Sets (MH2) Modern Horizons 2 Testing/Includes Thread

i considered running it in my environment with about 13 buddies out of 100ish creatures, but yeah i think you probably want about double that.
EDIT: the art is amazing though

I don't know, if the power level isn't super high AND your prowess-style decks can reliably cast 1-2 noncreature spells a turn, it semms pretty good on it's own, attacking as a 3/5 and sometimes a 5/7. I'd probably play it in red decks with like one or two other cards like Young Pyromancer, and that's considering a power level (above mine) where young pyro is adequat.

yeah it is very cool but much harder to turn on than it looks. i think you want to be at a level where running changelings falls inside your power band for it.
dang that art is nice though

I think it depends on the power level of your cube... if you play cards like Snapcaster Mage, Dark Confidant, Vendilion Clique, Young Pyromancer, Arcane Savant, Eternal Witness and so on, probably it could be an interesting high-risk high-reward card. I don't think there are enough reasons to support an entire Shaman&Wizards archetype based on this card though

I think it depends on the power level of your cube... if you play cards like Snapcaster Mage, Dark Confidant, Vendilion Clique, Young Pyromancer, Arcane Savant, Eternal Witness and so on, probably it could be an interesting high-risk high-reward card. I don't think there are enough reasons to support an entire Shaman&Wizards archetype based on this card though
this is at least partially true but, the creature density has to be there so you can actually reliably have this + one of those out.

How many wizards and shamans would I need to make Harmonic Prodigy worth it? Something like one in five creatures, perhaps? I think it could add some interesting play to my red-based sections like Humans has for white.

If you want to capitalize on this card's Panharmonicon mode, you would need several other Wizards and Shamans with triggered abilities (specifically triggered abilities importantly, not activated abilities like with Grim Lavamancer). Looking at your Cube, I only see 3 Wizards or Shamans in red that have triggered abilities. You do have several Wizards in blue with decent triggers, but most of them don't strike me as the types of cards that go into the same type of deck as Harmonic Prodigy. So, if you want to run this card as a Panharmonicon type card, you're gonna want some more Wizards and Shamans that work with it.

Since this card is an aggressive Prowess-y card, I would consider some of the following:

These cards all have triggered abilities that will really let you capitalize on the prodigy's ability. These mostly go into aggressive or tempo shells, but there were some more controlling options I saw on scryfall you could try if your power level is low enough.

Now, this card does look like a pretty reasonable Prowess creature in its own right. While a 1/3 body is nothing to write home about, it does allow this creature to get big enough to actually matter during combat. It is actually able to attack into midrange threats without dying (provided you have a couple of spells to back it up with), so that's a point in it's favor. I think if you want to try Harmonic Prodigy you should go for it, but keep in mind that you will need to start playing cards you aren't right now in order for it to be a card people actively want to use. If it will rarely pass the floor of being a Sanguinary Mage, no one will play it.

I've seen a draft video or two now, and this thing seems to be easier to trigger than I thought. Did anyone around here play with this card in mh2 drafts or cube so far? I'm strongly reconsidering it as a build around card.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

I've seen a draft video or two now, and this thing seems to be easier to trigger than I thought. Did anyone around here play with this card in mh2 drafts or cube so far? I'm strongly reconsidering it as a build around card.
This is true. I have never been game enough to play it myself, but in sealed it is usually always back-breaking. You usually just hold it until you have a cheap creature in the same turn so that you can cast both and get the value straight away. Then from there as long as you have a decent mix of creatures and non-creatures, you should be able to trigger this every second turn, as the clues drawing you cards digs you to the next spells, and the food keeps you alive while doing this grindy motion. Card gets very silly with Academy Manufacturer.

Lucky Paper Radio pointed out the similarities between this and Squirrel Nest (A card I probably should have been running already) and I'm trying it out btw
This card has also been very hard to deal with in sealed. Loses a lot of it's lustre in cube because the main draw is just saccing any random tokens (food) to get the anthem and just keep pumping out dudes. Otherwise, yes it does pretty much work the same as squirrel nest, and getting a token for 1 mana a turn is pretty decent.

I think Squirrel Nest is quite a bit weaker than Chitter Spitter, or am I missing something? Barring synergies with Arbor Elf, the Anthem should put the artifact above it.

That being said, I'll stick with Squirrel Nest. It's more elegant, more resonant, less silly and fits my middling power level very well :)

Still tempted by the Fae though ...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I wasn't playing nest, but I am going to be trying spitter.
Also Artifacts are nominally easier to deal with?
I don't forsee a ton of tokens lying around to feed this and make it an anthemn? It's also on upkeep only