Sets (MKM) Murders at Karlov Manor Previews

Damn it, now I want to include morph cards in the lower power parts of my cube!

Do it.

If I remember correctly, you regularly cube with newbies. I've seen many beginners say 'I play a morph' with a smirky face. They love the mystery. And so do I.

GD-yKhXWUAA171d.jpeg

Basic Lands! Looks like one from each guild. I'm a big fan of the Selesnya Plains, the Golgari Swamp, and the Selesnya (?) Forest. Actually, it seems like Orzhov doesn't get a basic land, and Selesnya gets two, so maybe I'm confusing the top Plains.

en_f0b0162f0f.png
The Affinity for Planeswalkers is just cute flavor text (he loves Ral!) and the bottom paragraph is written in a needlessly complex way for 1v1 Magic. And yet, I'm intrigued. This signals a defensive BW deck that essentially forces your opponents into single combat, giving you opportunities to out grind them down. A 2/4 flyer with vigilance is under-rate but not wholly embarrassing, and it thankfully avoids Bolts.

Last edited:
1705436351926.png

This randomly hits some nice notes for me. Sacrificing artifacts, producing tokens, loading on +1/+1 counters and the tap ability (Jeskai Ascendancy + Paradox Engine).
The floor is also really good and in case of a board stall it can sit back and grow past blockers.

1705436592156.png

This made me think of Ravnic's request in another thread for a Red token payoff. It's Boros but so perfect. I will be playing this in my MP cube for sure.

dogwalker.jpg
defenestratedphantom.jpg

How are we feeling about Disguise? I'm happy to see another morph variant, although it's kind of a shame that these won't play well with old morph cards because you'll have to specify that it's a disguise creature and not a morph creature, so you can't really have one pretending to be another. I could also see ward on a facedown card being kind of a gotcha for players who aren't familiar with it, seems easy to forget about and walk right into.

exposetheculprit.jpg
There's also "cloak" which is more like manifest I guess? I find this thing they've been doing with this set and LCI where there's two similar but slightly different mechanics in the same set to be pretty odd.

Last edited:
Interested in collect evidence, and to a lesser extent the "draw two cards" cards since they are probably just relegated to limited fodder from experience.
The theme and wording of the set is extremely off-putting so far though. It gives me Hearthstone vibes, come to think of it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
View attachment 9183

I think I like this. A more reasonable, less wordy Questing Beast
If you keep the curve of your cube super low, prepare for this to just have hexproof some of the time :p

There is also the moose, who despite being a dfc has less text overall then a lot of one sided cards.
This card is a lot more blockable, but also trades up into sheoldred/siege rhino, etc. Interesting option

the bottom paragraph is written in a needlessly complex way for 1v1 Magic.

This templating annoys me so much. I'm assuming this is from the main set and not even a commander set? If the wording has to be like this for it to work in multiplayer, they need to redesign the card rather than print this. "Whenever an opponent attacks with creatures, ..." is nonsense in a game where the only things you can attack with are creatures.

There's also "cloak" which is more like manifest I guess? I find this thing they've been doing with this set and LCI where there's two similar but slightly different mechanics in the same set to be pretty odd.
I don't mind this so much, they had manifest co-existing with morph and megamorph in Khans block and it worked fine. They might also limit cloaking to creatures with disguise to avoid the slightly awkward rules of flipping manifests for their mana cost.

View attachment 9183

I think I like this. A more reasonable, less wordy Questing Beast

I find the flavour of "collect evidence" on a beast very funny. Gotta build an air-tight case against this guy, his lawyers are top notch.

sharpeyedrookie.jpg

This is a perfect example of a card that would theoretically be far simpler if they reused an old keyword:

Sharp-Eyed Rookie - {1}{G}
Creature - Human Detective
Vigilance
Evolve
Whenever ~ evolves, investigate.
2/2

And yet they didn't, probably because then they'd need to put in the reminder text for Evolve (which would be just as wordy...)

crimenovelist.jpg

This guy probably isn't going into the Capitalism Cube if I ever go back to that kind of design, because dear lord it'd be ridiculous in that context. Even outside of it, this thing is a beast if your format has a bunch of trinket-y artifacts to crack.

branchofvitughazi.jpg

This, on the other hand, is a pretty sweet card that seems like it'd have quite a bit of play. It is, however, hilariously power-creeped over something like Zoetic Cavern.

@ravnic
I mean, you could just sharpie out Disguise and replace it with Morph? All of the designs we've seen so far would still function cleanly if they morphed instead of disguising.

Also, hey, we've gotten some examples of the new enchantment type (ignore that it looks a lot like Classes):

caseofthepilferedproof.jpg
caseofthefilchedfalcon.jpg
caseoftheransackedlab.jpg
thecaseofmedusaskiss.jpg

That last one is...

Case of the Medusa's Kiss - {B}
Enchantment - Case
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target creature that was dealt damage this turn.
To solve - if three or more creatures have been put into a graveyard from anywhere this turn.
Solved - ~ becomes a 4/4 Medusa creature with deathtouch and lifelink in addition to its other types and abilities.

Color me intrigued... but part of me is a little frustrated that this is another enchantment subtype that we'll probably never see again? And it's a shame, because "enchantment that upgrades if you meet a specific condition" seems like pretty fertile design space...

(Am I still a tiny bit salty that they did so little with the Cartouches? Yes, yes I am.)

@ravnic
I mean, you could just sharpie out Disguise and replace it with Morph? All of the designs we've seen so far would still function cleanly if they morphed instead of disguising.

I might make versions of them that use morph instead if there are enough designs I like. But I would have to make them actual customs with different names so people don't think their thing would be a disguise card they know from retail?

I don't know. This feels, once again, like an anti-cube-policy. Doing such a minor change to mechanic that was already difficult to support in cube. If they at least would've made the change really matter, like making them 2/3s or something, I would've understand it, but Ward 2? If your environment was so powerful that your three-drop dying to removal without generating value was a bad outcome, it was an environment too powerful for morphs anyway. That doesn't change that imo.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F739718438133661696
Yeah sure. More like it's time to introduce custom designs, old man.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I might make versions of them that use morph instead if there are enough designs I like. But I would have to make them actual customs with different names so people don't think their thing would be a disguise card they know from retail?
I would go ahead and replace every instance of morph with disguise instead :)