Sets (MID) Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly I may have cut some DFCs I might want to bring back in. I should go look at that

Though cutting Vryn's prodigy for a second snapcaster just feels great

@Zoss

I believe we are 1 set away from seeing the last set with transform in a while. When they announced Zendikar Rising they said that each set this rotation + Innistrad would have transform and they did this because they wanted to start a new trend where there was a connection between all the sets in a rotation block.

Sets this standard rotation block:
Zendikar Rising
Kaldheim
Strixhaven: School of Mages
(No transform in D&D: Adventures itfr)
Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Next set is Innistrad: Crimson Vow

Oh, for sure I don't think that there are going to be any in 2022. However, I think that DFCs are going to show up more often than in the past. Instead of just being an Innistrad thing, my sense is that they're going to be used every few years or so as evidenced by how liberally MDFCs were used this past year and the success with which they were recieved. This is on a larger timescale than that, and I think it's safe to say that going forward DFCs are going to play a larger role in the next decade of Magic than the previous one.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Guys I need your help with a decision: Should I include some of the Day/Night Werewolves or not?

— I really hate the Day/Night change to the Werewolf transform mechanic. It doesn’t explain on the cards what the ability does. If you have the token, you get most of the explanation but not all of it.

— I really love the showcase frame for this set’s werewolf transform cards. I also want most different frames in my cube because I like the diversity and the feeling of “That frame is from the Mystical Archive from a set that had extra focus on instants and sorceries” etc.

— I like the way the mechanic works. It’s almost like the old transform and I like that play pattern. It gives the players a mini game within the game.
I've been mulling this over a bit, and as much as I think it's stupid that Moonmist doesn't work for day/night werewolves, I think some of the new werewolf designs are so sweet, that it would be worth cutting Moonmist for. I could never in good consciousness advocate running them together though. If you don't run Moonmist (or other similar cards that can transform creatures) to begin with, I think the day/night cards are intuitive enough that it's worth it to run the good ones (i.e. the right ones for your environment).

I've been mulling this over a bit, and as much as I think it's stupid that Moonmist doesn't work for day/night werewolves, I think some of the new werewolf designs are so sweet, that it would be worth cutting Moonmist for. I could never in good consciousness advocate running them together though. If you don't run Moonmist (or other similar cards that can transform creatures) to begin with, I think the day/night cards are intuitive enough that it's worth it to run the good ones (i.e. the right ones for your environment).
You could always make a house rule and give Moonmist the line of text "It becomes night." The spirit of the card remains the same, then.

Yeah. As always I think you exactly the right things. What will you do in a few years with the “Permanents enter the battlefield nightbound”? Tell the players before the tournament or just let the ones who did not know this be at a disadvantage?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah. As always I think you exactly the right things. What will you do in a few years with the “Permanents enter the battlefield nightbound”? Tell the players before the tournament or just let the ones who did not know this be at a disadvantage?
I would probably explain as it comes up. Cube is (usually) a complex format, there's bound to be some mechanics that are a bit harder to grasp. Just make sure your drafters know it's alright to ask questions during the draft.

Just found another detail about the Day/Night mechanic:

As soon as a Day/Night card has been on the battlefield, no matter if the card stays in the battlefield or not, for the rest of the game you have to track the Day/Night/Day/Night cycle every turn.

This one looks like it could belong in Strixhaven in a classroom

4AEE5E3A-80D5-4B8A-8B02-37A2DD6F13B8.png

The Clue tokens have becomes less mysterious and more… grim.

09B5D1F4-571E-4911-AF1C-319E5CFB66FE.png

Yeah. They did that from time to time. Sometimes they would spoil a token or all the tokens and ask the question: “Which card do you think could put this token onto the battlefield?”

But only sometimes. Most often they’ve done it like this.

Last edited:
I really wish that they'd spoil the tokens alongside the cards that made them.

Give me Arlinn and her AWOO puppies in one batch.

The scale on the Ooze token vs Consuming Blob doesn't give the sense that they're the same stats at all. Blob has a human skull for scale and is at least 10 feet tall. Ooze token looks like it's in a drinking glass sized thing next to some sort of tray and is maybe 6 inches tall?

Has anyone any results on this guy so far, from either cube or retail limited? This morning I realized he might be a great fit for my aggro/sacrifice/zombie decks, but I see him on so many lists here, back to back with some pushed nonsense like the Adversary cycle cards, so I figured he might be stronger than I think and stronger than I want for my cube ...

I've seen it on the battlefield in retail a few times. It's a great engine card in retail and will be a great engine card in cube. Similarly to Dreadhorde Invasion, it can provide a continual stream of sac outlets without gumming up the board. I don't think you should have any power level concerns, it's the kind of card that will scale to the power level of its environment.

Ended up going 3-1 at Prerelease with my pool last Friday, settled on an R/B Aggro deck. The rares in this set are super swingy, not sure how I feel about them even with the plethora of removal you have available. It just feels like you'd better have the right answer or boardstate otherwise you're gonna get cracked hard.

Format seems cool and there are a lot of interesting cards for Limited, but I absolutely abhor the Day/Night mechanic. It's so tedious to keep track of in paper. Seems completely fine in Arena with the client tracking the variable for you, but man is it paper unfriendly.