into Sign, Again(?).

This card really wants to be in a Cube with a power level close to that of retail limited. Anywhere else, I think it does way too little for too much mana.

Last edited:
How many wizards and shamans would I need to make Harmonic Prodigy worth it? Something like one in five creatures, perhaps? I think it could add some interesting play to my red-based sections like Humans has for white.