General (MKM, MKC, CLU) Murders at Karlov Manor Testing/Includes Mega Thread!

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.

Including:

Including if they're Cheap:

Testing:

There are a lot of cards in this set which have interesting text, but are at really bad rates or are incredibly niche. As such, there are a lot fewer slam-dunks for people's Cubes than normal. Most of the good cards are side-grades to removal spells we already have. Personally, I could see my Cube only including the hybrid cards and maybe the lands if they're inexpensive, but nothing else. I at least want to try a couple of other cards, though. I think it largely depends on what I open and how these cards end up playing in practice.

On the bright side, Neighborhood Guardian is the Unicorn I have been looking for to use in my Battle Box!

What are your plans for this set?
–GT

Probably just picking up:

and possibly Red Herring for my artifact cube.

Not a banger set for my very specific purposes this time. My main low-power cube only includes Treasures so all the investigate stuff is out, my artifact cube doesn't use tokens so again all the investigate stuff is out, disguise and cloak really don't do it for me and don't feel worth the slots, collect evidence steps on the toes of other graveyard themes I like to run, and there's not really much interesting high power stuff for me for any of my high-power cubes. So this one was a bit of a whiff for me. I am taking my green utility creatures and clean removal spells and going home.

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator

SHIP OF THESEUS​

(games play like Timeless: nasty, brutish, and short)

Will actively search out

Trostani, Three Whispers
Archdruid's Charm
Analyze the Pollen
Massacre Girl, Known Killer
Kraul Whipcracker
Axebane Ferox

And I'm also thinking maybe there's some Doorkeeper Thrull combo deck with Uro, Dreadnought, etc.

Trostani is so cool! I love 3mv 4/4s.

PULP NOUVEAU​

(y'know, the murdery one)

This is Pulp Nouveau Set Rotation Season at this rate. However, I'm afraid this list's creatures may have already outclassed a face-down Disguise, and the fact that MKM seems to be built around a bevy of cheap 1/3s and 2/4s to block the Grey Ogres is an icky wicket for otherwise innocuous low- and high-rarity cards.

But even with those reservations, I'm super excited to add higher densities of Clues and Surveillance, Collect Evidence, and all-around awesome noir flavor.

Will actively search out

Will test as packages
and the other 9 Surveil lands.
Might Test

No Clue, you ask? No. I'm still unconvinced those goofy hybrid cards are real (much less that I ought to allow 7 guilds access to such powerful rates in a cube where mana restrictions are supposed to be a core gameplay feature). At least Boros Reckoner had the decency to be triple-pip for such strong stats and abilities.

+ 9 friends
These 10 dual lands will go to level 2 and replace the 10 Temples that will get cut to avoid some cards being almost strictly better than others at the same level. They are not strong enough to be level 3 and Temples cannot go to level 1.

The only Case I want:

A little mana fixing in colorless. It's complicated enough that it has to go to level 2. It will require some reading for the players. Especially in five years when the card is still in the same spot.

I think another sweeper will be fine for level 3. It will go together with Depopulate and Shatter the Sky. No need to cut anything here.

1706269848328.jpeg
One of the Slices are the normal art. The other is the Showcase Detective art. Simply elegant both of these. I have no good arguments to include them except I feel like the fit flavorwise to a DnD inspired adventure set. They won't hurt and there are room for more spot removal spells. Low power goes to level 1. The other to either 2 or 3.

Hits the sweet spot of being flexible enough to warrent an inclusion in many green decks but it isn't too powerful. Goes fine together with You Line Up the Shot. Could easily look like it belongs in a DnD set.

Hmm sweet card.

And finally my favorite addition

And these Basics
1706268933984.jpeg1706269157306.jpeg1706269200428.jpeg1706269481778.jpeg

From the Commander set I like this one. It will most likely be the only morph/disguise card although @ravnic has tempted me into trying them out. It works as a stand-alone card though.

It seems pretty powerful but the cube name IS Ascension so it has to be here! Will go to level 3 I think. Also I like the set logo so I need to include at least one card for my mental health haha :)

The affected levels:
Level 1: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/23543?view=spoiler
Level 2: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/60f4151b590cf740dfee398f?view=spoiler&scale=medium
Level 3: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/60f41525590cf740dfee3990?view=spoiler&scale=medium

As always thank you to @TrainmasterGT for making this thread!

The one detective I will allow. Nice 2-drop for graveyard decks and another piece for the loam puzzle.

Sweet 3-drop hybrid, that does a lot for different themes in my cube. And I just love hybrids.

Sweet 3-drop hybrid, that does a lot for different themes in my cube. And I just love hybrids.

I love the art and the card is cool, but I would have to proxy that one with a cleaner wording for the first triggered ability. So that one is my maybe.

Magic meets Clue gave me more cards than most standard sets of the past two years including MKM. Who would've guessed that set could give us such clean hybrid designs with classic ravnican flavor?

My first impressions for my 1vs1 cube

Include

Amazing GY payoff that is also an enabler on a solid body. Really excited to try this one out.

A glue card that is competitively costed.

Scary card for both you and the opponent. I am going to try it over Anje's Ravager. I don't think it's quite as powerful, but I don't mind since it's a hybrid in two discard colors and has cross archetype synergies.

Maybe

These are nice because each card hits a lot of archetypes. Not sure I have the space though!

Not likely but cool

Multiplayer cube

Very interested

Maybe

Last edited:
Reactions: jms
180-card synergy cube

Including:

I'm in love with the sludge.

Maybe:

It's got potential, assuming I want to introduce a case to the cube.

Probably not:

Less exciting, my 360 will pick up Long Goodbye. The cards in this set have been tricky to evaluate, as there are few slam dunk Headliner Scarlett-type cards with obviously good rates. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting cards as they prove themselves elsewhere.

This set of sets has a lot to offer my cubes. I'll start with my peasant environment, which gets this very exciting cycle:

Although Bustle has some irritating trinket text about flipping a facedown card, I just love this cycle, with Flotsam//Jetsam being the major standout. For a cube built around multicolor and modality, it doesn't get much better than 3-color hybrid split cards. I honestly might add a few Disguise creatures too, just as a treat.

Speaking of hybrids, these cards are going straight in as well.

I love hybrid cards for this cube because they play so nicely with the heavy gold section.

Other frontrunners include:

Krovod Haunch
Case of the Shattered Pact
Novice Inspector
Candlestick
Snarling Gorehound
Frantic Scapegoat
A Killer Among Us
Rubblebelt Maverick
Dog Walker
Insidious Roots

Meanwhile, Welder's Workshop is always clattering away. This set wasn't a surprise treasure trove like Ixalan Underground, but there are some solid cards for me here, especially:

Just the kind of weird minigames and engine parts I like to see! Really hoping to land Disciple of the Vault into Reckless Fireweaver into Carnage Interpreter one day. One day...

Some others I'm eyeballing:

Demand Answers
Torch the Witness
Aftermath Analyst
Drag the Canal
Evidence Examiner
Gleaming Geardrake
Resonance Technician
Behind the Mask

Really happy to see a big return for Clues. I love making them and turning them into 4/4's by various means.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Interested in (this is mostly a not to self for future reference...)

I adore this new card type, completing mini quests has been fun since og Zendikar, and these all look a lot better than the first incarnation, because they actually have immediate impact and cool payoffs.

Also, no energy to explain these picks :oops:

yeah I went the whole spoiler season with zero adds that they didn't show us on day one

maybe Carnage Interpreter. maybe the surveil dual lands if I ever decide I want more fixing that etbt which I doubt I ever will.

and hopefully I'm missing something. I usually am! hopefully it's Assemble the Players because that one at least looks fun.

I forgot to mention: I'll definitely be trying the Surveil typed duals in Welder's Workshop. Probably cutting the Triomes for these, because I really think fueling the graveyard is more relevant and interesting than a third color. Plus, I've never liked the flavor break between the Ikoria triomes and Capenna triomes (even though I proxied some Alara triomes to make myself happy).

Also, here's a mini fight club for the group:

Vs.

I kind of think the Watcher is the way to go. Suspending him early seems incredible in a cube with live graveyards.

Maybes for my 180 Jeskai Cube in order of likelihood:

- Demand Answers would replace Big Score as the best version of this effect. I dont think the Treasure synergies are worth 2 mana.
- Final-Word Phantom is my fedora include. I really like flash and this is the best universal flash-giver
- Estatic Electromancer is a perfect hybrid card. I recently cut prowess from the cube but might return it based on this card.
- Red Herring is a nice cross-over for both the artifact deck, aggro deck and sacrifice deck.

At the start of the spoiler season I imagine enough Investigate cards could be printed in Jeskai colors to want to include it again, but it seems difficult for WotC to keep their complexity down.

Certain:
Aftermath Analyst: Easy upgrade on Splendid Reclamation. I can't wait to Oath of Druids into this as the only creature in my deck :)

Near Certain:
Carnage Interpreter: Really good in my environment. Hellbent, discard, and artifacts are all prevalent themes in my cube. Huge and has evasion? Sign me up.
Demand Answers: I had been running Cathartic Reunion over Thrill of Possibility, but the additional artifact synergy with Answers elevates this over reunion imo.
Axebane Ferox: Testing this over Berserk, the creature pumping Berserk archetype has evaporated over the years. There's just better options now for aggro decks (as near and dear as the archetype is to my heart)

Uncertain but Interested:
Gleaming Geardrake: I really like this card. I'm not sold on whether it's a good fit for my Izzet section.
Headliner Scarlett: I'm in the market for a good 4cmc red aggro card. I think I want to have a bit more flavor than a straight punch in the mouth. Scarlett is very good, but I think I'm going to pass
Analyze the Pollen: I think this is objectively better than Traverse the Ulvenwald, which bounces in and out of my cube often. It's a matter of finding space. May test if the Ferox doesn't stick.

Interested but Doubtful:
Novice Inspector: Love Thraben Inspector, but don't think I want a second
Sharp-Eyed Rookie: Good card that could get mileage as green fat is at an all time high in my cube. Still feels a bit a random, and I don't think I'm hurting for sizable 2 drops between Tarmogoyf, Scavenging Ooze, and Deeproot Wayfinder
Warleader's Call: Feels like it comes up just a little short for me. Maybe if it also created a token on etb.
Insidious Roots: Can get out of hand if given the time. Don't think it impacts the board quickly enough for me. My graveyard decks are often picky with their noncreature spells/permanents inclusions.
Krenko, Baron of Tin Street: Artifact archetypes are very 3 cmc dense so I'll probably pass. I also don't love tribal references in my cube.
Rubblebelt Maverick: I like Cenote Scout quite a bit more than this, and I barely had room for it.
Forensic Gadgeteer: See Krenko. I'm pretty content with Emry at 3cmc in blue (although often cheaper)
Hard-Hitting Question: Spell-based fight cards never really feel right in my environment. This is another improvement on the effect, but still a pass.

Last edited: