General (MKM, MKC, CLU) Murders at Karlov Manor Testing/Includes Mega Thread!

Don't think I've seen people talking about this one much but I might be trying Worldsoul's Rage. Feels like it could be an interesting build around that doubles as a removal spell or late game finisher in a pinch.

XRG deal X damage spell? well I think you'd still have to really force me to want one that isn't Mawloc or Clan Defiance; if the idea here is that a big X leads to an insurmountable advantage, I think Clan Defiance does that too while offering more bang for your buck at small X. i have loved clan defiance for a long long time and it's not in my cube right now (it doesn't look very strong next to Mawloc and Minsc, for example) but I think the card is very real

Last edited:
The fact that stronger gruul cards exist doesn't mean that Worldsoul's Rage isn't a great cube card, right? I mean, we're not at mtgsalvation here. The card is an elegant design with a decent floor and and a highly synergistic ceiling. It's also one of the somewhat rare cases these days where a card could totally not exist if it wasn't a red and green gold card.

So, it's been a month and I haven't cubed. I know it's a bomb in retail limited, but where did everyone land on

?

Keep in mind that my cube is on the high end of power level for posters here - much closer to something like a traditional MTGO Legacy cube, but:
-it doesn't seem True-Name Nemesis levels of oppressive
-it's a strong evasive blue threat that plays well with aggressive blue decks (always love to support those)
-and flicker effects (I only have a few but they're fun as hell and everyone here knows that)
-I don't really have an "artifacts matter" theme but there's a few ways to destroy them so it's not straight up unbeatable (though you do tend to have to catch them with their pants down mana-wise)

On the other hand:
-it is a very strong card, in ways that can be difficult to interact with (ward 2 is nowhere near hexproof but then you just pay the mana to make another body)
-it's also kind of mopey, simultaneously (it's a 2/2 which is way slower than a 3/1, even if you can move the Coat itself)
-it doesn't actually combo with ETB abilities, or even things you want to cheat in (much like the late lamented Whisperwood Elemental, who got power crept out years ago but was always a fun time and is one of those cards that would totally be in my Cube 2: Mindmoil Boogaloo)

Anyone got some experience under their belt, or just thoughts I haven't considered?

You don't have SFM or Guardian of Ghirapur or Flickerwisp?!

I still think it's pretty good in longer games. Depends how often you have those. I see you're not bothering with Batterskull right now. This looks like little Batterskull to me.

I really hate how you set up your sorting on table view lol.

You don't have SFM or Guardian of Ghirapur or Flickerwisp?!

I still think it's pretty good in longer games. Depends how often you have those. I see you're not bothering with Batterskull right now. This looks like little Batterskull to me.

I really hate how you set up your sorting on table view lol.
in my defense it actually just got messed up with the last cubecobra update - the color-affiliated lands were down at the bottom of their color where they rationally belonged instead of next to Daze and Force of Will before that and I do not know how to change it back I am not good with computer

no SFM because I'm not willing to commit to "you get Batterskull for free with it" and honestly all the SFM enablers except Clamp are blanks for everyone else except the one person who has SFM, who can then wheel it and I hate that

no Flickerwisp because I dislike double-color spells in general (Adeline, Resplendent Cathar gets a pass because I really enjoy that effect)

no Guardian of Ghirapur is probably wrong, honestly. I hadn't even considered it in because in my head it's "just worse Restoration Angel" but that's not actually true...

This peaked my interest. Can you elaborate? It looks very standard to me.
Piqued. It's a weird word. French.

Their lands and multicolored are not separated by guild and their instant/sorcery/walker/arti/ench are simply grouped as "noncreature."

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean TBH I do creature/noncreature in my spreadsheet, and categorize things as realistic rather than literal (lingering souls is a creature, bone shredder is a noncreature, etc)
I kinda want to switch to "Threat" vs "Nonthreat" because despite the typeline, sulfuric vortex and cards like it are a lot closer to creatures than they are oblivion ring, for eg.

CubeCobra I keep with authentic types so people can run queries like "how many zombies are in this list" etc

…instant/sorcery/walker/arti/ench are simply as "noncreature."

I personally seperate my cards in Creatures vs. Planeswalkers vs. Non-creature, non-planeswalkers.

In other words: What can go into combat, what can be attacked in combat and what can’t do either.

I do this in cube and Duel Commander and have always done it. I expect to give Battles their own category also or maybe put them together with planeswalkers.

Their lands and multicolored are not separated by guild and their instant/sorcery/walker/arti/ench are simply grouped as "noncreature."
Yeah, I had considered guild separations but honestly, all my fixing cycles are complete cycles (except that since there's only six Horizon Canopys I run four lousy Blightstep Pathways instead - the strongest argument for customs, for me, was when they showed off Onslaught fetches back again in MH3, cause now I think they won't complete the cycle!) and I only have two gold cards per color and I kind of hated seeing "Golgari (2)" ten times. But it's a valid point, I might play around with it a bit and see how it is.

I do stand by creature/noncreature though - first thing I look at in a cube list is the mana curve and it only being two clumps makes it much easier to parse for me! Just my opinion, obviously.

Yeah, I had considered guild separations but honestly, all my fixing cycles are complete cycles (except that since there's only six Horizon Canopys I run four lousy Blightstep Pathways instead - the strongest argument for customs, for me, was when they showed off Onslaught fetches back again in MH3, cause now I think they won't complete the cycle!) and I only have two gold cards per color and I kind of hated seeing "Golgari (2)" ten times. But it's a valid point, I might play around with it a bit and see how it is.
See, I run a lot of lands outside of cycles and I run varying numbers of multicolored cards.

I'd say Canopies are super fair game to proxy. Hardly even counts as custom. That said, MH3 is a great opportunity for them to finish this cycle.
I do stand by creature/noncreature though - first thing I look at in a cube list is the mana curve and it only being two clumps makes it much easier to parse for me! Just my opinion, obviously.
When I change to sort by curve, it makes that distinction automatically.

None of it really matters, but it was surprising to see a change from the default.

That said, MH3 is a great opportunity for them to finish this cycle.
oh my god yes please wotc (I really do think I'll have to wait for MH4 or Legacy Horizons or something. Can't see them doing five fetches plus five Horizon Canopies that are all allied fixers in the same set. Would love to be wrong, though!)

oh my god yes please wotc (I really do think I'll have to wait for MH4 or Legacy Horizons or something. Can't see them doing five fetches plus five Horizon Canopies that are all allied fixers in the same set. Would love to be wrong, though!)
I don't think they ever did two cycles of allied rare lands in the same draft expansion. But they could downshift the Horizon Lands at uncommon :cool:

I'm curious: at a lower power level (let's say pauper cube style), how many disguise cards do you think is the right number to run? Like, I think that running 2-3 has not much sense since they lose a lot of the surprise effect, but do you think that having 10 in a 360 cube (for example, all 10 the bicoloured ones) could be enough to have some mind games like in MKM retail limited?

I'm curious: at a lower power level (let's say pauper cube style), how many disguise cards do you think is the right number to run? Like, I think that running 2-3 has not much sense since they lose a lot of the surprise effect, but do you think that having 10 in a 360 cube (for example, all 10 the bicoloured ones) could be enough to have some mind games like in MKM retail limited?
The more the merrier!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
[…] but do you think that having 10 in a 360 cube (for example, all 10 the bicoloured ones) could be enough to have some mind games like in MKM retail limited?
If you include only the 10 bicolor ones, there are (near) zero mind games involved if your opponent is on two colors. The only “game” involved then is whether people remember what each disguise card does.

I’ll say limit to two or three colors. Let it be something special a Guild or Shard can do.

I would also say you should not have too many. I think maybe 10 (Guild) or 15 (Shard) should do.

If you include only the 10 bicolor ones, there are (near) zero mind games involved if your opponent is on two colors. The only “game” involved then is whether people remember what each disguise card does.
Mhh I slightly disagree on this, the disguise cost is hybrid, so a U/R player could have Dog Walker or Undercover Crocodelf, for example.

EDIT: but it is right that, in putting the disguise cards, I am giving a lot of advantages to people that remember exactly what every disguise card does, and I don't know how much I want to reward pure memory over gameplay decisions

I’ll say limit to two or three colors. Let it be something special a Guild or Shard can do.

I would also say you should not have too many. I think maybe 10 (Guild) or 15 (Shard) should do.
This is interesting, but makes them more desirable for the player that is in the right guild/shard rather than to everybody. Maybe this is also not a downside though

Last edited: